Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

rifle shims

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
LeverLuvr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: rifle shims

Post by LeverLuvr » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:07 am

I got the shims today from TriggerShims.com , great service and nice people. I put them in tonight and wow! This Big Boy is nice and tight now, feels real solid . I Put the shims in the lever and the hammer, didn't mess with the trigger, that seemed ok. Before it had just a very slight creep to it but now its gone. I also polished a few surfaces while apart but nothing was really bad to start with. Over all very happy with the results. hope to get to the range in the next week. I'll try and pop a bulleye for Squatch
3 x

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:46 am

I got the lever shims for my Henry and that tightened the lever up a good bit but the trigger, I didn't do anything to. I am afraid it will need more then shims to make it anywhere close to a decent trigger. Worse trigger I ever had on a rifle. Hard to believe when everybody else seems to say they have great triggers on a Henry. Mine must have been a Monday or Friday rifle.
0 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:03 am

I put shims in my marmin 336 and it worked well t I take out side flop
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:08 am

Team Roper wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:46 am
I got the lever shims for my Henry and that tightened the lever up a good bit but the trigger, I didn't do anything to. I am afrai
d it will need more then shims to make it anywhere close to a decent trigger. Worse trigger I ever had on a rifle. Hard to believe when everybody else seems to say they have great triggers on a Henry. Mine must have been a Monday or Friday rifle.
I agree 110%, the one on my BB X .44 Mag is just plain nasty. 6.5 pounds and TWO distinct grunchy pre-stages before it finally breaks cleanly. It went back to Henry because it would not cycle anything and I thought they would have fixed the trigger then. Nope. I will go into it myself soon. It isn’t pleasant to shoot. There is nothing like a really bad trigger to piss off an owner.... but I love everything else.

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:10 am

John E Davies wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:08 am
Team Roper wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:46 am
I got the lever shims for my Henry and that tightened the lever up a good bit but the trigger, I didn't do anything to. I am afrai
d it will need more then shims to make it anywhere close to a decent trigger. Worse trigger I ever had on a rifle. Hard to believe when everybody else seems to say they have great triggers on a Henry. Mine must have been a Monday or Friday rifle.
I agree 110%, the one on my BB X .44 Mag is just plain nasty. 6.5 pounds and TWO distinct grunchy pre-stages before it finally breaks cleanly. It went back to Henry because it would not cycle anything and I thought they would have fixed the trigger then. Nope. I will go into it myself soon. It isn’t pleasant to shoot. There is nothing like a really bad trigger to piss off an owner.... but I love everything else.

John Davies
Spokane WA
Mine is a 44 magnum and it isn't even close to being even a good hunting trigger. You described mine in your reply. Mine is 7 pounds but it isn't even consistent with a feel of scraping over big rocks then smooth then just before the break, moving over more big rocks and then boom and hope you are somewhere close to your last shot. I heard they aren't easy to work on or I would but I just don't have the desire to even take it back out of the safe. When I was looking for a 45 Colt here about a month ago, the LGS had a Remlin and a Henry. Of course the Henry looked beautiful but when I tried the trigger and yes, the store owner let me pull them, the Remlin had the sweet trigger that is the one I went with. I have a good gunsmith friend that I shot SASS with so eventually here, I will mention my Henry to him and see what he can do with it.
0 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67

LeverLuvr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by LeverLuvr » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:23 am

I have to agree with the above statements. My first Henry was the BBB 44 mag and the trigger was horrible. had to send it back as it got to a point it wouldn't even release no matter how hard I pulled. Once returned (6 days later), it was perfect and never had another issue after that. I was looking at one a couple of weeks ago in the LGS and that one (12 years later) had the same issue. My 357 has a fairly heavy pull, but it is smooth and crisp. I did have an issue after the first 30 rounds where the shells where very hard to extract once fired (357), they cycled fine in and out if not fired, and 38's where fine regardless. Not sure why, but I took the gun completely apart and gave it a good cleaning, then used different ammo the next time out with no problems. I chalked it off to a bad batch of ammo (Magtech).
Much as I love Henry rifles, based on my personal experiences, and a lot of what I have read in forums and observed in reviews, They definitely could benefit from a little tweaking in the manufacturing stages and quality control. They are nice and solid guns, but buying new and having to send it back first thing to be made right buy A+ customer service is a bit aggravating. If they could just improve on the clearances to tighten them up a bit, and the trigger pull, they'd be the undisputed king in my book. Maybe I'll send a letter to Anthony himself with some general concerns and problems, just to re-enforce some things to look at in the manufacturing stages. Outstanding customer service is great, but if people become hesitant to buy to start with, what good is it. They are just sooooo close.
1 x

LeverLuvr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by LeverLuvr » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:52 am

Well, I'm FINALLY going to the range today. Got busy with things and haven't had the time to go. Looking forward to some shootin with the new shims in place. Will follow up tonight.
0 x

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:35 am

As a follow up to my Henry 44 mag. problems with the trigger and a few other issues, I just turned mine over to a good gunsmith friend of mine and told him to make it right or it's going to be collecting dust this hunting season. For $20, I had everything fixed and am quite happy and had it back in a week. Funny thing, as much as many complain about the Remlins, I recently bought a new one in 45 Colt and it doesn't need a thing done to it. I think good quality control is pretty lacking in most gun industries and a bad one slips by or is just gone over by somebody who just doesn't care.
0 x
Army Paratrooper
combat jump 2/67

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:11 pm

I'm waiting for Squatch to chime in....would be a Forum first! Hey you never know....
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

LeverLuvr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by LeverLuvr » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:03 pm

Had a good day at the range yesterday. Got my Tikka sighted in and getting 1/2" groups at 100 yds....I'm happy wit dat! Played with the Henry a bit and I gotta say, the shims were worth it. I liken this rifle to a Cadillac. Heavy, solid, and now tight. Racking the lever is like closing a door on the old Detroit steel of yester-year. It ain't fast, but it's a smooth ride. Now for my next Henry, hmmmm???? Kinda thinkin a 30-30 steel, something a little lighter. Maybe if I start saving bottle caps, I can splurge on a wildlife edition. That sure is a purty gun, and I got the full assortment shim pack so I got plenty for the next Henry, or 2 or 3.
1 x