Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Side Gate vs Tube Feed

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Side Gate vs Tube Feed

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:35 pm

Just thought I would air out a little frustration with other forums I visit. I dont see it here because were all Henry lovers. But does it get to you with the constant gripping about the lack of a side gate on a Henry. Im sure many of you own both as I do but I dont let the fact that my Henrys dont have a side gate on them judge whether there a legitimate levergun or not. After all the original was a tube feed. Get over it. Enjoy the gun it has a lever on it, works just like those official leverguns do with the side gates. Al
Last edited by BigAl52 on Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Side Gate vs Tube Feed

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:16 pm

With you all the way. Both systems have been used on various lever guns since the beginning and I can see advantages for both. When a side gate is working nice and slick, it's great, but have had my share that were nasty finger pinchers, too. Those can be slow and awkward to load. For sure, my husband with his big hands sometimes struggles with them. He'd get along great with a top loader in a centerfire. He loves them in a 22 LR. No cuts in the side of the receiver not a bad idea either for better strength and rigidity., too. Easier to unload, too. Love the simplicity of them.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:33 pm

we own lever action that are tube fed, side gate fed, and clip fed .... the all have advantages, they all have disadvantages .... I like and use them all .... the one thing I wish Henry had is a button or slide safety .... not having one has never been a problem with our Winchester, BLR or Henry levers but I like the thought of being able to put the safety on without having to pull the trigger in the process ...
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:57 pm

Yeah, a lot of Marlin folks slam the button safety on later vintage Marlins, but some folks do like them when unloading their guns as they work the action to shuck ammo. With the safety on, no worries about an AD as they work the action. Never been an issue for me, one way or the other. For sure, that button safety has never stopped me from buying a Marlin when I found one I otherwise liked.
1 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:24 am

I think for me the biggest gripe is the myth that you have to put your hand in front of the muzzle to tube load a Henry.

Just plain incorrect. I never have my hand in front. Just use the thumb and index finger with the palm over the tube not the muzzle.

The whole loading gate thing is a non issue for me. I like the tube fed.
4 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:06 am

It's not an issue for me either. I've had gate loaders and tube feeds. It doesn't matter to me how the rounds go in - it's how they come out the business end that puts a smile on my face.

As has been said, there are pro's and con's for both systems. I've had Rossi's and Marlin's, and enjoyed them both, but now I've experienced a Henry, I wouldn't swap it for anything. ;)
3 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:55 am

It is no secret that I am a Marlin lever fan. I hear the Marlin guys and fans of other brands of lever rifles cut up the Henry for tube loading on their center fires. I honestly believe their problem is seeing all that brass showing through the loading port on especially the bigger cartridge rifles. If the tube was blued they probably wouldn't pay as much attention to it. The Marlin guys tend to for get that one of the rifles they all would love to have from the Marlin line up is the 32 H&R magnum. Guess what? Tube loaded! Another thing with gate load other than pinching fingers loading it is if the loading gate screw gets loose undetected they tend to jam when cycling. Easy fix unless you are in the woods with no tools. The Henry would be much better to unload after your hunt by pulling out the tube and dumping the loaded rounds out and put the tube back in and cycle the round from the chamber and give it a few more cycles to make sure none hung up in the tube and your done. I can unload my 444 Marlin by using a loaded round and pushing in the loading gate and it works most of the time but other calibers not so much. I guess I am not a "Marlin snob" and like the Henry's just fine.
2 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:37 am

The tube reload isn't an issue for me, and if 10 rounds won't solve the problem, I'm in serious trouble.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:46 am

I have never owned a Winchester or a Marlin lever rifle but did have a Braztech .357 with the loading gate. I normally used a round to feed the other rounds into the tube so I didn't get bit. I sold it after I got my BBS .357 and have not regretted it. I prefer the Henry loading tube.
0 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:55 am

I prefer the lack of a loading gate. One less thing to worry about. I have had a malfunction with a Marlin at a range that totally shut the gun down. As I was loading it, one of the rounds came out of the tube and lodged behind the loading gate. Easy fix with a Henry by just dumping all of the rounds out of the tube. With the Marlin, I either had to take the cap off the end of the tube or try to somehow open the action far enough to remove the lever and the bolt. I was able to do the latter, but it took a bit of force. There might have been other ways to clear it easier, but none that I or others at the range could figure out.

I don't own any Marlins anymore and any lever gun I buy in the future will be a Henry. I like their simplicity and reliability. Besides, their customer service is also the best. I was having a conversation with a friend at work about companies moving their factories or offices overseas (as ours has done). I compared them to Henry Repeating Arms and gave examples of how their prices are the best (I saw Marlins priced at $200 more recently) yet their quality is probably the best, and their customer service is without a doubt the best. I guess you can call me a Henry snob even if I only own one at the moment ;)
8 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All