Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Lever Guns Viable Option

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Lever Guns Viable Option

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:23 pm

Mistered wrote:... the possibility exists 'they' could turn their attention to other firearms as well. This is the argument the hard core 2A aficionados present and one that cannot really be debated with them. Here in Oregon a ballot initiative that would have required registration of similar guns was recently 'killed' due mostly to poor 'language' and probable lack of time to gather the required number of signatures.
Regarding firearms, it's working here. I do wish that we in CT had access to assisted suicide for the terminally ill, like you do in Oregon. It's strange how reasonable people can differ so much in so many ways.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:00 pm

Mistered wrote:
Yes, the gun exploded. I assume the person was embarrassed. Not wanting to be thought of as someone not handling a firearm safety.
Well, I doubt the gun exploded due to just unsafe handling - MAYBE unsafe operation or ammo issues such as improperly loaded ammo which is one of the most common causes of guns going Ka-Boom!
I agree. To me, it is all the same. Dead is dead by any means.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:17 pm

good discussion .... well expressed .... REMINDER ===> lets keep it that way and not allow political commentary to slip in
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:36 am

CT_Shooter wrote:I agree with the posts in this thread; not that it matters to me.

ARs and similar firearms that were not purchased by residents prior to 2013 are no longer legal in CT. That's when I started shooting and got my first pistol permit (allowing me to buy rifles, pistols, ammo, and to carry a concealed firearm).
CT_Shooter, am I understanding this correctly. A permit is required in CT to purchase a firearm or ammo of any kind?
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:47 pm

GFK wrote:
CT_Shooter wrote: CT_Shooter, am I understanding this correctly. A permit is required in CT to purchase a firearm or ammo of any kind?
Yup. You understand it correctly.

To obtain a CT pistol permit requires education, passing written and practical tests, and an FBI background check with fingerprints. Permits are issued for five years and can be renewed without any further requirements (mine expires in December).

To be clear, though, anyone in CT can own a firearm (by inheritance or other legal means as per the 2nd amendment), but it may not leave the owner's home and the owner cannot purchase ammunition for it without proper credentials. For me to purchase ammunition online, all vendors require a copy of my CT permit and a copy of my driver's license; even then, there are some vendors who won't sell ammunition to CT residents, at all.

An FFL is required to purchase firearms. However, I can walk into any LGS (FFL) and walk out with a newly purchased firearm. No waiting period. The LGS simply contacts the State Police to get a verification number for the paperwork. Transfers between individuals are done the same way. Paperwork is completed, the State Police are contacted for the approval, and the firearm can be transferred.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:26 pm

but it may not leave the owner's home
How does one shoot this legally owned firearm if it cannot leave the owners home?
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:30 pm

Mistered wrote:
but it may not leave the owner's home
How does one shoot this legally owned firearm if it cannot leave the owners home?
He doesn't, unless he has ammunition and it's in self defense.

Of course, he could always get a permit. That's what I did. I inherited two Colts and wanted to use them. That's how I began my shooting hobby. Now, I have two Henry's, an Uberti 1873, a single shot 22LR rifle, and those Colts (an Official Police .38 and a 1903 .25 auto, both in pristine condition). I've also been reloading for the entire time that I've had a pistol permit and love it. I even went to training to get a permit for hunting with firearms, though with my back, I haven't gone, yet. I'm ever hopeful.

It does cost a bit to get a permit, about three hundred dollars give or take, but I didn't mind paying for it. It's about the price of a cheap scope. And, for what it's worth, I approve of the entire process.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:42 pm

Ok - so the permit allows them to leave the home then?
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:49 pm

Mistered wrote:Ok - so the permit allows them to leave the home then?
Yes.
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:22 pm

I feel sorry for anyone who has to pay $$$ to exercise his or her second amendment right. Having a C.C.W. permit I can leave a L.G.S. right after paying for a firearm.
1 x