Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Tired old eyes

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Tired old eyes

Post by Squatch » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:55 pm

You can do both. For the 45/70 Skinner has a new receiver sight that is both a Skinner peep and a scope mount in one package. Seems like a great option to me.
http://www.skinnersights.com/henry_rifles_18.html

Like Tractor Tad I have a Skinner rear and a Lyman 20a globe on the front. I went with the Skinner XA for Marlin rifles. It's a little taller and holds a spare aperture on the mount. Most any of the Marlin 336 sights will also fit the Henry 45/70.

Pics of my 45/70 sights here.
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 4&start=10
1 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:29 pm

Great advice from all as always. For me, @25 to 50 yds, I use the original buckhorn with the HiViz and wear 1.00 reading glasses, they also come with a magnetic clip on sun glass lense that is cool.

Anyway, I would have thought magnification of 1.00 to be unity, but there is a slight amount of correction; very slight. It's not enough to blur the target at those ranges, but brings the buckhorn into focus nicely. More than that I have a cheap 4X32 just for the H001 that I'll clip on, but actually doesn't help that much @25yds.
1 x

GaHenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GaHenryFan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:56 pm

bmur66 wrote:Thanks for laying that out there so well NCG. You helped me make a decision. I am going to purchase an aimpoint.
I have the Primary Arms micro red dot. I've been really pleased with it, and it's a fraction of the price.
SAM_7114-01-01.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

bmur66
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by bmur66 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:12 am

GaHenryFan wrote:
bmur66 wrote:Thanks for laying that out there so well NCG. You helped me make a decision. I am going to purchase an aimpoint.
I have the Primary Arms micro red dot. I've been really pleased with it, and it's a fraction of the price.
SAM_7114-01-01.jpeg
Nice. Where did you find that full length rail?
0 x

GaHenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GaHenryFan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:40 am

It's a custom fabrication. The details are at the end of this post.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3113
0 x

bmur66
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by bmur66 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:07 am

GaHenryFan wrote:
It's a custom fabrication. The details are at the end of this post.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3113
I see. I like that.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:08 am

Nice to see folks using red dots on lever guns, even if it isn't "traditional". I also use them on other types of rifles and, of course, handguns of every type. Red dots on rifles do have advantages, even for folks with good eyesight. Red dots work especially well on lever guns, though.

1. Unlike scopes, red dots are small enough and light enough as to not change that all important handling and balance we get with our lever guns.

2. Red dots are the fastest sight to get on target and that also fits right in with the fast handling, quick to get on target nature of lever guns. Don't have to worry about eye placement, either, as with a scope. As soon as you can see the dot, you're ready to shoot.

3. In my testing in our dark woods, red dots came in first for sight visibility. Since so many folks use lever guns for hunting in the woods, this is a big plus.

4. Lastly, red dots are just plain fun to use. Super choice for plinking, shooting steel and so on.

Disclaimer: I don't work for any company that sells reddest. :)
0 x

GaHenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GaHenryFan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:30 am

There's a third option to consider and that's a good red dot. Gives you better sight visibility than iron sights, especially in low light conditions and nothing faster to get on target. Here's a little Bushnell TRS-25 on a Marlin 39A.
Image[/quote]

Hi, North Country Gal,
I have a Bushnell Trs-25 on my Browning Buckmark and I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread until I discovered the Primary Arms red dot. The dot is smaller and crisper, and it has a lower low for those really low light situations.
SAM_6165-01.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:50 am

Good points on red dots.

Brightness settings are very important, not only for the sake of visibility, but also for accuracy and dot sharpness. Use the minimum brightness that gives you enough visibility for shooting. Having too bright a dot is a beginner's mistake. Gets you a fuzzy dot.

Dot size is another thing to consider. Dot sizes are listed in MOA (minute of angle). A 5 MOA dot, then covers a 5" circle at 100 yards. For serious target work, competitors like to go down as small as 2 MOA. For hunting and general purpose shooting, I like a 3 or 4 MOA dot size. The big 5 MOA dots an larger are used for the action shooting crowd to pick up the dot, fast, but some competitors like to use them for bullseye work, too. A dot that is just large enough to almost cover up the bullseye, just leaving a thin black ring around the dot with that particular size bullseye, can provide great accuracy.

One trick I've learned with 3 and 4 MOA dots for work at long distances, is not to use the center of the dot as the aiming point. Covers up too much of the target at long distances. Instead, I use the top of the red dot, just as you would the top of a front sight. Have shot some great groups at 100 yard with a 4 MOA dot using this technique.

If your eyes are seeing a fuzzy dot on a quality red dot model, you'll sometimes get a sharper dot by using two eyes, instead of one. Have found that it's easier to use the two eye approach with the dot mounted out on the barrel, scout style, as in GaHenry's Henry setup, above.
0 x

Wisconsin Shooter
Tenderfoot

Post by Wisconsin Shooter » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:27 pm

I put a scope on my model 95 but I put a Skinner brass peep on my Henry 45C. I needed some help with my eyes also and would not put a scope on my Henry brass receiver with octy barrel. The brass Skinner looks great and gives these old eyes great shooting. A real good combo and a pleasure to shoot.
0 x