Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Home made sling

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Re: Home made sling

Post by ruhler » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:03 am

Really nice I was thinking of making one riflesling of paracord myself, also to a allweather Henry.
0 x

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:41 am

I like it and your rifle is beautiful too!

Thanks for sharing.

Cate
1 x

Dahliathemeh
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Dahliathemeh » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:59 pm

Thank you Miss Cate!
1 x
I never take myself seriously....

CTRFLDR
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by CTRFLDR » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:06 pm

Very nice sling, I’ve been meaning to do this myself, have only gotten as far as wrapping the lever so far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:08 am

CTRFLDR wrote:I’ve ... only gotten as far as wrapping the lever so far.
Welcome to the forum from CT, CTRFLDR. Nice work.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:54 am

Have some spec questions for you, Dahliathemeh. Since I first read your post, I've been thinking about making a paracord sling also. The one I bought just didn't fit the need; DIY also gives the option of creating one's own color choices, length, etc.

You said you used about 100 feet total. How did you get to that 100-feet amount; is it based on the distance between the sling swivels on your rifle? My long gun's distance between the swivels measures 34" in a straight line. I thought a 40" to 44" paracord might work okay. What is the length of your sling and distance between the swivels?

Also it looks like with the two colors, there is more of the darker color than the lighter. How did you determine the amount of paracord for each color based on your chosen sling length? And did you need twice the amount of your light color since there are two bands running the length of the sling?

I think your specs might be helpful in getting started on this. It looks like a cool project. BTW, why did you say, "Hurt like Hades making it?" That was an interesting comment.

Yup, a nice-looking sling you have there.
Dahliathemeh wrote:Just made this this week, a paracord sling using real military grade cord, rated at 750. This is about 100 feet total, and a little thicker than 550. Hurt like Hades making it, I thought it's worth it.
Oh yeah, the girl came out in me so I bought matching colors to Xanadu. (The rifles name) It's also the very first one I ever made too.
0 x

~Пока~

Dahliathemeh
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Dahliathemeh » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:02 pm

Hi PT7, im sorry to have gotten back to you so late. In all honesty I saw a you tube video on how to make this particular sling, and it worked out!. The sling was supposed to be a shotgun sling, and in this video the guy used 50 foot of the center color (black), and 26 feet of the side colors(silver). I only purchased 50 feet of each so I ran a little short.
There is 24 inches between swivels on my rifle, and my sling comes in at 35 1/2 inches. So judging by my measurements you would probably have to get about 200 feet of cord on each color.
As for your color question, I wanted more of the light color to show, however this particular weave made the dark color more prominent, it still works. The center color will be your dominant color.
As far as the pain with making the sling, I chose 750 vs the 550, why? Because in an emergency situation, I think having cord that can hold that kind of weight would be soooo much better. With that, you get a thicker cord and with this double cobra weave you tighten and push the knots as close together as possible. Doing this hurt my fingers, and gave me some mega blisters!
This is 2 cords two shades one continuous weave, no breaks. You can also look up accessories for the sling like an adjustable harness, etc. The ideas are endless, good luck to whatever you choose to do!
1 x

Dahliathemeh
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Dahliathemeh » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:08 pm

2 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:53 pm

Very nice.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

tarbe
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by tarbe » Sun May 20, 2018 1:59 pm

I like the sling almost as much as I like your Avatar!

Nice work.

Tim
1 x
USMC 1976 - 1980 0351

Henry H010
Henry H010CC
Savage M99 308 (born in '57 like me!)
Browning M53 32-20
336 30-30
No 1 300 H&H
No 1 375 H&H
1895 30-40 Krag