Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

PT7 -- my short primer on shooting off hand

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
PT7
Drover
United States of America

PT7 -- my short primer on shooting off hand

Post by PT7 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:40 am

In my Range Report yesterday http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4960, JEBar commented about eliminating as many variables as possible when sighting in a rifle. I 100% agree.

When I posted that I had sighted in my BBS .357 Magnum by shooting off hand, standing, I wasn't spouting or showing off in any fashion since I know JEBar is spot on. My son-in-law and other shootin' friends also agree. That rifle barrel floats all over the range when shooting off hand. :shock: So just briefly I'll ponder why I do this type of shooting.

I cannot ever get my cheek weld set or head low enough to shoot with a rest off a bench. Something eludes me here. Plus when my head is at that awkward position, eyeglasses and lenses 1, 2, and 3 (tri-focals) do tend to cross-over each other. And during the crossover, those lines are pretty pesky, too! I've been there and done that. As soon as I set aside the bench rest, everything clears up!

Standing and shooting off hand just feels so much more natural. I raise my rifle up and it all fits comfortably, and gives me the best position to shoot. My biggest challenge when either sighting in or shooting a rifle, is keeping that barrel from waving the wheat. I'm getting better at it, but know I'll never have a rifle sighted in for any type of target competition. And that is okay for me also since making those tinier and tinier 5-round groups is not my goal. What else can I say?

Ah, there is one more thing. Ever since I watched Davy in a shootin' match (off hand, standing) with Big Foot Mason, figured that two bullets on top of each other was doable! ;) Check that shooting here ---> https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=fe ... &FORM=VIRE

Off hand, standing is my best way to shoot, and I like it a lot. :D
JEBar wrote:I have to hand it to you, no way I'd try to adjust the sight on any firearm without having it firmly supported on a solid surface (AKA shooting bench) .... for me to properly adjust sights, I have to remove every possible variable that I can control .... the unsteadiness of my off hand is one such variable .... once I get the sights locked in, I will fire off hand but haven't ever been able to do so as part of the process of adjusting the sights
2 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: PT7 -- my short primer on shooting off hand

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:31 am

Good for you, PT. While standing is a very natural position for shooting, don't forget to try kneeling and, especially sitting. Those can provide the same comfortable cheek rest and, of course, are steadier.

I have the same issues at the bench with my glasses. If you can find a taller rest or an adjustable rest that goes high enough with a bag, it will help. That's what I do.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:35 am

And that is okay for me also since making those tinier and tinier 5-round groups is not my goal. What else can I say?
And thats all right! Heck the targets I have posted are typically shot off hand as this comprises most of my shooting.
I will occasionally use a bench (as I will be today) such as if I am trying out some new loads and I want to confirm they are consistent and accurate and as soon as thats done I am off the bench.
Part of the problem is lever action rifles do not lend themselves to bench shooting as well a other styles. The long, narrow straight grips of most levers makes it difficult to bench rest them properly.
You might want to get a steel 'gong' you can set up and shoot at. A 3" steel gong is a great target. No need for 'tiny groups and sure know when you hit it! Bring a can of blaze orange spray paint to occasionally 'refresh'' it.
If you know a welder or metal fabricator you could have him make a nice free standing one. I have made a few myself.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:03 pm

Where I'm at in my current developmental phase, like JEBAR, I'm working toward removing the variables. Also making those tinier and tinier 5-round groups at 100yds. I want to be consistently inside 2 inch groups. I've managed inside 4 inches ungrouped with a forward stand/rest while sitting at a shooting table. My POA still wanders because I can't sit still long enough to lock it in. The butt stock moves with my shoulder wandering. I'll probably be getting a bag to try and minimize butt stock drift so that my shoulder has less affect.

Thanks PT for sharing. I enjoy reading about what goes on inside other folks head, where their thoughts are going, the results they hope for and achieve.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:31 pm

Mistered wrote:...You might want to get a steel 'gong' you can set up and shoot at. A 3" steel gong is a great target. No need for 'tiny groups and sure know when you hit it! Bring a can of blaze orange spray paint to occasionally 'refresh'' it.
If you know a welder or metal fabricator you could have him make a nice free standing one. I have made a few myself.
Friend of my daughter made this one for me. Made 2 sets of paddles for it. I don't remember the exact diameters, 3 inch-ish and 5ish I think. Anyway, hitting a paddle, it flips to the other side of the pole. Where you can shoot it again and it flips back. Not only do I get the 'gong' thud of hitting steel, but I get the joy of seeing the target react. For some reason one of the paddles is more nimble than the others. When I hit it, it flips to the other side but then bounces back to it's original position. Pole leans toward the shooter so that bullet shrapnel is deflected into the ground.
20180728_085726z.jpg
20180728_085738z.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:01 pm

interesting concept .... thanks for posting about it
0 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:49 pm

When I shoot off hand in a non hunting situation and I'm concentrating on a fixed target I find leaning against a tree or other support to be helpful. I like the kneeling position also but my knees don't! I also find when shooting off hand, I've learned to focus on the target with my rifle down then snap it to my cheek , acquire my site quickly settle it and squeeze off. The longer I try to hold on target off hand the more my rifle barrel makes circles in the air and the bigger the circles get ! Ain't as steady as I used to be. Anyway this works for me pretty well and I find it say I'm shooting at water jugs or whatever , I can quickly move from one to another keeping cheek on gun and maintaining my site picture. I can squeeze off some decently quick and accurate shots in this way.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:07 pm

PT, those are called shooting trees and are a blast to use. One of my favorite reactive targets for pistol work. Nnother big fan of shooting steel, here. It's 99% of my shooting on our back yard air gun range. In some ways, I think shooting steel is better practice for hunting than shooting paper bullseyes. Steel targets blend into the background more than a black bull on white paper. Simulates field shooting and hunting, better.

By the way, you can definitely use steel targets to improve your group sizes. Start out with a size large enough to give you a good percentage of hits, then start shooting the next size down, until you can do the same, and so on. That saves you tacking up paper target, but gives you a nice challenge. I especially like spinner targets that use several size spinners for this work.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:13 pm

For a short primer on some so-so shooting, I liked seeing the varied interest and so many responses & suggestions. I'll need to get to the outdoor range soon to ensure I use all this good stuff! Thanks to all, & WOW...it's a great list to work through!

The best part of the fun is deciding to go shoot next with a revolver or rifle. Cool 8-) to have to make such "tough" decisions! :D
North Country Gal wrote:Good for you, PT. While standing is a very natural position for shooting, don't forget to try kneeling and, especially sitting. Those can provide the same comfortable cheek rest and, of course, are steadier.
Mistered wrote:And thats all right! Heck the targets I have posted are typically shot off hand as this comprises most of my shooting. … Part of the problem is lever action rifles do not lend themselves to bench shooting as well a other styles. The long, narrow straight grips of most levers makes it difficult to bench rest them properly.
You might want to get a steel 'gong' you can set up and shoot at. A 3" steel gong is a great target.
Mags wrote:Where I'm at in my current developmental phase, like JEBAR, I'm working toward removing the variables. …..
Thanks PT for sharing. I enjoy reading about what goes on inside other folks head, where their thoughts are going, the results they hope for and achieve.
Mags wrote:
Mistered wrote:...You might want to get a steel 'gong' you can set up and shoot at. A 3" steel gong is a great target.....sure know when you hit it! Bring a can of blaze orange spray paint to occasionally 'refresh'' it.
Friend of my daughter made this one for me. Made 2 sets of paddles for it. I don't remember the exact diameters, 3 inch-ish and 5ish I think. Anyway, hitting a paddle, it flips to the other side of the pole. Where you can shoot it again and it flips back. ... Pole leans toward the shooter so that bullet shrapnel is deflected into the ground.
Ozarkridgerunner wrote:When I shoot off hand in a non hunting situation and I'm concentrating on a fixed target I find leaning against a tree or other support to be helpful. …... I can squeeze off some decently quick and accurate shots in this way.
North Country Gal wrote:PT, those are called shooting trees and are a blast to use. One of my favorite reactive targets for pistol work. Nother big fan of shooting steel, here. It's 99% of my shooting on our back yard air gun range. In some ways, I think shooting steel is better practice for hunting than shooting paper bullseyes. Steel targets blend into the background more than a black bull on white paper. Simulates field shooting and hunting, better.
By the way, you can definitely use steel targets to improve your group sizes. Start out with a size large enough to give you a good percentage of hits, then start shooting the next size down, until you can do the same, and so on. That saves you tacking up paper target, but gives you a nice challenge. I especially like spinner targets that use several size spinners for this work.
0 x

~Пока~

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:46 pm

I saw a marked improvement in my off hand shooting when I disregarded most of what I had read over the years.

My technique now is very simple, align the sights on target, disregard the wobble concentrate on the sights and squeeze the trigger.
You can not do anything about the wobble at the time you are taking the shot, it is as good as you can hold at the time and provided you squeeze the trigger and don't jerk it the shot will land somewhere within your hold. Actually it is twice as likely to land in the middle of your hold area as the extreme right or left simple because you cross over the middle twice for every time you move left to right.

If you want to improve your hold then practice is good but simple things like increasing your core strength and improving your balance can really help.
4 x