Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry's new "Black" guns

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Re: Henry's new "Black" guns

Post by roddy » Fri May 11, 2018 8:04 pm

Slide Action wrote:I would rather see Henry keep up with what they already offer. Maybe even produce a .22 slide action carbine!
A short, light, round barreled carbine would be a nice addition to the slide-action .22s they already make. I enjoy the heck out of the one I have. It would really be nice to see some slide-action pistol round carbines...that would be sweet.
1 x

Carver
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Carver » Fri May 11, 2018 10:18 pm

I guess that I’m old school , guns should be wood stocks and steel, including pistols.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri May 11, 2018 10:32 pm

I guess that I’m old school , guns should be wood stocks and steel, including pistols.
Wood is GOOD
Blue is TRUE
Steel is REAL
2 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat May 12, 2018 12:35 pm

Henry X is a one off series of concept rifles representing our contemporary interpretation of the quintessential American Rifle
I assume when they say 'quintessential American Rifle' they are referring to the lever action of which I agree with. However the typical 'Black Rifle' fans think of the AR15 as the 'American Rifle' which I do NOT agree with. The AR 15 may have it's place in history but it is certainly not the 'American Rifle'. It is nothing more than the particular rifle that became popularized in the years of the AWB post 1994, became mass produced cheaply and caught on with the younger crowd - especially with those who never had the advantage of growing up in a time (or environment) when guns were considered more for sporting and hunting and not primarily as a defensive, 'survivalist' tool. The lever gun IS America's Rifle as far as I am concerned and has over 150 years of evolution and history behind it. In my opinion 'contemporary interpretation of the quintessential American Rifle' is oxymoronic as I do not believe a 'contemporary interpretation' can be applied to the lever action. While the mechanics of the lever action have do doubt been improved over the years it's basic design remains traditional and will not benefit by any 'contemporary interpretation' but opinions may vary!
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat May 12, 2018 5:08 pm

Well said. Couldn't agree, more. The standard lever gun is still very relevant, today, just as it has been from the beginning. It doesn't need any "updating" or "modernizing". The stuff Henry is adding is all cosmetic fluff to attract black gun fans. Just when I thought the "tacticool" nonsense had run its course.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat May 12, 2018 7:33 pm

Just when I thought the "tacticool" nonsense had run its course.
Largely in part it has - but no one is admitting it yet - as the Mfgs. of such stand to be the biggest losers - if I recall a couple of AR gun & parts Mfgs. have already folded.
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Sat May 12, 2018 7:37 pm

The Henry Rifles with the nice Walnut, good bluing, fit and finish done right, are built by riflemakers (I admit robots help, these days). Anybody who ever played with an Erector Set can buy a lower receiver and the rest of the parts, and assemble an AR. There isn't the craftsmanship of a proper rifle build involved ;) .
2 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat May 12, 2018 9:47 pm

Personally I hope the whole 'black gun' , 'tacticool' gun craze dies a quiet death and eventually results in LESS emphasis on gun control legislation than it has precipitated.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat May 12, 2018 10:25 pm

I like what you said about rifle building, Yornoc. It is spot-on!
"Henry Rifles with the nice Walnut, good bluing, fit and finish done right = Craftsmanship."

Now that Henry is also making shotguns, that craftsmanship comes into play with those builds, as well. I know Henry is not at the one-at-a-time, hand-built shotgun-making focus. But that still happens, especially in Europe.

A few years ago I spent quite some time researching and viewing the European tradition of shotgun building. There are some great artisans out there with incredible skills when handling wood & steel. Most often, those shotguns are special-ordered, and designed to totally fit its owner. I recall that some of the price tags showed what it takes for that level of quality. I've seen some side-by-side shotgun builds that can reach the $200,000 mark...and higher! Those old world traditions and the craftsmanship that is still there can be well worth it. For me, just looking at the finished long gun --- especially the beautiful wood designs and finishes that are made --- is simply a pleasure. :D PT7
Yornoc3 wrote:The Henry Rifles with the nice Walnut, good bluing, fit and finish done right, are built by riflemakers (I admit robots help, these days). Anybody who ever played with an Erector Set can buy a lower receiver and the rest of the parts, and assemble an AR. There isn't the craftsmanship of a proper rifle build involved ;) .
0 x

~Пока~

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun May 13, 2018 12:05 pm

Slide Action wrote:I would rather see Henry keep up with what they already offer. . . .
Yes, Henry does seem to offer a lot.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).