Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Observation - Most Popular Centerfire Calibers

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Cattle Driver
Australia

Re: Observation - Most Popular Centerfire Calibers

Post by 220 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:23 pm

For the man with only one lever action the 44mag is a great choice, it was my first lever.
Then I added a 357mag and the 44mag didn't get used nearly as much, when I added a 45/70 the 44mag never got used.
It is a non contest when it comes to the effectiveness on large and medium game between the 45/70 and 44 and if your chasing small game the 357 is much more suitable yet can still handle medium game if the need arises.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:49 pm

It's an old song for so many of us, but every time I hear about how that old-timer 45-70 still manages to outdo so many modern cartridges, I can't help but smile.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:01 pm

And if I could only have one Im gonna be the odd man out. It would be the 41mag
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:33 am

North Country Gal wrote:Not sure I would read too much into the fact that Henry has the 44 mag in more of their lines, but you could be right. Without actual sales figures, though, we're all just guessing.

in thinking about it, guessing is absolutely correct .... but its a guess that seems to me to be based on pretty sound logic ... disclaimer ===> sometimes what seems logical to me doesn't to my wife .. :? .. based on following Henry for a good while, it seems clear that they do their homework in determining what types and calibers of rifles they manufacture .... as mentioned earlier, I don't think they manufacture rifles with the intent of having them sit on dealer shelves .... thus, when they introduce a new line, they chamber it for ammo that they believe will be in demand .... there isn't a 44 Mag Long Ranger for a reason .... not too long ago they introduced two lines of single shot rifles ... in steel they offer 5 calibers ---- .223, 243, .308, .44 Magnum, and .45-70 .... in brass they offer 2 calibers ---- .44 Magnum and .45-70
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:42 am

Jim, did you consider contacting Henry to learn from them what their info shows to be the "Most Popular Centerfire Calibers?" Wonder if they would give that to you since you're a "Town Marshal / Deputy Admin" on the HRF? ;) It would eliminate our guessing. Plus it would be interesting to find out.
PT7

JEBar wrote:
North Country Gal wrote:Not sure I would read too much into the fact that Henry has the 44 mag in more of their lines, but you could be right. Without actual sales figures, though, we're all just guessing.
in thinking about it, guessing is absolutely correct .... but its a guess that seems to me to be based on pretty sound logic ...
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:24 pm

PT7 wrote:Jim, did you consider contacting Henry to learn from them what their info shows to be the "Most Popular Centerfire Calibers?"
PT7

nope, I'd not considered doing so .. :?

after reading your question, I picked up the phone and called them .. :D

the fellow I spoke with said his computer was down so he couldn't give any numbers but he said he does know that overall their best selling caliber is 22LR .... for centerfires it is 44 by a large margin 8-)
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:07 pm

The .22LR best seller is not a surprise, both because Henry makes such great H001 rifles, and the fact that .22LR is an inexpensive ammo. Interesting to learn for centerfire it is the .44 by a large margin. Sheds a new light on that caliber for me, and will look forward to read up on it a little more.

Thanks for helping to minimize our guessing in this thread! ;)
0 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:48 pm

It is guess-work, but it seems like it might also be the old chicken and egg when it comes to the re-launch and growth of HRA. If they re-launched with an emphasis on .44 due the Henry history, is it safe to assume that they offered more models in that caliber from the get-go? If so, and they sold lots of them, then the sales data would say 'Let's offer more in .44,' which served them well, while listening to customer demand for other caliber choices. It will be interesting to see how everything might even out as Henry continues to grow. Product development seems to be a strong suit, so it will be interesting to watch...
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:12 pm

JEBar wrote:
PT7 wrote:Jim, did you consider contacting Henry to learn from them what their info shows to be the "Most Popular Centerfire Calibers?"
PT7

nope, I'd not considered doing so .. :?

after reading your question, I picked up the phone and called them .. :D

the fellow I spoke with said his computer was down so he couldn't give any numbers but he said he does know that overall their best selling caliber is 22LR .... for centerfires it is 44 by a large margin 8-)
That's close enough. I'd say that settles it about the 44 being number in both lines and sales of center fire Henrys. Observation, confirmed.
2 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:15 pm

I have been considering a 357. I have not shoot a 44 mag. But, I guess people prefer shooting them out of a rifle than a handgun. I could be wrong. But, it seems like the recoil in a handgun could be challenging to deal with on a continuous basis. So, a 357 make be more fun to shoot in a handgun or rifle. Just my 2 cent.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).