Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Side Gate vs Tube Feed

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
deano5150
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Side Gate vs Tube Feed

Post by deano5150 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:45 pm

I only own Henry’s and love them. I think it would be cool if Henry could add a side gate and keep the same loading tube. You could safely load and unload with the standard tube and top off your rifle in the field with the loading gate. I like the loading tube system but it might be nice to not have to deal with that extra part while out in the field. Just a thought.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:49 pm

I think similar, but with 3. If I miss thrice, it wasn't meant to happen.
mrguvna wrote:I have all of them, magazine fed levers, tube fed and side gate. Makes no difference to me. I am not in a wartime situation where fast reloads is required.matter of fact I hunt with my marlin 1895 and only keep one in the chamber and one in the mag tube anyway. Figger if I miss twice time to head back to the cabin anyway.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:28 pm

but I’m always a bit worried about losing the feed rod in the bush,
Well, this is a real concern (on several levels...)
But with regard to rifles with load tubes it is a good idea to check it often - especially if carrying in the woods as loss is a possibility - don't ask me how I know....
1 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:24 am

One of the attractions for me with pistol cal levers is their versatility.
The lack of a loading gate detracts from the versatility for me. I regularly carry my levers around the farm usually with the mags nearly full of full power loads and will slip a reduced load in when a shot a small game presents.
Without a load gate I can single load directly into the chamber but need the mag empty to do so. When there is the chance I might bump into a mob of hogs, pack of dogs and only have a few seconds to get a shot or multiple away carrying empty isnt an option.
0 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:06 am

Mistered wrote:
but I’m always a bit worried about losing the feed rod in the bush,
Well, this is a real concern (on several levels...)
But with regard to rifles with load tubes it is a good idea to check it often - especially if carrying in the woods as loss is a possibility - don't ask me how I know....
At least you can still breach load if you lose the rod, and get on with your day (assuming you’re not trying to stop a charging grizzly). I may start wrapping a lap of electrical tape around the barrel and tube where the rod end is exposed when I’m in the real thick stuff.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:31 am

Surprising the attention, considering in 99.99 percent of the cases, it won't matter.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:47 am

I wouldn't be as concerned about it if the rifle were loaded and the tube locks up tightly in the pin recess on the end of the outer tube. Also I suspect if the tube were to come loose and was to fall out when loaded it would be hard to overlook with it and the ammo falling out.
I think a greater chance of loss is when unloaded and the tube is taken out for cleaning or unloading - which I THINK is how I lost the loading tube to my Marlin Golden 39 many years ago.
0 x

PatientWolf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by PatientWolf » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:08 am

Tube feed/gate feed...Ford/Chevy. It’s a matter of taste and people will always have a difference of opinion.

Interestingly, I do have a Rossi ‘92 in .454 Casull that offers both.
1 x

Ramjet
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Ramjet » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:58 pm

Yea I see allot people in happy but for me I Iike the Henry just the way they are in fact I made some speed loaders with simple poly tubing and a cap on each end. I use them at the range and keep a couple in the truck with my 357 mag Henry carbine.
1 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:10 pm

Tube feed

Side Gate

0 x