Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Lever action design strength

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Lever action design strength

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:58 pm

Thanks for the link and the conversation. Thanks to all again.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:00 pm

JEBar wrote:
Ozarkridgerunner wrote:Also back to the Ruger #1 loads , are there many if any factory loads or are these rounds strictly handloads ? If there are Ruger only factory loads are they clearly designated as such ? I would imagine in our law suit happy world they would have to really cover themselves.
while I suspect that there may be some Ruger #1 factory loads out there, I don't ever recall seeing a box of them .... outside of some Cowboy Action ammo, the same is true for the lowest power Trapdoor Springfield loads .... the factory rounds customarily found on store shelves are commonly known as being for Marlin 1895 level actions .... Henry designs and builds its rifle actions to that meet that standard ....
0 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:23 am

Thanks JEBar , I know you have shared a good bit of information on the .45-70 and I really appreciate it. I suspect to be shooting factory rounds for now until hopefully I can get set up to do some hand loading. That being said I will probably be shooting mostly the milder factory loads. I guess I am just intrigued with the range of loads that one is capable of using out of the old workhorse. I'm also certain my ammo budget won't allow me to be feeding my Henry many of the custom loads. Just good to know from folks with experience what my gun is capable of handling if I get the opportunity. Thank you again.
0 x

mrguvna
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by mrguvna » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:59 am

I love my 45-70's but only own a Marlin and a Ruger #1 in that caliber. I would ask henry folks but I believe any factory ammo you can buy should be good to shoot out of the Henry. The Buffalo Barnes rounds are about the highest velocity you can purchase and they are good in the Marlin, but they are unpleasant to shoot, especially the 300 gr. they are hot loads. I would imagine that the Henry would be up to those loads.

As far as Ruger #1 loads I have never seen commercially available loads for the ruger #1 in 45-70. I load some myself! I use the barnes tsx 250 gr flying ashtray going 2500+ out of the ruger, I call it the watermelon smasher. It can send pieces of watermelon airborne for at least 15-20 second hang time. I use red fingernail polish to mark the primers so as not to fire in the marlin.

My most accurate load in the Marlin is the Elmer Keith load of 400gr speer over 53 gr of 3031. The marlin handles this load just fine but it does get your attention when firing. I have not chornied it but imagine it is in the 1800 area. knocks deer down to the ground quickly. I would think that the Henry would be up to this kind of load.

What has Henry suggested to follow for handloading?
0 x

mrguvna
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by mrguvna » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:59 am

I love my 45-70's but only own a Marlin and a Ruger #1 in that caliber. I would ask henry folks but I believe any factory ammo you can buy should be good to shoot out of the Henry. The Buffalo Barnes rounds are about the highest velocity you can purchase and they are good in the Marlin, but they are unpleasant to shoot, especially the 300 gr. they are hot loads. I would imagine that the Henry would be up to those loads.

As far as Ruger #1 loads I have never seen commercially available loads for the ruger #1 in 45-70. I load some myself! I use the barnes tsx 250 gr flying ashtray going 2500+ out of the ruger, I call it the watermelon smasher. It can send pieces of watermelon airborne for at least 15-20 second hang time. I use red fingernail polish to mark the primers so as not to fire in the marlin.

My most accurate load in the Marlin is the Elmer Keith load of 400gr speer over 53 gr of 3031. The marlin handles this load just fine but it does get your attention when firing. I have not chornied it but imagine it is in the 1800 area. knocks deer down to the ground quickly. I would think that the Henry would be up to this kind of load.

What has Henry suggested to follow for handloading?
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:15 pm

mrguvna wrote:What has Henry suggested to follow for handloading?
for reasons centered on liability lawsuits (AKA lawyers), Henry recommends only using factory ammo that meets SAAMI Specs .... what they will say is their rifles are designed to the same specs as the "Newly Manufactured Marlin 1895" rifles .... Ruger #1 loads are specifically not recommended ..... I suspect that one can expect the same type of recoil in a Henry that you will find in a corresponding Marlin .... for our hunting loads I use Nosler's Loading Manual and follow their recommendation for 51.5 gr of IMR 4198 their 300 gr Ballistic Silvertips .... for a paper punching trapdoor load that is fun to shoot, I use the same bullet pushed by 31.1 gr of IMR 4198
1 x