Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

So, does a octagon barrel make any diffrence?

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
MICoyote
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by MICoyote » Wed May 09, 2018 8:55 pm

I've been looking at the Henry Big Boy Steel and Brass and was wondering does a octagon barrel do anything than look different?

Is it more accurate like a bull barrel?

I've heard some talk about dissipating heat better, but really, how fast can you really reload & shoot a tube feed?

Thanks! ;)
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: So, does a octagon barrel make any diffrence?

Post by Mistered » Wed May 09, 2018 9:08 pm

Is it more accurate like a bull barrel?
Theoretically it should be, heavier with a flat surface giving a 'square' sight plane. I prefer octagon over round.
1 x

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Wed May 09, 2018 9:14 pm

You might be surprised.
Yes, the heavier barrel will be a little more accurate, to a point, but it doesn't really dissipate heat better.
The heavier barrel is stiffer, and more mass, thus less prone to warping from excess heat.

This is good, to a point.
It will also hold heat longer than a thinner barrel.
If you heat up a heavier barrel to the same temperature as a thin one, the heavier barrel will take longer to cool.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed May 09, 2018 9:17 pm

for me its a matter of personal preference .... octagons are usually heavier than round ... just how that can affect the rifle's balance varies .... I like the looks of the octagon but that alone isn't a factor that guides my purchase
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:14 pm

After doing various web searches to try and compare these two barrel types, JEBar's answer somewhat often cropped up within the discussions: "...it's a matter of personal preference." There weren't many "heated" debates at all, most chats were run-of-the-mill (almost a little "bore-ing"). So personal preference might be the best guide.

JEBar wrote:for me its a matter of personal preference .... octagons are usually heavier than round ... just how that can affect the rifle's balance varies .... I like the looks of the octagon but that alone isn't a factor that guides my purchase
1 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed May 09, 2018 10:17 pm

I like the looks of the octagon but that alone isn't a factor that guides my purchase
Mine either - if the BBS had been available when I bought my BBB I MIGHT have gone for the steel - hard to say - I really like the looks of my BBB.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:54 pm

I would go handle both and see which one feels better. I know if you are weight sensitive you will like the steel better as its lighter for plinking. I have both and Im not as good as I once was so my shoulders welcome the break after running thru a couple of tubes of 357 loads. I have a steel in 41 mag and I can tell the difference when I shoot it. Now if the carbines had been available when I bought mine I might have all carbines. I really like how the shorter barrel handles. Al
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu May 10, 2018 9:51 am

All else equal, short and stiff makes for a more accurate barrel via more consistent harmonics, shot after shot. Ask a competition bench rest shooter. Of course, all else is seldom equal when comparing barrels. A 20" octagon, though, certainly will be a stiffer barrel than a slim 20" round barrel. I wouldn't make a buying decision, though, based on something so fuzzy. In the real world, it really is a matter of personal preference based on the balance and handling of the gun and, heaven knows, I certainly have light skinny barrel guns that outshoot some of my heavy barrel guns. Heavy doesn't automatically guarantee better accuracy.
3 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu May 10, 2018 11:37 am

If I run out of ammo that 24" octagon pipe is not a bad weapon.... :)
5 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Thu May 10, 2018 2:28 pm

To efficiency? Probably not.

To looks? Definitely! If I was given a choice of two rifles, both the same apart from the barrel, I'd go with the octagonal every time.
1 x