HiVis sights for Henry big boy steel carbine

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
babo
Tenderfoot
United States of America

HiVis sights for Henry big boy steel carbine

Post by babo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:03 pm

hello! new guy here!

I am beginning to get interested in some lever action rifles! The Henrys grabbed my attention considering the quality and customer service have ben historically great!

Im just doing some research and i was wondering if there is an opinion on the HiVis fiber optic sights for the Henry rifles, particularly for the Henry Big Boy steel Carbine rifle. Im not a huge fan of the Skinner peep sights, so i want to consider different options.

Thanks! learning alot!
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: HiVis sights for Henry big boy steel carbine

Post by Mistered » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:50 pm

Welcome to the forum!
You mention you are not a fan of the skinner peep sights - so is that just skinner or peeps in general? If so then there are what appear to be some pretty good options but if you want to stick with 'open irons' then you will be limited to some sort of buckhorn style rear. There are definitely much better buckhorns available to replace the original but you might want to try a rifle with a peep before deciding - unless you already have and know you don't like them.
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:20 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Generally speaking, peeps and ghost rings are easier to shoot with than are semi-buckhorn sights. If you’re going that route, though, I can tell you that I used a Hiviz front sight on my Henry .22 for a few years, and I liked it a lot.
0 x

babo
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by babo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:29 pm

Mistered wrote:Welcome to the forum!
You mention you are not a fan of the skinner peep sights - so is that just skinner or peeps in general? If so then there are what appear to be some pretty good options but if you want to stick with 'open irons' then you will be limited to some sort of buckhorn style rear. There are definitely much better buckhorns available to replace the original but you might want to try a rifle with a peep before deciding - unless you already have and know you don't like them.
i just dont like them in general, would want to replace both the front and rear sight.
with these:
https://henrypride.com/collections/rifl ... 3468465932
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:30 am

Doesn't look like a bad option and the price is not terrible. Hopefully you have looked down a rifle with something similar so you know this style of sight will work for you.
0 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:16 pm

I had a set of these on my Golden Boy...much easier to see, and quicker to focus on than the originals. However, they look really out of place on such a classically styled gun. I eventually took them off. If you are looking purely for function, and don't care how they look, go for it. A definite improvement. If I was going to do it again, I would seriously consider a rear peep and front blade set-up.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:16 pm

If I was going to do it again, I would seriously consider a rear peep and front blade set-up.
This is the Williams WGRS on my BB.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

babo
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by babo » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:10 pm

Mistered wrote:
If I was going to do it again, I would seriously consider a rear peep and front blade set-up.
This is the Williams WGRS on my BB.
is that the WGRS-54?
https://williamsgunsight.com/product/williams-wgrs-54/

i didnt see that it fit the henry BBS carbine
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:33 pm

is that the WGRS-54?
No - it is the WGRS-336 with a flat base meant for the Marlin 336.
I don't believe Williams advertises it as fitting the Henry BB but as you can see it does fit quite well - mounted backwards and with the aperture mount flipped around.
In their on-line catalog Williams initially referenced a sight for the Henry but never produced one specifically for it. No matter since the one for the Marlin works well.
1 x

Hidden Mortimer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hidden Mortimer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:04 am

Mistered, what front sight do you have on your rifle? I put the same sight on my BBS 45 colt. I noticed that it doesn’t have the full range of up and down adjustment. Have you had issues with this?
0 x