Lever Guns Viable Option

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Lever Guns Viable Option

Post by GFK » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:24 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
but I would not hesitate to put a lever gun into action. :)
Yes, that seems to be the point that the article/video was making. And if I have neglected, welcome to the forum.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Firearmfanatic
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Firearmfanatic » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:27 pm

jcch004dd wrote:I don't own an AR15 style rifle. Accuracy by volume is not my thing. I own a locker full of lever guns all makes, many calibers. As a law abiding citizen's defensive weapon they will all hold their own.
AMEN!!!!
1 x

CurtZHP
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by CurtZHP » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:48 pm

For a lot of people, the best gun for home defense is the gun you have.
3 x
Aim small, miss small.

ozark75
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by ozark75 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:55 pm

Henry BBB .357 is my go to home defense gun. Can't think of a valid reason to not use it. There are other options, but I don't see any of them as particularly superior, just different.

And for what it is worth, here in the Show Me state, I can pretty much carry any gun, any where, in any manner for whatever reason with no permit or fee. Standard exemptions apply, i.e. convicted felon, religious building, government building, school, bar, etc.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:14 pm

A difference; good to also have a handgun. Might not be able to bring a rifle to bare when the intruder has managed to get up your face.
ozark75 wrote:Henry BBB .357 is my go to home defense gun. Can't think of a valid reason to not use it. There are other options, but I don't see any of them as particularly superior, just different.

And for what it is worth, here in the Show Me state, I can pretty much carry any gun, any where, in any manner for whatever reason with no permit or fee. Standard exemptions apply, i.e. convicted felon, religious building, government building, school, bar, etc.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Lyman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Lyman » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:31 pm

This is not my style but it's interesting. https://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/ ... bE585DZB0U
0 x
NRA & 2nd Amendment Supporter. Lyman is my middle name.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:09 pm

One of our members made some of those mods to his All Weather Henry.
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5952
Lyman wrote:This is not my style but it's interesting. https://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/ ... bE585DZB0U
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ozarkhunter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by ozarkhunter » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:31 pm

I own several firearms. Of the ones I own, my levers would not be my first choice for home defense. I would prefer my 9mm or my 12 gauge for this task.
HOWEVER, when it comes to defending myself from a 200 lb mass of muscle and bone with 3" cutters jutting from his lower jaw... I would prefer to reach for my lever guns. If given an opportunity with the same "intruder" after dark, I would be reaching for my scary black rifle with which I can see in the dark (thermal optic).
2 x

Ramjet
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Ramjet » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:12 pm

There is utility for both platforms. Especially where restriction force an alternative to the semi auto platform. I like both and have both just as I have defensive shotgun and two Mossberg shorties. The AR best virtue as defensive gun is pressing the gun into action very quickly because of the magazine. From empty to action is very fast. The lever serves great in those applications where short handy and reliability and other restrictions disallow semi auto rifles. Room for all of them guys, room for all of them. What you choose is based on what you think works best I respect that but own both types and few others too boot. I liked the article and the case made in fact I do believe GunSite has a class on defensive lever guns.
0 x

jkrijt
Wrangler
Netherlands

Post by jkrijt » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:28 am

Sometimes I think the gun laws in the Netherlands are not so bad.
For sport you can have all kinds of guns, AR15, lever actions, handguns and others with a maximum of five.
Guns for selfdefense is not permittted in the Netherlands and all guns must be stored in a safe when not used at the shooting range.
0 x
Jan from The Netherlands
- Henry "Small Game" .22lr
- A few CZ rifles and a pistol
- Uberti Cattleman revolver
- Two Diana Air rifles, one in .17 (it is from 1974) and one in .22 (also old)