Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Which one would you choose and why.

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Which one would you choose and why.

Post by JCN » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:53 am

Well I only have one so it's an easy choice. The BBS .357. You know there are some guns that I've bought for fun (Ruger 6" GP 100 and Glock 20). They aren't very practical and didn't see too much range time. Then there are other guns like my BBS .357 and my Glock 19 that will always see a ton of range time due to practicality. The ammo is affordable, the recoil is manageable and just overall a blast to shoot!
1 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:32 am

I love all 3 for different reasons. For a long time I just had 2 Henry's. 22 and 44 mag Big Boy.

Well 22 is off the list cause it doesn't count here. It's a 22 and everybody has to have at least one of those.

So for me I'd have to say my Big Boy 44. It's fits so well and is so versatile. To me it's what every cowboy lever action should be. One gun that can do most anything you ask of it! It's what started the whole concept for me. 44 mag rifle and side arm. One ammo to carry. Enough power to save my rear from an angry bear or bad guy if needed! :lol: Between the revolver and rifle 16 (17 with 1 in the chamber) rounds loaded. If I need more than that It's probably already too late!

The 45/70 is a close 2nd. But I don't want to shoot that handgun! Ammo is awful heavy to be packin' a lot of it.
1 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

JNG3
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JNG3 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:39 am

BBS 357. If you reload you can tailor loads from small game to medium/non dangerous large game.
2 x

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:52 am

My husband would choose his HENRY 45-70 for hunting and for woods/wilderness protection. He hunted in a different location this past year with a friend. This hunting location was right up to THE BOB. Grizz country.

His second choice for a HENRY rifle would be in 30-30 (H009) which he recently purchased with his full in store credit.

He reloads (Over 40 years.) and can adjust his loads as he wishes. He does have his favorite loads.

We owned a 357Magnum HENRY rifle and it was/is a great and beautiful rifle but we got out of ALL 357Magnum and 38Special and Plus P caliber firearms (Rifles/handguns.) some time ago. So I agree with many of you on that rifle and caliber.

Cate
PS: I do not hunt and I do not reload. (I rarely shoot RF rifles at this time. I do enjoy my husband's shooting at the range and hunting adventures even though my arthritis is worse.)
1 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:19 pm

Glad to see you posting again Cate
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:15 pm

[quote="Catherine"]My husband would choose his HENRY 45-70 for hunting and for woods/wilderness protection. He hunted in a different location this past year with a friend. This hunting location was right up to THE BOB. Grizz country.

His second choice for a HENRY rifle would be in 30-30 (H009) which he recently purchased with his full in store credit.

He reloads (Over 40 years.) and can adjust his loads as he wishes. He does have his favorite loads.

Cate
Im curious about something because of your husbands 30-30 choice. What if Henry would of been chambering a 38-55 would that change anything for him? Al
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:42 am

Henry88 wrote:Glad to see you posting again Cate
Thank you.

Cate
0 x

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:24 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Catherine wrote:My husband would choose his HENRY 45-70 for hunting and for woods/wilderness protection. He hunted in a different location this past year with a friend. This hunting location was right up to THE BOB. Grizz country.

Cate
Im curious about something because of your husbands 30-30 choice. What if Henry would of been chambering a 38-55 would that change anything for him? Al
Hi Al,

I do not think so because he downsized ALL of his calibers and firearms. I did the same thing as many of you already know. Plus I have not owned, open carried/conceal carried or shot handguns for several years now.

I do not know if he ever owned the caliber that you mentioned above in the past long before he met me. I personally do not know jack squat about that caliber other than seeing it mentioned on some forums and looking it up online just now. I DO know that he owned a BUNCH of calibers in VARIOUS firearm brands and styles since he was a young man. (We are in our 60's.) Rifles, shotguns and handguns.

Side note: He just came home from his walk and he said that he did not own that caliber but he did own a MARLIN 375 Winchester, several 358 Winchester rifles including a HW Jr. RUGER MODEL 77 LIMITED RUN RIFLE - Double A grade walnut, etc. I only saw one of THOSE caliber rifles and it belonged to HANK WILLIAMS JR. HW Jr. has or had several homes in Montana. That rifle never made it on the shelf when my husband sold it.

I did see other firearms of his in various calibers over the years but he owned far MORE guns in his life compared to mine in my specifically chosen calibers. Most of my guns were bought back east and I deliberately bought guns that could SHARE ammo with my other guns.

Since he downsized - he only owns these calibers:

45acp - He only owns and shoots 2 handguns total now on purpose.

22lr

30-30 HENRY and CT Made Marlin

45-70 HENRY and CT Made Marlin

30-06 older rifle

BOLT action rifles and only 4 CF LEVER action rifles. NO semi automatic rifles. NO s/a and d/a revolvers. NO shotgun.

Cate
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:49 pm

Thanks Cate. Im a lover of the straight wall cases for reloading reasons. They are much easier to reload than a bottleneck case. The 38-55 is quite an old round as it goes back to the days of black powder. I have always liked that round. Its like a little brother to the 45-70. I am hope Henry will come out soon with that caliber. Al
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:27 pm

I too love the simplicity of loading straight wall cartridges. That and I just like big bullets that make big holes and go boom.
3 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.