Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Time Marches On

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Time Marches On

Post by JEBar » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:47 am

even when I was decades younger, I think I've always been old school .... one example is, I've always believed that its best for me to practice with the same ammo that I hunt with .... I still believe that applies in most cases .... as examples, I still enjoy and have no problem with hunting loads fired from our Henry 357 & 44 Mag .... the reality is, my remaining big game hunting days are most certainly numbered (if not over) .... the reality also is, even though I've spent some serious money upgrading them to reduce felt recoil, I can no longer take the pounding from full power loads from rifles like our 45-70 and 300 WBY Mag .... with the 300 that is less of an issue because I no longer have access to a location with 300+ yard ranges .... I do have easy access to a couple of places with 100+ yard shooting ranges which lend themselves to firing the 45-70 .... consequently, if I want to continue to fire it, I'm going to have reduce the power of the ammo to Cowboy Action or sub Cowboy Action levels .... other limitations have also reached the point where they can't be ignored .... age related physical conditions have pretty well limited my off hand shooting of heavy rifles like our 45-70 to an occasional round or two .... my enjoyment of punching big holes remains so, since we can't stop the march of time, accommodations have to be made
3 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Time Marches On

Post by daytime dave » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:23 pm

You have spoken the truth my friend. I hope you still get to enjoy those large guns on occasion with the reduced loads.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:48 pm

I totally agree with you, JEBar. I have sold my .308's and .303 for much the same reason that you are experiencing. I can shoot once a month on military ranges, but the days of lying down in mud with the rain running down my neck are well and truly behind me. I now stick to .22 rimfire, either indoors at 25 yards or under covered firing points at 50 and 100 yards.

The joys of getting old, eh! :lol:
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:09 pm

Les wrote:I now stick to .22 rimfire,
what I need is a .22 rimfire that makes a 45 caliber hole ... :lol:
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:20 pm

As a somewhat reformed recoil addict, I still shoot some hard kicking rounds, every now and then, but those every now and thens are not as frequent, these days. I'm now at a point where I can no longer justify owning a rifle or revolver in the hard kickers for a few shots a year. Those have been purged from the collection and used to finance sweeter shooting calibers.

I can, however, justify owning a few of the hard kicking chamberings in a Contender, because in a Contender, the only investment I have to make is another barrel, not a whole new gun. A good example is my 45-70 Contender barrel or my 44 mag barrels or a 30-30 and so on. These I shoot for old time's sake, once or twice a year. Otherwise, the biggest I go on a regular basis now, is a 357.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:53 pm

Time surely is lassoing a number of us, isn't it? I'm there also. My remaining firearms' calibers are listed in my signature line. One of the harder times to say "adios" was when the 12ga rode into the sunset... :| But glad the 20ga is still hanging in.

Onward-ho. One step at a time down that dusty trail... ;)
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:17 pm

North Country Gal wrote:I'm now at a point where I can no longer justify owning a rifle or revolver in the hard kickers for a few shots a year.
in thinking back, of all the firearms I've ever purchased, I've only ended up selling or trading a few .... as a rule, for me to turn one loose, I have to have found that I have reached a point where I they simply didn't work well for me .... in the last 40 years I've let go of 1 shotgun (a 16 ga FOX), no rifles, no handguns .... back in the late '60's I sold a Ruger Blackhawk 44 Mag and its companion a Ruger semi auto 44 Mag carbine .... still regret letting go of the carbine .... the ones that no longer see much, if any, time out of the vault work their way to the back and there they will stay until our sons divvy them up after I'm out of the picture .. ;)
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:20 pm

Check out a 45 Colt rifle....great big round and hardly any recoil.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:05 pm

RanchRoper wrote:Check out a 45 Colt rifle....great big round and hardly any recoil.
of that I have no doubt .... if I didn't already have a 44 Mag, I'd give it serious consideration
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:35 pm

you could give that 44 to Grandson and buy another Henry in 45. Dont forget to add it to the how many thread. Sorry Jim just couldnt resist.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55