Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Side Gate vs Tube Feed

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Side Gate vs Tube Feed

Post by Mags » Fri May 17, 2019 9:49 pm

Not real fond of self inflicted character. Genuine character arrives from external circumstances with a story or tall tale to go with it.
BigAl52 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:28 pm
Thats character there Mags. No extra charge for making yours unique to you.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Sat May 18, 2019 5:13 am

I have to agree with you Mags. That’s not the kind of “character” I’d like. I wonder if you could polish the marks out?
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat May 18, 2019 8:02 am

Mags wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:49 pm
Not real fond of self inflicted character. Genuine character arrives from external circumstances with a story or tall tale to go with it.
BigAl52 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:28 pm
Thats character there Mags. No extra charge for making yours unique to you.

Agreed, not a fan as well.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat May 18, 2019 9:40 am

My 1860 has lots of character now. Can't avoid. In and out of the scabbard, back and forth to the range, in the back floor of the truck. I keep it in a gunsock inside the buckskin cover but wear and tear happens. I bought it to use it. Don't plan on parting with it so who cares. It's clean and well maintained and shoots well. All good.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat May 18, 2019 11:33 am

Lots of external circumstances in all that handling and mini-story to describe it. :P
RanchRoper wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:40 am
My 1860 has lots of character now. Can't avoid. In and out of the scabbard, back and forth to the range, in the back floor of the truck. I keep it in a gunsock inside the buckskin cover but wear and tear happens. I bought it to use it. Don't plan on parting with it so who cares. It's clean and well maintained and shoots well. All good.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:17 pm

Bringing this back up to the top again as I just got back from a hunting trip for Deer and Elk. Unsuccessful on both Deer and Elk but thats another story. I used the Savage in the Elk hunt which is a 338 Winchester mag caliber. For the Deer hunt I chose the Marlin 336 Cowboy in 38-55. I had 1 reason for choosing that gun over say the Henry in 38-55. My wife gave me the gun for my birthday about 18 years ago and she made a comment about its use. After using this gun which I really like I had a real hang up with not being able to remove the tube to unload the gun. Sure wish it would of had the options of the new Henry and had a tube I could take out and dump out the other 7 rounds and then clear the chamber even if I had to hold the mag tub between my legs while I emptied the tube.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:05 pm

sorry to hear you had to bring all of your bullets back ... do hope you had a great time
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:52 am

Yes, I agree that tube unloading is nice. I have played with unloading my Marlin using the load gate. I was able to do it. If the gate was stiffer though, it would probably more of a challenge. I am planning on getting out in the woods next month. I am looking forward to it!
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:55 am

I have played with unloading my Marlin using the load gate.
Why not just cycle the rounds out like lever owners have been doing since about 1866?
I would think if it had ever been an issue Winchester or Marlin would have created a removable load tube system instead of closed but apparently it has never been a problem.

Even while removable tube feed has existed (long before Henry) typically in .22 rifles I, as well as the multitudes of other long term lever gun owners, still never considered cycling the rounds out of out centerfire rifles to be a problem.
Part of this is probably due to the fact .22s typically get 'emptied' from shooting whereas centerfires typically do not always get shot 'empty'.

It has only been more less recently the issue of unloading a closed tube lever action has become a topic - and this has been with the proliferation of the Henry and it's removable tube load system

My point to this is the removable tube on the new side loaders is not necessarily a bad thing but at the same time is does not need to be a condemnation of closed tube guns that have been around for 150+ years now.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:19 pm

Mistered wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:55 am
I have played with unloading my Marlin using the load gate.
It has only been more less recently the issue of unloading a closed tube lever action has become a topic - and this has been with the proliferation of the Henry and it's removable tube load system

My point to this is the removable tube on the new side loaders is not necessarily a bad thing but at the same time is does not need to be a condemnation of closed tube guns that have been around for 150+ years now.
I agree. I think I tried unload via the load gate, because I did not feel like playing with dirty ammo. I forgot why I wanted to unload that way anyway. I typically unload through the barrel. A rain storm or something must been on the way. As I recall, the sky grew dark. But, it was a opportunity for me to try something new. Worst case scenario, it would not work. And, I would have to play with dirty ammo.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).