Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

PT7 -- my short primer on shooting off hand

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: PT7 -- my short primer on shooting off hand

Post by Mags » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:48 pm

North Country Gal wrote:PT, those are called shooting trees and are a blast to use...
By the way, you can definitely use steel targets to improve your group sizes. Start out with a size large enough to give you a good percentage of hits...
Well, something happened to a follow up post I made much earlier in the day. Anyway more specifically the apparatus is call a dueling shooting tree. The game is for two people to shoot the same number of rounds at the paddles. The panels are typically painted different colors on opposite sides, so that in the heat of the game the shooter doesn't accidentally shoot his opponents paddles. One opponent shoots only paddles on the left side of the tree, the other opponent only the right side of the tree. Whoever runs out of ammo first with the least number of paddles on their side of the tree wins the match.

Like NCG suggested I've used the tree for practicing groups. I have 12 targets out there counting both sides and don't need to visit the stand to replace a target. Just spray paint after using up all 12 sides. One trip.

75yds
paddle.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:25 am

220 wrote:My technique now is very simple, align the sights on target, disregard the wobble concentrate on the sights and squeeze the trigger.
I can agree. Sometimes, taking too long to aim could be a bad thing. I remember qualifying with a M16 as a correctional officer. I think we were shooting from about 100 yards. It was about 12 years ago. So, the details are not as clear as they once was. Anyway, out of a group of about 20 or so, I ending up with the best score (I guess we all could have been fairly bad). But, I simply pointed, took a quick aim and squeezed off rounds. One of the instructors was looking down my shoulder. I guess he was trying to figure out how I was aiming. I figured, it was either do or die. If I did have to shoot an inmate, I would not have much time to aim or think about it. So, I let the chips fall were they may.

I have been working on something similar with my lever action. But, I have been using a bench to check my sight alignment. Yet, sight alignment is relative. What works for one, may not work for another. The point is ordnance on target. When that is achieved, all is good. At least, that is how I see it.
Last edited by GFK on Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:20 am

Mags wrote:
Mistered wrote:...You might want to get a steel 'gong' you can set up and shoot at. A 3" steel gong is a great target. No need for 'tiny groups and sure know when you hit it! Bring a can of blaze orange spray paint to occasionally 'refresh'' it.
If you know a welder or metal fabricator you could have him make a nice free standing one. I have made a few myself.
Friend of my daughter made this one for me. Made 2 sets of paddles for it. I don't remember the exact diameters, 3 inch-ish and 5ish I think. Anyway, hitting a paddle, it flips to the other side of the pole. Where you can shoot it again and it flips back. Not only do I get the 'gong' thud of hitting steel, but I get the joy of seeing the target react. For some reason one of the paddles is more nimble than the others. When I hit it, it flips to the other side but then bounces back to it's original position. Pole leans toward the shooter so that bullet shrapnel is deflected into the ground.

20180728_085726z.jpg20180728_085738z.jpg
That's why I enjoy shooting metallic targets. I really like hearing the sound of the bullet hitting the metal. There are three "trees" like that at American Shooting Center pistol range There's is a 3" and 5" at 10 yards then another 5" at 25 yards. I think they make a better shooter out of someone over paper targets. The concentration is much higher.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:35 am

Taking too long to make a shot IS a mistake. For every shot, you have a short window of opportunity to put it all together and make a good shot. That's when you're at your potential best. If that window of opportunity when you're at your best has passed, you should lower your gun, relax, then give it another try. Competition shooters know this and practice it all the time.

This DOES NOT mean you should rush your shot and snap it off, however. Consistent shooting means having a set routine for every shot and following it, starting with the way you hold, then raise the gun all the way through the shot with proper follow through. At the moment of the shot, though, 100% concentration on the sight picture is vital. You should not be thinking about any other aspect of your routine. The only way to achieve this routine and be able to switch to a 100% focus on your sight picture when it comes time to shoot is a LOT of practice.
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:09 am

NCG,
Will always pursue this advice.
The more practice, the better the shooter; plus more enjoyable range time will be had! :D
North Country Gal wrote:Taking too long to make a shot IS a mistake...
The only way to achieve this routine .... is a LOT of practice.
0 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:59 am

North Country Gal wrote:Taking too long to make a shot IS a mistake. For every shot, you have a short window of opportunity to put it all together and make a good shot. That's when you're at your potential best. If that window of opportunity when you're at your best has passed, you should lower your gun, relax, then give it another try. Competition shooters know this and practice it all the time.

This DOES NOT mean you should rush your shot and snap it off, however. Consistent shooting means having a set routine for every shot and following it, starting with the way you hold, then raise the gun all the way through the shot with proper follow through. At the moment of the shot, though, 100% concentration on the sight picture is vital. You should not be thinking about any other aspect of your routine. The only way to achieve this routine and be able to switch to a 100% focus on your sight picture when it comes time to shoot is a LOT of practice.
I'm the perfect role model for what not to do. I hold too long and while wavering, anticipate the direction rifle is going an end up snapping off a shot. More often than not I get lucky at keeping the shot at least on the target (ungrouped inside 4" at 100 yds). I do have to work at doing it right, but it seems in 'forcing' the work I'm worse and don't have as much fun with it.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:10 am

Got to thinking about this after shooting last weekend. Lately it seems I have gotten too 'hung up' on shooting paper. while part of it has been due to working up optimal target loads for my Henry and Winchesters and while no doubt important in doing so, I need to get off the bench and paper once I am 'on target' and get back to field shooting. Bench and paper are no doubt essential with new loads, sights etc. but there are far too many pine cones, sticks & rocks that need to be sent flying along with jackrabbits that need to be turned into raven and vulture food!
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:25 am

You're right, PT. Paper punching and field shooting are not the same. When we get off the range, very few targets come with bullseyes on them. If your range allows it, shooting steel at the range is very good practice for field shooting and hunting, plus a lot of fun in the bargain.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:46 am

Mistered wrote:Got to thinking about this after shooting last weekend. Lately it seems I have gotten too 'hung up' on shooting paper. while part of it has been due to working up optimal target loads for my Henry and Winchesters and while no doubt important in doing so, I need to get off the bench and paper once I am 'on target' and get back to field shooting. Bench and paper are no doubt essential with new loads, sights etc. but there are far too many pine cones, sticks & rocks that need to be sent flying along with jackrabbits that need to be turned into raven and vulture food!
This is true. Bench helps in preparing for the main event(s): fun, hunting, or shooting.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:45 am

Mistered wrote:Got to thinking about this after shooting last weekend. Lately it seems I have gotten too 'hung up' on shooting paper. while part of it has been due to working up optimal target loads for my Henry and Winchesters and while no doubt important in doing so, I need to get off the bench and paper once I am 'on target' and get back to field shooting. Bench and paper are no doubt essential with new loads, sights etc. but there are far too many pine cones, sticks & rocks that need to be sent flying along with jackrabbits that need to be turned into raven and vulture food!
Those big ginormous Ponderosa pine cones I bet really dance around when hit.
0 x