Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry quality control

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Henry quality control

Post by GFK » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:49 pm

I had a different experience. I was notified and was able to track the package. So, I was able to take off for that day. However, it was delivered when I would have been home anyway. Maybe, Henry has more returns than usual?
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:21 pm

I said I was not going to talk about this anymore but I have to share this. Today, after receiving the rifle yesterday , I got 2 emails from Henry with today's date. One saying that rifle is being shipped today. The other was directions on how to access their status site with a different password from the one they gave me before to track delivery. What can I say except this a perfect way to end this fiasco. And this is really, really, really, the last time I will talk about this.
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Sfoster4
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Sfoster4 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:52 am

Let me first say I love my Henry rifles. I have a H001, H004B, Long Ranger .308 and a H009CC on the way. I had to send my .308 back for repair. Henry has it right now. The bolt would not close all the way with the cartridge in it and if it did it had difficulty ejecting the case. In fact the center of the bolt would seperate from the outer bolt. I bought it last year and have put less than 100 rounds through it. It is very disappointing but I didn’t have to pay to ship it to them and I believe they will stand behind it fully. It shot extremely well and is very accurate.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:35 am

The Wiz wrote:I said I was not going to talk about this anymore but I have to share this. Today, after receiving the rifle yesterday , I got 2 emails from Henry with today's date. One saying that rifle is being shipped today. The other was directions on how to access their status site with a different password from the one they gave me before to track delivery. What can I say except this a perfect way to end this fiasco. And this is really, really, really, the last time I will talk about this.
I think it is fine to talk about it. Just state the facts and let the reader draw their own conclusion on Henry's quality control.
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:46 am

The Wiz wrote:received the rifle today. Replaced inner tube. Works like a champ. cleaned the gun from their test firing and raring to go.

Peace everyone,
Mike

good to hear .... looking forward to your range reports
0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:05 pm

I was going to show the target I used for my first ten rounds but I was not quite all there after my "incident" and left it. The shot pattern was vertical all in a line with a couple of bull eyes. Maybe a six inch spread. I am not sure what that is telling me. All shots where bench. Ideas?
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:00 pm

2 things to check. 1st vertical stringing is usually caused by a hot and heating up barrel. Hot not warm.

I had the same thing happen when the loading tube jumped off the set screw in the receiver in my 44 Big Boy a while back. I'd take the barrel band and fore stock off and inspect the loading tube very closely. it is held by a drive pin at the muzzle end and a stepped set screw at the bottom of the receiver. The little nipple on the end of the set screw fits in a hole in the loading tube. It should be flush inside the tube so cartridges slide by. Don't over tighten it as this will bend the loading tube inwards. It should be Loc-Tited. Hope this helps.

Don't get into removing the pin and the loading tube. Just inspect it for now. Hope this helps.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Thanks for the info. I will see what I find and report back.
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Preacher
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Preacher » Sat May 19, 2018 9:24 pm

A few things to consider. Manufacturing can be unpredictable. When introducing new models, it's really a guessing game as to what the demand is going to be. Same thing when sales spike. That means that almost any manufacturer can have "growing pains" where it takes quality control and customer service time to catch up to increased demand. Customer service is only a back up when a unit slips through quality control. The best customer service is customer service that doesn't need to be used. Someone suggested that the number of defective units could be higher than thought if you consider all of the folks who might have an issue and not report it or talk about it online. I suggest another angle: there could be millions of people who have no issue at all with their guns and just don't come online to talk about how great their Henry really is. The only way to get a clear picture is to compare the rate of defective units produced against the total number of units produced (I'm sure Henry keeps track of this, after all customer service cost the company money). I have never heard of a manufacturer whose quality control is 100%. I'm sure given time, Henry will correct the problems (no matter what they are). Good companies always do.
3 x
A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu May 31, 2018 12:14 pm

Well, packed up the BBS .327 Federal Mag this morning and returned to Henry. I noted of concern the failure to fire problem that is becoming more acute and the problem that may possibly be related to a headspace issue. Hopefully I'll get some communication along the way of the warranty process. I hated to send it back but I felt it was necessary.
3 x