Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry quality control

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Henry quality control

Post by Cofisher » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:39 pm

I know I am not alone in this. It seems we are seeing more complaints about the finish quality of our Henry rifles.

I purchased a used 357 steel carbine. It was perfect. I know many of us have had the same experience. It seems, however, that more and more are coming out with issues.

I expect we all know the pressure that is currently the norm at Henry Manufacturing. With all the new models to manufacture, they are in a bind. Can this be the reason for the blemishes and errors we have seen in rifles purchased recently?

I believe in Henry, and Anthony Imperato. That said, is it possible they have out grown their ability to produce a good product? I truly hope not. We all depend on them to provide us with a good quality rifle.

I looked long and hard before deciding the Henry was the better rifle over the Marlin. I do not regret this decision at all. I love my rifle.

Live long and prosper HRA.
4 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Henry quality control

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:44 pm

I'm not sure what is driving the spike in their business, but it definitely seems like they have grown big time. A lever gun renaissance? Renewed interest in cowboy style rifles? Dunno, but I'm sure they are playing catch up and trying to get ahead of the issues.
The HRA Big Boy 45 Colt that I had was flawless as well. My friend who now owns it, and has had many, many rifles over the years says it is the finest firearm he's ever owned.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:46 pm

I have no clue how many long guns Henry's combined production turns out each day but I suspect that its a pretty good size number .... by comparison, the number with issues that we see is probably pretty low .... so long as Henry continues to have outstanding service after the sale, I really don't think there is an issue
3 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:12 pm

I'm not sure what is driving the spike in their business, but it definitely seems like they have grown big time. A lever gun renaissance?
All of the above - but I believe Henry is stretching themselves out a bit too 'thin' and I hope it does not result in an overall reduction in quality and the inability to provide the customer service they provide.
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:29 pm

I kinda agree with JEBar....as long as they keep their service level high and address issues, they'll sell lots of rifles.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:43 am

I have for several years been partial to Henry Rifles and Ruger handguns. I also have recently noticed more complaints with both Henry rifles and the Ruger products. I have dealt with customer service from both of these companies and both have been excellent with quick turn around times.
I know the bottom line is to make a profit but it would seem to me that making a flawless product that does not require attention after the sale would actually help the bottom line.
A satisfied customer is a repeat customer.
0 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:57 am

Cofisher wrote:I know I am not alone in this. It seems we are seeing more complaints about the finish quality of our Henry rifles.

I purchased a used 357 steel carbine. It was perfect. I know many of us have had the same experience. It seems, however, that more and more are coming out with issues.

I expect we all know the pressure that is currently the norm at Henry Manufacturing. With all the new models to manufacture, they are in a bind. Can this be the reason for the blemishes and errors we have seen in rifles purchased recently?

I believe in Henry, and Anthony Imperato. That said, is it possible they have out grown their ability to produce a good product? I truly hope not. We all depend on them to provide us with a good quality rifle.

I looked long and hard before deciding the Henry was the better rifle over the Marlin. I do not regret this decision at all. I love my rifle.

Live long and prosper HRA.
You may have hit the nail on the head. I hope they are able to flex with the demand as well. I do not regret my decision of a Henry over a Marlin also. Even though, I have spent hours cleaning it before my first shot. For the most part, it seems like was made well. Hopefully this weekend, I will get an opportunity to see how it and I can shoot.
Last edited by GFK on Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:26 am

I'm not going to mention names on this question of quality control, but I do see a disturbing trend in the industry, namely, a move to a business model that sacrifices quality control for the sake of higher production numbers and then cleaning up the mess when bad products get out with their "great" customer service.

I've experienced this, directly, and, frankly, I find it infuriating. We, as customers, have a right to expect that when we pay big bucks for a gun, odds should be very high that it will be good to go, right out of the box. Yes, there will always be lemons, but that percentage should be very low. When it gets to the point where you actually expect to have issues with a brand, it's gone way too far. I've been there. It got to a point with a certain brand where I was spending more time trying to fix issues on my own or on the phone with their "excellent" customer service than actually shooting their guns.

Please, please, please, do not let Henry go down this road. You're only making the problem worse by accepting lack of quality control because Henry has great customer service. Loyalty to a brand is one thing, but "great customer service" should never be a substitute for quality control. That just further entrenches this business model. If you have a problem with a Henry, you don't have to be rude and nasty when you contact them, but you do need to politely express your concern about how the gun left the factory that way. Lastly, when someone posts about a legit problem with their Henry, take it, seriously. Telling someone that Henry has great customer service isn't helping. It's a quality control issue, not a customer service issue.

Rant, over.
8 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:47 pm

North Country Gal wrote:I'm not going to mention names on this question of quality control, but I do see a disturbing trend in the industry, namely, a move to a business model that sacrifices quality control for the sake of higher production numbers and then cleaning up the mess when bad products get out with their "great" customer service.

I've experienced this, directly, and, frankly, I find it infuriating. We, as customers, have a right to expect that when we pay big bucks for a gun, odds should be very high that it will be good to go, right out of the box. Yes, there will always be lemons, but that percentage should be very low. When it gets to the point where you actually expect to have issues with a brand, it's gone way too far. I've been there. It got to a point with a certain brand where I was spending more time trying to fix issues on my own or on the phone with their "excellent" customer service than actually shooting their guns.

Please, please, please, do not let Henry go down this road. You're only making the problem worse by accepting lack of quality control because Henry has great customer service. Loyalty to a brand is one thing, but "great customer service" should never be a substitute for quality control. That just further entrenches this business model. If you have a problem with a Henry, you don't have to be rude and nasty when you contact them, but you do need to politely express your concern about how the gun left the factory that way. Lastly, when someone posts about a legit problem with their Henry, take it, seriously. Telling someone that Henry has great customer service isn't helping. It's a quality control issue, not a customer service issue.

Rant, over.
Rant over? There is not too much left to mention. I think you covered everything and nicely done!
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:00 pm

I have been hesitant to express my opinion about Henry's customer service as a majority of the forum seems that it is to be excellent.

I have to say that I am a little under whelmed with it. I have been dealing via email with my problem and getting it resolved has been a real hassle. I knew is would be slower using email but I like a written record when dealing with any company. And it has been SLOW. Still waiting for a UPS label that was promised a week ago. It was to be sent via email. Nothing. Before that one email after another as the cs person would ask for more info one question at a time. Or he would ask for the same info twice. I believe I gave him the serial # three times. Gave him my return address twice. And then the shipping instructions.... You have to strip you rifle down to original condition, no scopes, no added sites, no decorations, no leather. Find a plain box with no logo to send it back, which I did, thanks to a tip from a forum member ( my gun shop ). On and on and on.

Ok, I done. I do agree though with what North Country Gal said. Concise and to the point. You are turning into my second favorite cheese head. :) :) My first? My lovely wife of 46 years. My own North Country Gal. :D
2 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856