Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Which one would you choose and why.

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Which one would you choose and why.

Post by Catherine » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:26 am

BigAl52 wrote:Ok Id like to see if you had to make a choice and you could only have one Henry which one would it be and why :?:
I will answer this if I did NOT have my arthritis issues, old accident flare ups, from what I have shot in the past and from what I previously owned.

I would still pick a 22lr caliber FIRST in a rifle.

For the HENRY BRAND:

Henry Golden Boy 22lr and a Henry Golden Boy 22wmr like what I used to own and shoot.

For the 22lr CALIBER:

I liked them (HGB rifles.) more than my/our former 2 Marlin Golden 39A rifles (CT MADE), my Winchester 94-22, my Browning BL 22, and my Henry large loop carbine. I am not knocking those brands or styles and IF I never had a HENRY BRAND to try as I have out here... I would still be VERY pleased with those former beautiful and straight shooting rifles.

I have owned and/or shot several brands in 22lr lever action rifles. Some in CF lever action rifles but I did not own a CF rifle until I moved out west. We had some Wins (94 Trapper) in 30-30, 45Long Colt and 357Magnum calibers.

If we are allowed a CF choice and not just a RF choice... I would choose a 30-30 caliber for woods/wilderness protection like the one that my husband just got IF I still lived out here in Grizz country. I have not shot this rifle of his but I have handled it - it is heavy for my old and arthritic bones. :)

(I do not hunt and I never did hunt so I am just talking about predator protection for my OWN situation. Re: 30-30 Caliber.)

If I lived back east and/or KNEW that my husband or another person would be out in the wilderness/woods with me here in Western Montana carrying a 45-70 or a 30-30 or ? for PROTECTION... I would feel fine carrying another HENRY Classic Big Boy 357Magnum rifle like what we had previously. We had the brass/walnut one and they did not have the other Big Boy designs when we got ours. That was/is a beautiful and sweet shooting gun with factory and reloaded loads.

I used to just carry a BIGGER caliber handgun (45Long Colt, 44Magnum or a 357Magnum) when I first moved out west hiking alone or with someone else. (Back when I used to own, shoot and carry handguns.) Later on, I realized that it was a wise idea to own and carry a CF rifle when I Hiked Alone in specific remote areas including where I used to Camp AND Live in a tiny log cabin butt up to the wilderness.

The weight of a rifle is even more important to me now. It was before but more so now. Plus I was ALWAYS picky on how any firearm felt in my hands and on my body be it a handgun or a rifle. Holstered = shoulder rig or on my hip - Triple K western rig, on a rifle sling or just in my hands shooting as I prefer - standing up and with NO scopes.

Cate
Added more.
0 x

dngnmn
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by dngnmn » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:39 pm

BB carbine .44mag I love the looks of the brass. The carbine feel good in my hands. I like the .44 mag overall.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:54 am

Simple & complicated.

Which one?
I only have one Henry rifle now, and it's definitely the one I would choose. I have the H001TLP Small Game Carbine in .22LR.

Why?
Several reasons. It is an extremely accurate-shooting carbine, love the large-loop lever and 16.25" octagon barrel, and especially that it came built with a stock, receiver-mounted Skinner ghost-ring rear sight package. I currently have a good supply of .22LR ammo, and it is quite an inexpensive caliber to send down range.

Complications.
~~I've found that at my age of seven decades, the weight of a rifle is becoming a consideration. I've had three different models of the .357 Big Boy, and my favorite was the steel .357 carbine with the shorter barrel. But of course it is heavier than the SGC. I went rabbit hunting this last season with my SGC, and it's pretty easy to handle while hiking the woods.

~~Here is the biggest challenge for me if I were to again buy another Henry. The buckhorn sights are my nemesis on Henrys. And I've tried to change out those buckhorns on every Henry I've owned. Whether barrel-mounted, or when I added a Skinner Express to my .357 carbine, I seldom could get the rifles sighted-in very well at all. Always something got in my way, which I never could resolve. In particular, I have much trouble getting a front sight adjusted correctly. So you should see the "collection" of Skinner sights, apertures, and Allens I have in my gun toolbox! The cost of these sights that are gathering dust would help me buy quite a few rounds of .22LR ammo.

~~The bottom line complication is that I'll not get another Henry unless Henry, and say Skinner, collaborated again and built a Henry with a receiver-mounted iron ghost-ring sight, already adjusted to flow with the front sight. And the two Henry calibers I'd like would be either a .357 magnum or a .30-30; either would be great for deer hunting. Not too much to wait for, is it?!? ;)

I shared this roadblock recently with Henry tech rep, Tom Kotz. He's been a good help over the years, and I really like working with him. He tried to convince me how simple it is to add a receiver-mounted sight, such as the Express, by working with Andy at Skinner Sights. Been there/done that. I've not been able to accomplish it; and at moments it baffles me why that front sight alignment trips me up so easily.

All of the above is not a complaint!
My comments only explain where I'm at in my rifle ownership today.

Worth repeating. "Simple & complicated."
1 x

~Пока~

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:09 pm

I don't generally get into these only one gun scenarios. Because frankly the thought of having only one gun just makes me dizzy.
But if I could only have one Henry it would have to be that gorgeous color case hardened carbine in .357. I am thinking maneuverable in tight quarters, plenty of power for anything I might need to punch holes in. Very manageable recoil and could shoot .38 as well. And of course....it is just plain beautiful.
4 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:42 pm

RetiredSeabee wrote:I don't generally get into these only one gun scenarios. Because frankly the thought of having only one gun just makes me dizzy.
But if I could only have one Henry it would have to be that gorgeous color case hardened carbine in .357. I am thinking maneuverable in tight quarters, plenty of power for anything I might need to punch holes in. Very manageable recoil and could shoot .38 as well. And of course....it is just plain beautiful.
Ive seen the 45 colt and the 44 mag for sale but I havent seen a 357 yet. Ive been waiting they must be coming soon to a gun store near you. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:43 pm

I think I chose my .44 BBS carbine earlier in the thread somewhere.. I just got back from a quick trip to the range to check something out, and I want to say that the BBS .44 has a thick recoil pad and weighs over 7 pounds. This baby doesn't kick ya as much as gives you a little love tap. .. :) I could shoot it all day without any wear or tear on me.
So don't reject the .44 over recoil, it is actually mellow.
My brother shot a Marlin '95 .45-70 and loaded some that seemed pretty hot to me. That rascal kicked. The .44s and .357s are extremely fun to shoot. The .30-30 is also a sweet round.
I loove my BBS.
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:39 pm

That's easy, My BBS 41Mag.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Rustbelt
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Rustbelt » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:08 pm

I've been debating this for the last couple of months and I chose the 45-70.
I think the 45-70 and the pump 12 gauge (I like the Remington 870's) can cover all my hunting needs.
0 x