Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

No drill sling

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Jsickle
Tenderfoot
United States of America

No drill sling

Post by Jsickle » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:43 pm

Hope this is the right forum section to post this.
Will the leather from these do any harm to the brass butt plate and or the barrel if left on the rifle for a long time, I will not be drilling gun sling swivels in my brass Big Boy but would like to have a sling for hunting.
Thanks
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: No drill sling

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:44 pm

Leather turns copper green and brass contains copper. Over time it will corrode the brass if left on the rifle. But if you just slip it on when using it and taking it off afterwards you should be fine.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:03 pm

Sir Henry wrote:Leather turns copper green and brass contains copper. Over time it will corrode the brass if left on the rifle. But if you just slip it on when using it and taking it off afterwards you should be fine.
Leather corroding brass may depend on how it was tanned. I've used copper rivets on my leather projects without any turning green. I use "vegetable tanned leather" as opposed (I'm guessing) to one useing an animal derived product like uric acid.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:38 pm

Carryover to here from the "H010 and H009 Magazine Tube Diameter Change?" topic http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 521#p59838

Bit of a saga. Several weeks ago i bought my first HFA. The H009B. I set about looking for accessories. First on my list was to find a sling as the rifle gets a bit heavy after carrying it around for a while. Started with Henrys accessory webpage, didn't have what I was looking for, mostly because the swivel kit product they offer required drilling a hole near the butt of the stock. The H009B is a work of art, no way was I going to be drilling into it. I eventually came across the No-Drill harness sling sold by Brass Stacker. One of the things Brass Stackers ordering process insists you do is read their "Common Questions". Part of that is to make sure you order a sling with the appropriate sized magazine tube clamp. Their #265 (.610"-.670") is what they were listing for the size clamp to be used with the tube on the H009B. When I measured the OD of H009B that I have with a caliper I measured 0.685". I contacted Brass Stacker customer support, shared a picture of my measurement and asked them if they could make a sling with the right sized tube clamp. They told me no as the rifle they use for reference has a diameter of 0.650" and they didn't want to do one off as they buy their hardware in bulk. They also weren't aware of any Henry design changes that resulted in the larger diameter tube I was showing them.

I suppose at the time I could have gotten a hold of Henry Tech Support and asked them, but I prefer to try and solve dilemmas first on my own. A web search of henry design changes brought me to "Henry’s Updates .30-30 and .45-70" https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/henry- ... -70-redux/. Part that caught my eye was the change to a "beefier" magazine tube. No detail on what 'beefier' meant. Further web searches got me nowhere. Now it's time to talk to Henrys. First avenue didn't pan out, contacting Anthony directly. Contacting Henry Tech Support did eventually work out, but it was slow going. 48 hour turn around time on email responses. I want my questions and answers in writing. The Henry tech support person didn't know of any design changes and reading from their spec told me the tube is supposed to be 0.650". Didn't say anything about the picture I sent him. I think he might have been new. He was nice, but wasn't forward thinking. After another couple of emails (over 72 hours with weekends in there) finally got through to him to go ask one of their gunsmiths. 48 hours later, he tells me the latest tube OD spec is 0.6875" not 0.650". I asked if I could share his response with Brass Stacker. The answer was yes 48 hours later. [UPDATE: March 5, 2019 | The story here is accurate as far as what was going in April 2018. However in revisiting this with Dan@Henry and one of their design engineers today, it was shared that the gen1 Brass Henry .30-30 always had the thicker diameter mag tube (0.680ish). That as of serial number TTB041010 the Brass Henry .30-30 mag tube has the same smaller diameter as the steel .30-30. (0.650ish)]

In sharing the information with Brass Stacker they said they would be updating their product offering to include the latest OD spec of the H009. I was then able to order a no-drill harness sling without the tube clamp at a 10% discount. Wasn't really enough of discount to cover the cost of buying my own tube clamp from Grovtec (GTSW302). But I am just happy to finally get the no-drill harness sling.

In subsequent discovery from the web there is mention of Gen1, 2, 3 versions of the rifle. In the phone conversation with Brass Stacker, he shared they would need to find out how to tell the difference between the generations before updating their product offering to include the latest mag tube diameter. I suggested he call directly on the phone the Henry tech support person I worked with and see if he could get the range of serial numbers before and after the design change. That's where I left it.

Summary: (1) The H009 and H010 versions of the rifles went through a design change, part of which was to the mag tube diameter. So, regardless of who you might buy a rifle sling from that uses a mag tube clamp, make sure to verify with them the mag tube clamp size they provide. I shopped other sling maker websites and none that I shopped provided information on the tube clamp size used. Brass Stacker was the only store that provides that type of information. (2) If you can get by not having things in writing use the phone when contacting Henry Tech Support. It is way faster than the 48hr email turn around time.

'
Last edited by Mags on Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:06 pm

Mags wrote:...If you can get by not having things in writing use the phone when contacting Henry Tech Support. It is way faster than the 48hr email turn around time.
Great report and thank you for your diligence in solving the evolution of the mag tube. I know that two days is a long time to wait for an answer to a question in 2018, but I'm impressed, nonetheless. Way to go, Henry. Also sending Anthony my best. Your team is on the job.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:26 pm

CT_Shooter wrote: Great report and thank you for your diligence in solving the evolution of the mag tube. . .
I echo CT_Shooter and commend your efforts. I am glad that your were able to get both companies to work together to produce an adequate product.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:40 pm

I do hope they work together. Where I left it with them, that was still an open question.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:47 pm

Last of the accessories arrived today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:48 pm

[UPDATE: March 5, 2019 | The story here is accurate as far as what was going in April 2018. However in revisiting this with Dan@Henry and one of their design engineers today, it was shared that the gen1 Brass Henry .30-30 H009B always had the thicker diameter mag tube (0.680ish). That as of serial number TTB041010 the Brass Henry gen2 .30-30 mag tube has the same smaller diameter as the steel .30-30. (0.650ish)] The Brass Stacker No-Drill website order information is for the H009B gen2 not the older gen1 and because the tube size for the steel .30-30 is the same as the brass the No-Drill sling will fit it too.

Brass Stacker also has cool new swivel stud design as a separate product https://brassstacker.com/Brass-Stacker- ... apter.html I have a set ordered and they should be here in a few days.
0 x