Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Side Gate vs Tube Feed

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Side Gate vs Tube Feed

Post by Team Roper » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:18 am

I'll be truthful. I have JM model Marlins in 30-30, 35 Remington and a 45-70 Guide Gun. I have one Henry, a Big Boy Steel in 44 magnum. I never gave any thought to which one is better, side gate or loading tube. Neither presents a problem to me. I did buy a new Remlin in 44 magnum first, before the Henry but that thing went back the day after I bought it because it would not feed properly. I took a loss on that thing and had my friend at the LGS order me a Henry BBS in 44 magnum. This thing is a shooter, which is important to me, because it gets used for hunting. I never load more then 5 rounds in the tube anyhow, never. At the bench, which is quite often, I only shoot 5 rounds for groups. Here in Ohio, you are, by law, only to have three rounds in the rifle for deer hunting. My only worry with the Henry tube magazine is that one day, the weak steel tube will split. I have heard this happening on the 45-70's and the 44 magnums. That's the only fault, I see happening, but it's a big one.
0 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:00 am

If it does happen it will be fixed for free and returned in a very short time. Some of the older ones have had issue with the tube. But I know of only 2 of the members here who have had that issue. I have Marlins and one Remlin also. In a 357. Never again and now there bankrupt and being sold. Couldnt be because there customer service was terrible.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:10 pm

I just looked at a new Henry in 45 Colt. Henry really beefed up that area surrounding the pin on the loading tube. I doubt there could be any problems associated with recoil now. Good job Henry!
0 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.

mrmag00
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by mrmag00 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:49 am

I have an old Winchester ( handed down from my grandfather) in 30-30 that is a pain to load thru the side gate. Tube loading is just easier for me and my big hands.
Never really gave much thought to the strength issue with a side gate.
1 x
Golden Boy
Big Boy Classic 357/38