Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry quality control

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Henry quality control

Post by GFK » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:09 am

Mistered wrote:If the number of Henry issues I read about on this forum (and the subsequent returns) are multiplied by those we don't hear about then the problems might be bigger than we realize and Henry could no doubt be overwhelmed with customer service follow-ups. This is just speculation however and only time will tell along with reports of customer service experiences by those needing it - good or bad.
Good point.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:17 am

JNG3 wrote:Well here is a reality check! This quote was copied and pasted from another forum and is dated from 2015. So it's recent. Maybe we Henry owners don't have it so bad based on this quote about Rossi's ( Braztech) and what can be seen on the Marlin forums. Here is the quote verbatim-

"The wood in my Rossis was pretty decent after applying 2 or 3 coats of tru-oil right on over the factory shoe polish finish.
The metal internals were what took most of the work.
There were more burrs in the actions of those Rossi 92s than there are on a porcupine in heat.
Each gun took 4 hours with stones and jewelers files.
I don't think there is anyone at that Rossi factory that knows the meaning of the phrase "fit & finish"

Maybe we don't have it all bad?
Even though relativity provides a perspective, it should be a substitute for quality of work (Mind you as you pointed out, the quality is not bad. We are all humans). But as North Country Gal pointed out, our feedback or lack thereof sets the standard one is willing to accept.
Last edited by GFK on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:01 am

The incredibly poor machining on the Rossi .357 lever that I looked at was the reason I bought my first Henry. Some parts looked like someone with a bad hangover made them with a grinder in the garage. No offense to anybody with a hangover and a grinder in the garage.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jdl447 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:02 pm

clovishound wrote:?...No offense to anybody with a hangover and a grinder in the garage.
Sounds like my Monday mornings.
0 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

CentFlHenry41
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by CentFlHenry41 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:45 pm

After reading this thread for a while I decided to open the safe, over all I'm pretty picky and the 41 magnum is acceptable,the wood to metal does not fit 100% but without this thread I would never had notice the slight imperfection,barrel and bluing looks good.
1 x
Uzi IMI Model A 9mm
Henry 41 Rem Mag
Alexander Arms 50 Beowulf
Colt Anaconda 4" 44 Mag
Baby Eagle IMI 9mm
Rock Island Ultra FS 10mm
Ruger Gp100 3" 357 Mag
S&W 10-7 2" 38 Spl
S&W Shield Performance Center 9mm

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:10 am

Looking at my 2013 30-30, there are slight "flaws" in the fit of the stock in that it's a little proud in places, but that's not unusual at all. The new single shot has almost perfect wood to metal fit. What I find odd is the "misalignment" of a Big Boy stock shown on another thread, it looks like it has enough wood (shaped properly), but is proud on the top, and scant on the bottom of the tang. Error in the inletting?
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:34 am

I can honestly say the BB I bought in 2015 was literally perfect - and I inspected it in the LGS for over a half hour before buying it - even ran a patch down the barrel. The action was a bit rough but felt like nothing more than common 'dryness' I knew would clear up with my STANDARD disassembly and cleaning of any NEW gun - new or used - which should be SOP for anyone with a new gun. Ultimately it was as good as my inspection and a good cleaning (including the loading tub - in and out) and the minor deburr to the open end has resulted in one of the smoothest functioning guns I have EVER owned. Regardless as a long term gun owner I have come to expect minor issues I know I will resolve myself - but then my background is mechanical, machining, welding etc. so 'home gunsmithing' is just an extension of my interests.
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:25 pm

My 45 colt BB was slick as can be. Hundreds of rounds thru it with no issues as well. A real shooter right out of the box.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:07 pm

Ditto RR! The only complaint I have against my 357 is the guy pulling the trigger.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

mlrifleNY
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by mlrifleNY » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:20 pm

I bought 2 new Henrys in the last year. A BBB 44mag. and an 1860. Both have great wood to metal fit. The BB shoots and works great, the 1860 is waiting for better weather to venture out.

Jim
0 x
Henry BBB 44mag
Henry 1860
Henry 45/70 Brass