Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The Importance Of Protective Eyewear

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Re: The Importance Of Protective Eyewear

Post by ruhler » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:54 am

Glad your OK could have been a lot worse. Thanks for sharing the experience as a reminder of what can happen to anyone.

When I started to reload 9mm in my dillon 650 ive discovered several brass that cracked at the bottom of the case on 2 of 10 cartridges. I identified the problem and the brass was not whole lenght calibrated so the brasscase was wider halfway down of the case so when i used the crimptool the case was pressed down a little by the crimptool resulting in a a little crack in the case this was with Lee deluxe kit 4dies. Took a while to identify the problem for me, can only imagine what could have happen if I fired a round like that. A progressive reloadingpress is good but it makes it even more important to take the time and check the cartridges closely through the different stations and check every cartridge before adding them to the ammobox. I also check cartridges before loading them into the magazine aswell on the shooting range. Better safe than sorry.

Never had a incident with reloads, but factory ammo have been click, too hot loaded and the worst too low load. A friend of mine shot factoryloaded ammunition on a competition with a 44magnum S&W, stressed by the timelimit he didnt notice one round was a squibload that probably must have been stuck a little in the muzzle but the second round he fired it went BOOOM gunpowder residue allover the place the bullets never reached the target. He was alright no injuries but a pain from the recoil in his hand and he was really shaken up, the gun was later on checked by a gunsmith and it was nothing damaged, after that incident he never ever bought a factoryloaded round.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:33 am

Ruhler,

Your problem with cases is why I have a Dillon case gauge for every caliber I load. After every run, all the rounds are dropped in the case gauge before the go in the bins. Failures go in the trash. I don't try and recycle. My ammo trash is a Foldgers can with 3" of oil in the bottom. I sink the few rejected rounds I get these days in that. Kills the primers and powder, eventually. Lol.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:44 am

I use the Lee Carbide Four Die set for .38/.357, which includes their Factory Crimp Die.

The Full Length Resizing/Decapping Die squeezes the brass case back into SAAMI specs as it pushes out the primer. I always inspect the case after this process.

The Lee Factory Crimp Die performs the very same resizing function while crimping the bullet, eliminating the need for a case gauge. At this point, I inspect the case and crimp before boxing the cartridge. I've never had one fail to chamber in either my revolver or rifle.
Lee Precision wrote: Lee 38 Special/357 Magnum/357 MAX Carbide Factory Crimp Die sizes the cartridge while being crimped so every round will positively chamber freely with factory like dependability. https://leeprecision.com/carbide-factor ... 8-357.html
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:08 pm

I always wear eye AND ear protection.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:34 pm

Glad all is well. I recently joined a sporting club a few months ago. Part of the orientation was to wear hearing and eye protecting when on the range. I typically just wear my glasses. During the safety brief, it was pointed out that glasses do not provide protection on the sides. So, I purchased a pair of eye protection that did.

I am glad I purchased the eye protection. It was cheaper than buying glasses. This proved to be true when I failed to snug the butt in my shoulder during a bench rest shot. I have a new appreciation for eye relief now.
Last edited by GFK on Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:24 pm

Let's see, metal frame, fully supported chamber, eye protection. Gun survived the dreaded Kaboom. More important, your eyes did too.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya