Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Plastic parts on Henry Levers ie; Long Ranger?

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Plastic parts on Henry Levers ie; Long Ranger?

Post by Yornoc3 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:45 pm

You know, I can almost understand that comment about a Henry being too pretty to own. The wood quality in the two I have is equal to, or better, than that of a Ruger #1-A and a Brno Effect I also have. I really don't know how they do it.
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:51 pm

They make a solid, working man's (or woman's) rifle that has the extra advantage of looking great. I'm not sure who would have an issue with that. They have some quality issues like anybody else but they look after their customers. I thought my Big Boy 45 Colt was great, and the guy who bought it from me says it's the finest firearm he's ever owned, and he hunts and owns lots of guns.
I especially don't get any Americans bashing HRA...seems, well,...un-American.
Just my Canadian two cents.
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:15 pm

Mistered wrote:
Latest I've read is, "They are to pretty to take hunting. "
I actually read on another forum, "I decided to sell my Big Boy because it was too pretty to own"
I’ve sold a coupla guns that were too pretty to shoot. :)

I’m not at all sure why that “plastic parts” boloney just will not go away. For anyone reading this who is new to Henry, yes, a long time ago the H001 Classic came with a plastic front sight and a plastic barrel band. Henry changed that a number of years ago, and both parts are now metal. As Sir Henry stated, if you find an old one that still has the plastic parts, give Henry a call and they will send metal parts.

The followers on the magazines are plastic, as they seem to be these days on almost all lever guns.

Other than that, Henry lever guns, pumps and single shots are made from metal and wood.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:21 pm

From what I have gathered the little time I have had my Henry, it is well made. That is the main reason I purchased it. I was looking for a Marlin 336C. When I seen the Henry H009, I looked no further. It did not appear to be made in a rush. It seemed more crafted than assembles. I suspect it will last for awhile.

But, I am curious to see if there is a noticeable difference between the 1/12 twist rate of the Henry H009 and the 1/10 twist rate of the Marlin 336W. Or, is it more like the difference between a Chevy and a Ford? A matter of taste and style, but they both function the same.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:20 pm

Mistered wrote:
I actually read on another forum, "I decided to sell my Big Boy because it was too pretty to own"
You can't be too rich or have guns that are too pretty. Life's too short to shoot ugly guns! :lol:
2 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:09 am

Mistered wrote:
I am considering divorcing my wife. She is just too pretty to stay married to. If she got a scar, it would be too unbearable to take ;)

OK, I have gotten the absurdity out of my system for today! My Big Boy has some scratches, I hope to take it hunting, and I will never sell (or divorce :D ).
0 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:54 am

GFK wrote: ... But, I am curious to see if there is a noticeable difference between the 1/12 twist rate of the Henry H009 and the 1/10 twist rate of the Marlin 336W. Or, is it more like the difference between a Chevy and a Ford? A matter of taste and style, but they both function the same.
I wouldn't give that small difference in twist rate a moment's notice on a cartridge like the 30-30. You''ll be shooting bullets almost exclusively in that 150-170 grains at only moderate velocities. There will be far more differences in accuracy between individual guns or load choices than anything caused by that small difference in twist rate.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:10 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
GFK wrote: ... But, I am curious to see if there is a noticeable difference between the 1/12 twist rate of the Henry H009 and the 1/10 twist rate of the Marlin 336W. Or, is it more like the difference between a Chevy and a Ford? A matter of taste and style, but they both function the same.
I wouldn't give that small difference in twist rate a moment's notice on a cartridge like the 30-30. You''ll be shooting bullets almost exclusively in that 150-170 grains at only moderate velocities. There will be far more differences in accuracy between individual guns or load choices than anything caused by that small difference in twist rate.
Thanks!
1 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:08 pm

GFK wrote:
North Country Gal wrote:
Thanks!
Marlin and Mossberg 30-30s are 10 twist. Winchester and Henry are 12.
Chevy or a Ford?
0 x
Pax at Justitia

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:13 pm

Ojaileveraction wrote:
GFK wrote:
North Country Gal wrote:
Thanks!
Marlin and Mossberg 30-30s are 10 twist. Winchester and Henry are 12.
Chevy or a Ford?
Well, Chevy seems to have style and Ford seems to have durability. But, both seems to get one from point A to point B reliably. I have owned both through out the years. If maintenance is performed as required, both will provide years of service. For me, it just comes down to style.

That is what I was wondering about the twist rate. How much difference does it make? Does one rate out perform the other? I suspect the manufactures choose the rate they did for a reason. Was it just to be different (a matter of style)? I figured one may provide a tighter group than the other. But at the range of the possible target (50yds-150yds), will the difference really matter? Dead is dead. Just a thought.
1 x