Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry quality control

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Henry quality control

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:33 pm

The Wiz wrote:After waiting patiently for a return label via email for 9 days, I finally called to see what the hold up was.
Sorry you waited so long (too long) to check, Wiz.

Let this be a heads up to everyone else. If you are told you're going to get a return label by email and it doesn't come that day, call back right away to tell them something is wrong. Stuff happens. I've had to return a rifle to HRA twice and in each case the shipping label was received within minutes and my rifle was returned within ten days. That's how it should work. This is a very unfortunate example of how otherwise good systems can fail.

Keep us posted, Wiz. Thanks for the update.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JNG3
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JNG3 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:39 pm

The Wiz-

First off I'm not defending HRA, but I NEVER use email to deal with CS from any company. If I was promised a call tag via email and I did not receive one in 24 hours, I would be on the horn finding out why. Not unusual for business to close for the lunch hour either. I personally would of left a message with the call center. Stripping the firearm down to the condition as delivered from the factory is par for the course whether it's Henry or Browning, or whomever. All that said I'm sure Henry will make it right. It is extremely frustrating when the new firearm does not work correctly. I will say in Henry's defense that it is much easier dealing with them then some of the other brands!
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:39 pm

Mistered wrote:Final last few years for Winchester weren’t pretty either (U.S Repeating Arms Winchester - not Miroku made Winchesters)
So, you claiming we may be witnessing a death?
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:20 pm

Not making any claims - but I hope Henry takes heed and doesn't continue to spread themselves too thin and really loose any of the ground they have managed to take hold of.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:12 am

Mistered wrote:
Not making any claims - but I hope Henry takes heed and doesn't continue to spread themselves too thin and really loose any of the ground they have managed to take hold of.
Oh. Okay. I though you were referring to Marlin's current pain. Yes, I think the ground is ripe you Henry also.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:52 am

Actually I was referring to Marlin's current pain (as I had just happened to be reading about more of it on another forum) however the difference is Marlin has 125 + years of tradition behind them - and this can be good or bad for them depending on how they handle their problems. Henry on the other hand does not have this 'time in grade' and has nowhere to go but up - as any 'down' for them would not be a long fall. Historically they are following a similar 'evolutionary' path as Ruger, sort of, in that they are the 'small fish' trying to make big waves to gain acceptance - and to a certain degree they are - but even Ruger still has to work hard in some areas of design to gain acceptance and respect for their products.
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:54 am

.................Not neutralizing the metal work after blueing correctly, leading to 'after rust'.
Unfortunately I noticed this on my fairly new Henry .327 Steel yesterday at the range. I did not notice it in room light but when I uncased it on the bench I noticed the problem when the sunlight hit the barrel. The least I can say is I felt disappointed. I don't know if I want to send it back or not as it shoots very well but am concerned about the rust on the barrel. I took some 8000 grit micromesh and Rustproofe® and got it off but the underlying metal on the barrel is showing through in spots. I made sure I polished it afterwards with Renaissance Wax® and put it back in the gun safe. Not sure what to do..... :(
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:14 am

I'd contact Henry, and probably send it back. If the bluing was flawed, they should fix it. On the other hand, though, I've had success using Brownell's Oxpho-blue to touch up various little scuffs and dings. In that application, it blends in well. It's a cold blue, though, and I have never used it on a significant area, or for a total re-blue. For me, it would depend on how much bare metal is present; It might be worth a try.
0 x

JNG3
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JNG3 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:22 pm

Well here is a reality check! This quote was copied and pasted from another forum and is dated from 2015. So it's recent. Maybe we Henry owners don't have it so bad based on this quote about Rossi's ( Braztech) and what can be seen on the Marlin forums. Here is the quote verbatim-

"The wood in my Rossis was pretty decent after applying 2 or 3 coats of tru-oil right on over the factory shoe polish finish.
The metal internals were what took most of the work.
There were more burrs in the actions of those Rossi 92s than there are on a porcupine in heat.
Each gun took 4 hours with stones and jewelers files.
I don't think there is anyone at that Rossi factory that knows the meaning of the phrase "fit & finish"

Maybe we don't have it all bad?
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:47 pm

If the number of Henry issues I read about on this forum (and the subsequent returns) are multiplied by those we don't hear about then the problems might be bigger than we realize and Henry could no doubt be overwhelmed with customer service follow-ups. This is just speculation however and only time will tell along with reports of customer service experiences by those needing it - good or bad.
0 x