Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Walmart can’t order any more Henry’s?

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Colt46
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Walmart can’t order any more Henry’s?

Post by Colt46 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:12 pm

The local Wal-Mart has a couple of Golden Boys and a steel 22lr., There is a 45-70, 44Mag., 357 mag., and there is a Ruger Mini 14 in the case. No black rifles. Plenty of traditional hunting rifles and shotguns.

I like the Bolt action and the lever action but own and shoot several semi-auto rifies, and a hand full Pistols
1 x
Life is short, Live life, shoot more. :lol:
S&W 686 4 Inch, S&W 686 3 inch, 686 S&W 2.5 Inch, S&W m 29-2 4 inch, Springfield Armory XD 9, 1911, Loaded, Mil-Spec, Compact 1911,Ranger Officer 9 mm, Colt 1911 Comp,

Mac11700
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Mac11700 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:45 pm

I can't speak for the Wally World's in my area, since I hardly ever go there, but there are tons of other shops that have plenty of ammo and guns..

The main reasoning IMHO that the 20-30 year group gravitates to the black guns is that they are indoctrinated by all the video games they have grown up playing.. I personally think they have been desinsetized to normal rifles..and normal thinking and that's what they feel compelled to buy..and as a result is what is causing all the issues of late...

I have nothing against a AR like platform, or synthetic stocks and all, I have owned many of them and they all have their place and purposes, but a finely crafted wood adorned gun is what makes me the happiest..

Mac
3 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu May 03, 2018 8:43 pm

today at our local they had a Golden Boy 22, 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45-70 on display .... they weren't there a couple of days ago
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri May 04, 2018 12:51 am

In the news, Walmart, Dicks and others no longer sell guns and ammo to anyone under 21 and are discontinuing AR type firearms. Kroger gets out of the gun business altogether.

Ya the younger folks are hot for the ARs. I was tagging along with my youngest son during his recent AR shopping. He bought his AR and I bought my Henrys.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri May 04, 2018 8:30 am

Let's be fair.

A fair number of those younger guys you accuse of wanting to buy the ARs to look tough or because they are familiar with them from the video games? They... played the live version of that game and may be tougher than you can imagine. Could be they are just going with what the find familiar and comforting. Oh, and some of the returning country boys, already own several shotguns, that 30-30 deer rifle, and several scoped bolt guns for varmints and larger game... lol. 8-)

I shot the M16 in the Corps and shot it well. I have one in my safe that is competition ready, and still shoot it well. But, I have a number of walnut and steel and walnut and brass rifles that far outnumber the black one. I think they are beautiful, and each has it's task.

Sure... there are wannabes out there. But after running a veteran's charity and taking hundreds of these guys on outings, the one thing you can't tell by looking at the youngsters is their past or their character. We had one young Marine, who looked twelve. He was severely injured in combat, but his actions AFTER his injuries saved the lives of a number of his fellow Marines and saw him decorated. You would never believe he had been through bootcamp, let alone combat.

I LOVE my Big Boy 357 carbine... I do.
But as a Former Marine Staff NCO... there is a place in my safe for that Colt M4.
;)
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri May 04, 2018 9:42 am

Excellent post, Marine. Your simple statement, "Let's be fair," is spot-on!
Yes, the Henry Big Boy 357 carbine and the Colt M4 both belong in your safe; and as you said, "each has it's task."

My all-time favorite Henry, and the "Great Keeper" :) in my gun cabinet, is my SGC (H001TLP). It is the epitome of Danwin's description of lever-action rifles: "Steel & Walnut." I love the looks of my carbine.

On the other hand, I don't love the looks of my newest long gun, the Stevens 20-ga Pump shotgun with a pistol grip. It is all black, steel and synthetic materials, and has none of my favorite wood furniture. But it meets a shooting need I have. The iron sights configuration (rear ghost-ring and front blade) are perfect for my eyes, and mitigate my cross-eyed dominance challenges. This shotgun works well for me, and is an accurate slug shooter.

Fair to say, they're both okay.

Appreciate your thoughtful response to peoples' likes, preferences, and gun ownership.
PT7

P.S. Thanks for sharing about the young Marine's combat actions in saving fellow Marines, and serving our country.
BrokenolMarine wrote:Let's be fair.

A fair number of those younger guys you accuse of wanting to buy the ARs to look tough or because they are familiar with them from the video games? They... played the live version of that game and may be tougher than you can imagine. Could be they are just going with what the find familiar and comforting. Oh, and some of the returning country boys, already own several shotguns, that 30-30 deer rifle, and several scoped bolt guns for varmints and larger game... lol. 8-)

I shot the M16 in the Corps and shot it well. I have one in my safe that is competition ready, and still shoot it well. But, I have a number of walnut and steel and walnut and brass rifles that far outnumber the black one. I think they are beautiful, and each has it's task.

Sure... there are wannabes out there. But after running a veteran's charity and taking hundreds of these guys on outings, the one thing you can't tell by looking at the youngsters is their past or their character. We had one young Marine, who looked twelve. He was severely injured in combat, but his actions AFTER his injuries saved the lives of a number of his fellow Marines and saw him decorated. You would never believe he had been through bootcamp, let alone combat.

I LOVE my Big Boy 357 carbine... I do.
But as a Former Marine Staff NCO... there is a place in my safe for that Colt M4.
;)
2 x

~Пока~

MICoyote
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by MICoyote » Mon May 14, 2018 5:42 pm

One of my local Walmarts, that only carried the Henry's in .22, now have the rest of the Big Boy line.

Guess they still get them.
0 x