Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

How old is my Big Boy? (Updated to sticky with instructions from Henry)

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
ragtop69
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: How old is my Big Boy? (Updated to sticky with instructions from Henry)

Post by ragtop69 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:40 pm

I'm trying to sell my brass Big Boy 357M so I can buy one of the new side gate models in the same caliber. I bought mine about four years ago but I've only put 30 rounds through it. 20 rounds of .38 special and 10 rounds of .357M just to feel the recoil difference, (not much). I still have the original box it came in. I'm kinda disappointed that you guys bought yours for $500 and $600 from gun dealers. The new side gates are selling for around $950 and I was hoping to finance most of that with the proceeds from my sale. It's very confusing out here in the Peoples Republic of California. The shops that buy used rifles wanted to offer $400 for it sight unseen. I spoke with a range that took guns on consignment and they said they thought I should ask $1,200 for it. Idiots! So, my gun is in new condition, no marks or other flaws, and is still in the box. What should I realistically expect to get for it?
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: How old is my Big Boy? (Updated to sticky with instructions from Henry)

Post by Vaquero » Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:13 am

ragtop69 wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:40 pm
I'm trying to sell my brass Big Boy 357M so I can buy one of the new side gate models in the same caliber. I bought mine about four years ago but I've only put 30 rounds through it. 20 rounds of .38 special and 10 rounds of .357M just to feel the recoil difference, (not much). I still have the original box it came in. I'm kinda disappointed that you guys bought yours for $500 and $600 from gun dealers. The new side gates are selling for around $950 and I was hoping to finance most of that with the proceeds from my sale. It's very confusing out here in the Peoples Republic of California. The shops that buy used rifles wanted to offer $400 for it sight unseen. I spoke with a range that took guns on consignment and they said they thought I should ask $1,200 for it. Idiots! So, my gun is in new condition, no marks or other flaws, and is still in the box. What should I realistically expect to get for it?
The rifles that the fellows were talking about buying at 5 and $600 were a few years ago, check out the dates of their post.
As you stated, the side gates can be had for just under a grand and the popularity of the non side gate models has deteriorated quite a bit.
Not sure what a reasonable price would be, even in the new in the box condition.
Don't have a clue what they cost 4 yrs. ago either, but I did jump over on gun broker for a quick look see.
Found a couple non-SG models, one new and one used, both were around $900.
That being said, personally I wouldn't pay that much for one knowing I could have a SG model for only a few bucks more.
Good luck on the endeavor.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012