Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Lever Guns Viable Option

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Lever Guns Viable Option

Post by Mistered » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:56 am

Well, it is usable. But, I guess target practice is not an option, unless one has their own land to shoot on, without a permit.
Doesn't seem to 'usable' without a permit to take it out of the house. Even if one has their own land it would not necessarily be legal to shoot on it unless the land is within a legal shooting area. Shooting would also be a tough sport/hobby to undertake if one is limited to a range with potential distance, target & ammo limitations.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:51 am

Mistered wrote:
Well, it is usable. But, I guess target practice is not an option, unless one has their own land to shoot on, without a permit.
Even if one has their own land it would not necessarily be legal to shoot on it unless the land is within a legal shooting area. Shooting would also be a tough sport/hobby to undertake if one is limited to a range with potential distance, target & ammo limitations.
This is true. I was thinking about at least 40 acres of land. But, it would still be a tough situation (as you pointed out) if one decides to take up hunting: deer, bears, ducks, turkeys, etc. It appears to be an option that is fading into the past. Funny, I just decided to pick it up a couple of years ago. I would like to be able to pass it on to my grandkids though. However, time will tell.
Last edited by GFK on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:13 pm

In Florida I can have a handgun in a vehicle in a zippered case or in a console etc. without a permit. Any others including AR's etc are legal as long as you are of legal age not a convicted felon etc. I chose to get my CCW permit because a friend who was a S.O. sergeant said that he thought I should. It's good for seven years. Having it means I don't have to wait three days to pick up any gun. I don't need to show anything to buy ammo. The original cost for the test , fingerprints etc was $119 and the renewal for another seven years is $57. Again I don't need the C.C.W. to buy any legal firearm or ammo it just makes it legal to have one concealed on my person.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:39 am

In Oregon a person without a CCW permit can only carry a fire arm unloaded in a vehicle in a locked compartment or trunk. When the vehicle doesn't have a lockable compartment or trunk (like an SUV), the fire arm has to be out of reach in the rear of the vehicle. All ammo magazines must also be unloaded. A CCW permit is not required for a holstered firearm worn on the hip.

CCW permit is not required to purchase a firearm, but a person must be legal age and not a convicted felon. At a FFL LGS, no waiting period other than the time it takes to run a no-cost real-time 'Firearms Instant Check' (about 15-20min). Finger prints are part of the FIC paperwork. A real time purchase can be up to 3 firearms at a time and must be declared in the FIC paperwork. Must be legal age to buy ammo. FIC records of transactions cannot be kept for more than 5 yrs and are exempt from public inspection.

A CCW is required to carry a loaded firearm concealed on a person's body and/or within reach in a vehicle.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:39 am

Regarding firearms, it's working here.
CT - could you please clarify what you mean by 'Regarding firearms, it's working here' ? I may have missed something. Thanks.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:37 am

Mistered wrote:
Regarding firearms, it's working here.
CT - could you please clarify what you mean by 'it's working here' ?
Simply, CT has strict background checks and educational requirements for gun ownership, approved by a majority of its citizens. Gun ownership is regulated by requiring a "permit to purchase". Subsequent statistics indicate that, as a result, the state has very low "gun crime exports" to other states and lower in-state deaths involving firearms (per capita).

Reminder: Political discussions on this forum will be deleted.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:24 pm

Guess I can chime in on this, since I'm the new kid on the block. I did read thru all of the previous posts, and some good points were made but I won't address those directly. Just some general observations, which any other forum members who are MS residents are no doubt familiar with.

1. Local laws/ordinances vary widely, as we all know. In MS there are no restrictions or permit requirements on purchase/carry/vehicle transport other than the usual places such as courtrooms, jails, etc. School districts can allow carry with some limitations. We're a permitless carry State, although many people will get a standard or enhanced permit for personal reasons. Strictly a voluntary decision. Our permitless carry applies to visitors as well as residents. Private sales are private, and the State does not get involved or notified. No different than any common yard sale, and in fact a fair number of firearms, ammo, etc. are sold/bought at yard sales.

2. Any firearm can serve a defensive purpose, including my .44 cap & ball wheel gun, or .22mag lcr. Some are just more suited for that purpose than others. :)

3. Shooting on your own property is basically your own business provided you're not endangering other people. I do it all the time, as do my neighbors - the nearest one is about 400yds away thru dense forest as the bullet flies. That said, some towns do restrict via local ordinances where you can fire away.

4. I'd suggest that any out of State visitors take a look at the details of our firearms laws at: https://www.dps.state.ms.us/firearms/fi ... rmit-unit/

And specifically this, which is covers far more than just the title would suggest: http://www.dps.state.ms.us/wp-content/u ... -HB786.pdf
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:36 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
2. Any firearm can serve a defensive purpose, including my .44 cap & ball wheel gun, or .22mag lcr. Some are just more suited for that purpose than others. :)
This is true. I think we all can agree with that. The point I take from the article was semi-auto vs lever. Since this is a site that caters to or tailored for Henry levers, it seemed like a good place for the article. And, most of us around here like our levers.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

rwortman
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by rwortman » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:39 pm

Back to something close to the original topic. I have a nephew that competes in 3 gun competition. A while back him and a few of his buddies were having a discussion on FB about PCC's (pistol caliber carbines) for them that is an AR pattern carbine chambered for either 9mm or 45ACP. I chimed in that preferred my pistol caliber carbine to be chambered 44 magnum with a lever underneath.
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:55 pm

GFK wrote:
GunnyGene wrote:
This is true. I think we all can agree with that. The point I take from the article was semi-auto vs lever. Since this is a site that caters to or tailored for Henry levers, it seemed like a good place for the article. And, most of us around here like our levers.
I understand that. So to stay on point, I see no problem with a lever gun in regards to self defense, given the appropriate training, etc. It would not be my preferred weapon, since I have other firearms more suitable at the ready, but I would not hesitate to put a lever gun into action. :)
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.