Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Fancy Stocks

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Hack
Cowhand
United States of America

Fancy Stocks

Post by Hack » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:07 am

I see no need for them, but in case you haven't heard, Henry came out with "fancy stocks" for their rifles. Just something to consider if you have some $$ burning a hole in your wallet. :lol:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... paign=0218
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Re: Fancy Stocks

Post by RetiredSeabee » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:10 am

That is some mighty pretty wood. I don’t think I would pay for extra pretty wood. But if I have a couple of rifles to to compare and one had better looking wood. I would lean towards it if trigger and action was still the same.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:01 am

It's no doubt worth it to Henry to pick through their wood and select the semi-fancy grades for the higher end guns, and also offer some as an option. For a while, they were just giving it away when they were simply using it as it came off the truck, so to speak. That "old stock" 30-30 I bought last December has wood that would qualify as an upgrade on a SxS shotgun. It was a big part of why I bought that rifle (a screaming good deal on clearance had a lot to do with it, too ;)). Nice wood gets us to look at guns every time :) .
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:14 am

when it comes to firearms, we I don't own any safe queens or wall hangers .... if we did, I'd most likely be interested in fancy wood .... all of ours are well cared for, all are used, all have earned some blemishes
2 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:20 pm

I have an old Marlin 25N with a birch stock. It has developed an almost sunburst look to it as it's aged, and looks as good to me as any other wood stock I've seen. You can see how the areas where my hands were placed have a lighter shade about them. Combine that with all the nicks and scrapes through the years and what more could you ask for :D

This would be the rifle at the top, the middle having a laminated stock which I think looks cool in it's own way.
001.JPG
Funny but the model 60 at bottom I'm holding for a friend and is also birch and a little older but has seen much less use.

To me it's hard to believe that they are the same stocks, but now that I'm hitting the M60 with Ballistol, It's starting to come around :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:45 pm

Henry88 wrote:I have an old Marlin 25N with a birch stock. It has developed an almost sunburst look to it as it's aged, and looks as good to me as any other wood stock I've seen. You can see how the areas where my hands were placed have a lighter shade about them. Combine that with all the nicks and scrapes through the years and what more could you ask for :D
My guess is that oils have soaked in and shaded the wood differently depending on grain orientation and susceptibility to absorption.That is pretty much the reason that figured woods will have the figure "pop" by using an oil finish on it.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Preacher
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Preacher » Sat May 19, 2018 8:49 pm

Function is first and foremost, but I also like my guns to look good. I looked at the fancier wood when I was considering getting a .357 carbine. I ended up getting used one online, and the wood on it is beautiful. I don't know if it came that way or if the previous owner upgraded the wood. My Evil Roy has nice wood, but it is plain with little visible grain.
1 x
A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

jcch004dd
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by jcch004dd » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:03 pm

It is hard to beat a good stick of Walnut!
2 x