Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Lever Guns Viable Option

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Lever Guns Viable Option

Post by GFK » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:27 am

I guess they have their place (killer deer, bear, etc.). But, they just do not appeal to me. The range I use have cameras on the firing line (safety ?). Anyway, they were used in a recent situation of gun fragments found on the firing line. It seems someone was shooting their AR, and it jammed. No one confessed. So, the cameras were reviewed for that week. Most times, it may be one or two people at the range at a time. The cameras are reviewed to ensure people are following safety precautions. In this case, maybe. But, how the firearm was used is probably the biggest cause (rapid fire). Time of war, not a bad idea. Deer hunting, not so much. But, to each their own.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:52 am

Anyway, they were used in a recent situation of gun fragments found on the firing line. It seems someone was shooting their AR, and it jammed. No one confessed
Gun fragments? Did the gun explode? An AR jammed and no one 'confessed' ? Why would one need to 'confess' to a gun jamming?
Sorry this does not make sense.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:30 am

Something about seeing and reading about ARs brings out the sadness in me. Can't really explain why. On the other hand a Henry brings out the nostalgia in me.

For me home defense is a close encounter that is best handled with a large caliber hand gun. No split seconds wasted swinging the muzzle of a rifle to bare.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:01 pm

Never seen an AR here. Guys at the range shoot bolt guns mostly. I might be the only lever gun guy there.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:13 pm

The AWB of 1994 is largely in part what started the whole 'black gun' craze - I saw it coming - prior to that dealers of AR's, AKs etc who had them at shows were getting little more than a few curious lookers but then post '94 and everyone suddenly wanted what they thought they 'couldn't have'. New gun Mfgs. grew like weeds along with Aftermarket parts, accessories to add to this maelstrom.
I have my own opinions about the whole 'gun culture' in general and largely in part I have no problem with nearly anyone owning what they want (legally) but I think what has burned my butt the most is how this new interest exploded into a complete nearly 'Godlike' worship of the AR with all things revolving around it - and the newbees of this following have ostracized the traditional gun owners and have virtually no respect or care of the true history and 'roots' of American Gun History. The term 'Fudd' (as equated to Elmer Fudd) is now applied to those who embrace traditional guns and hunting experiences but do not necessarily believe the AR (or similar guns) have any place in the 'traditional' sporting world. The term ' America's Gun' and ''Modern Musket' have been assigned to the AR and the general line of thinking (with the black gun crowd) is the 'Fudds' had better come around to our way of thinking or they may one day lose their rights to own even their bolts, levers & wheels. This standoff has caused a pushback by the traditionalists and further separates gun owners.
The 'Up side' is there is no doubt a waning interest in the world of 'black guns' as sales and prices are plummeting and the pawn shops racks are filling with used ARs & such - but the interest in traditional guns seems to be on the uptick. I see lots of people trying to sell or trade 'black' guns on other forums with levers & wheels often mentioned as a part of their trade interest. I don't recall the names but a couple of fairly high profile manufacturers of ARs & accessories have recently folded.
Fortunately where I live I didn't ever have to deal with shooting areas overcrowded with black gun shooters unloading ammo at nothing and mostly see few or no shooters at my typical spots.
In conclusion am I a 'Fudd' - not exactly - but I do sometimes hunt the Wascily Wabbit!
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:24 pm

I don't own or have the desire to own an AR or any other modern sporting rifle. I just don't get it, but, I don't have to. That's why there are different firearms for different desires. I think I could hold my own with either of my lever guns but my Ruger GP100 357 is my night stand firearm of choice.
Jake
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:19 pm

Mistered wrote:
Anyway, they were used in a recent situation of gun fragments found on the firing line. It seems someone was shooting their AR, and it jammed. No one confessed
Gun fragments? Did the gun explode? An AR jammed and no one 'confessed' ? Why would one need to 'confess' to a gun jamming?
Sorry this does not make sense.
Yes, the gun exploded. I assume the person was embarrassed. Not wanting to be thought of as someone not handling a firearm safety. If I am not mistaken, he also trains the young on handling a firearm safely. Most of us was just glad no one got harm. Most times, you have the range to yourself. So, help probably would have not been on the way. Like most things nowadays dealing with firearms, people want to ensure things are safe. Our range is less than a 1/2 mile from the public shopping area. How long that will last, who knows. But, it has been there since the 80s. The area is still somewhat rural. If it was away from the public, it might would not not been noticed. But, some neighbors are complaining that the place is dangerous, because people shoot ARs there.

But, it is what it is. It is best to have your own if you can. If not, be as safe as possible and reframe from extreme actions. I understand that guns jams. But, we can do things to reduce the possibility. Like, not shooting 20+ rounds in less than a minute. I understand that is the point of the gun. Yet, just my 2 cent.
Last edited by GFK on Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:00 pm

Yes, the gun exploded. I assume the person was embarrassed. Not wanting to be thought of as someone not handling a firearm safety.
Well, I doubt the gun exploded due to just unsafe handling - MAYBE unsafe operation or ammo issues such as improperly loaded ammo which is one of the most common causes of guns going Ka-Boom! There have been some repeat offenders in the gun world that are failing but it is more due to design flaws such as too light of a gun for the ammo it was designed for. A good example is the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 in .40 S & W. Several of these have failed with factory ammo. There have also been a fair amount of ARs failing over the last several years and some could be due to poor quality receivers, improperly home assembled guns or other issues. Personally I am surprised there are not MORE reports of gun failures considering what I have seen (with both people and their guns) but probably most are never reported or make it to any kind of social media.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:03 pm

I agree with the posts in this thread; not that it matters to me.

ARs and similar firearms that were not purchased by residents prior to 2013 are no longer legal in CT. That's when I started shooting and got my first pistol permit (allowing me to buy rifles, pistols, ammo, and to carry a concealed firearm). It's OK with me. I think they're useful and necessary for active duty military and police personnel, but they have no redeeming qualities for the civilian population; especially centerfire rifle caliber firearms. I've never even seen one at the range where I shoot; not even a grandfathered .22LR.

In 2013, other semi-autos were also restricted to magazines of ten rounds or less, unless those magazines were purchased before and subsequently registered that year. The exception is lever-action rifles. Henry H001s and other lever-action rifles with larger magazines are exempt. :)
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:38 pm

It's OK with me. I think they're useful and necessary for active duty military and police personnel, but they have no redeeming qualities for the civilian population; especially centerfire rifle caliber firearms.
And while I largely in part agree with you the 'slippery slope' that exists with this is if semi auto firearms are restricted (as is now in CT as you described) the possibility exists 'they' could turn their attention to other firearms as well. This is the argument the hard core 2A aficionados present and one that cannot really be debated with them. Here in Oregon a ballot initiative that would have required registration of similar guns was recently 'killed' due mostly to poor 'language' and probable lack of time to gather the required number of signatures.
0 x