Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Lever action design strength

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Lever action design strength

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:05 am

I have been doing some digging into lever action designs and strengths of the various models over the years. With the technology and advances of metallurgy of today , I'm sure a well designed firearm is capable of handling the hotter loads , i.e. the +P ammunition. That being said I have read in many reviews and opinions on such designs as the old Highwall that are still rated as some of the strongest lever gun designs ever. Then to the modern era guns , there seems to be a lot of folks in the lever gun world who allow as to the Marlin guns as being the gold standard of lever gun strength. In these comparisons I am referring to the heavy hitters , particularly the .45-70. I was wondering if some of you folks who have more knowledge than I on this subject could lend your thoughts. This is of particular interest to me as I will be a first time owner of the Henry H010CC. What are the differences in front and rear locking actions on the lever guns ? I am not looking to push the limits on hot loaded ammo in my new Henry as it should provide all the performance I need in standard loads. Looking for some kind insight on this subject from you knowledgeable levergun shooters out there. I know the Henry is a great gun and design . How does it stack up in comparison of strength with the Marlins?
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Lever action design strength

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:45 am

The problem is that there have been a number of actual locking designs and build designs in lever guns, over its history. All lever guns are not the same as far as action. For instance, the Browning designed Winchetser 1895 lever gun that was built to shoot the 30-06 or the even more radical Savage 99 and it's ability to shoot the 300 Savage and the like. Then there are modern rotaing bolt designs like the BLR that can handle all kinds of modern cartridges.

Big bruiser though it may be, the 45-70 is not a high pressure round and as long as you stay with appropriate loads, I doubt you could wear out any modern 45-70 lever gun and that includes the Henry, even if you shot the higher end lever loads in it. From personal experience, with those loads you'll wear out your shoulder before the gun, anyway. I would have no problem buying a Henry 45-70 in that regard.
0 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:10 pm

Thank you ma'am. You always impart sage advice and one can tell you speak from experience and knowledge on your posts and replies.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:30 pm

You are so welcome. Thank-you.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:02 pm

speaking for our Henry CCH 45-70, it has proven well over a thousand times that it can handle the highest powered 45-70 Government loads for which it is designed (not to be confused with Ruger #1 loads) .... its ability to do so is of no concern to us
0 x

shootinthecinders
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by shootinthecinders » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:14 pm

There is an issue with the bolts of some lever actions when shooting higher powered loads in .357 and .44 magnum. I found this quote online taken from the Speer #12 reloading manual. It states: "All lever-action 357 magnum rifles have a bolt which lock at the rear.This allows the bolt to spring slightly during firing, stretching the case.Use only new or once-fired cases for Maximum loads" I and others have experienced case splits or separation as a possible result of this “slight springiness”. In my case I was using premium commercial .357 magnum ammunition with new Starline brass. I didn’t know at the time that this was a possible cause until searching many other gun forums. Being new to lever actions, I had never considered this possibility with new, unfired brass.
1 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:55 pm

Again I appreciate all of the feedback. What exactly is a Ruger # 1 only load in the .45-70 ? I assume it exceeds max pressures recommended for the other actions. I have read also they will chamber the longer 500 + grain cartridges. I don't want to supercharge a round in my Henry to the max. I just hear conflicting opinions such as which lever guns are suitable for say the Buffalo Bore or Garrett ammo. Especially if I were ever fortunate enough to get to hunt the big bad critters.
0 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:21 pm

Also back to the Ruger #1 loads , are there many if any factory loads or are these rounds strictly handloads ? If there are Ruger only factory loads are they clearly designated as such ? I would imagine in our law suit happy world they would have to really cover themselves.
0 x

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jdl447 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:29 pm

0 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:50 pm

Ozarkridgerunner wrote:Also back to the Ruger #1 loads , are there many if any factory loads or are these rounds strictly handloads ? If there are Ruger only factory loads are they clearly designated as such ? I would imagine in our law suit happy world they would have to really cover themselves.
while I suspect that there may be some Ruger #1 factory loads out there, I don't ever recall seeing a box of them .... outside of some Cowboy Action ammo, the same is true for the lowest power Trapdoor Springfield loads .... the factory rounds commonly found on store shelves are commonly known as being for Marlin 1895 level actions .... Henry designs and builds its rifle actions to that meet that standard ....
0 x