Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

How Many ?

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: How Many ?

Post by Mr. Neutron » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:06 pm

New one for me today! I pulled the trigger on a brass-framed octagonal-barreled .30-30.

NEW TOTAL 1755

IMG_E0720.JPG

IMG_E0719.JPG

It's not typical "new gun" perfect. There's a very slight scuff/shallow scratch on the left side of the foregrip. I saw that while I was looking at it, and the salesman pointed it out also. But I told him that I'll probably do worse that that on my first hunt with it next year, so no worries on my part. ;) I buy 'em to carry, hunt with, and shoot...... One "sorta weird" thing is that there's no checkering at all on the gun? :?

Any of the models I'm interested in seemed hard to find in my little local area. Took a bit of calling and looking around to find much of anything I liked locally. I'd love to have a color case-hardened gun in my fleet, but those seem as rare as good sense in politicians (hope that's okay to say..... :roll: ). :D

Due to Oregon's measure 114's ramifications, there's sometimes been "waiting periods" due to the stackup of applications/background checks to buy a gun here, sometimes. I was initially told I was number 11,110, and to come back next Thursday to get my rifle. No problem, so I left and stopped at a Home Depot on my way home. While I was there, I got a phone call saying my background check had already gone through, and I could come get my gun! The day just got a little better, I thought to myself.

Glad it worked out to get the rifle today. It saved me a 20+ mile trip back to the shop, plus I just realized next Thursday is the day I go in for a consultation visit to an opthamologist about getting my cataract(s?) taken care of. I really didn't want to miss that appointment. I've pretty much put my rifle shooting "on hold" until I can get my eyes sorted. I think, besides myself having a curmmy trigger finger due to arthritis, that my eyes are partially responsible for my less that stellar groups at 100 yds.. I badly want to hunt with iron sights as long as I can. I'm anxious to shoot this rifle, and may do so at, say, 25-50 yds., but won't do anything at 100 until after the eyes are fixed. Meanwhile, I can practice my offhand shooting with my BB gun...... :D

What's the total up to now???? :?:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mr. Neutron on Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:01 pm

Very nice! Congratulations and good luck getting your eyes up to the challenge. 🙂
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:50 pm

Thanks, Mark!
Gonna need some luck most likely……. 🤓
2 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:17 pm

Mr. Neutron wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:06 pm
New one for me today! I pulled the trigger on a brass-framed octagonal-barreled .30-30.

NEW TOTAL 1755

... buy 'em to carry, hunt with, and shoot......
Congrats ✨✨✨. You're gonna want to put a sling on it. First time out hunting with mine it got real heavy fast.
https://www.tgrenterprises.com/product/ ... ing-henry/
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:03 am

Congrats Jimmie on the new Henry and successfully navigating the west coast gun restrictions. Unfortunately here in Washington we’re right there with you. :(

My next Henry will be a steel 30-30 and I haven’t seen one around here for a couple of years but I haven’t looked too hard. Hope to add one to this count one of these days.
2 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:08 am

Thanks for that link to the sling, Mags! Gonna look into that one! And you’re absolutely right; it’s a noticeable bit heavier than my round barreled H009G.

Yeah, Hatchdog. I feel for y'all up there as well as folk in other states where it's tough to simply buy a new hunting rifle or any type of firearm. It kinda sucks being one of the states folks on Gun Broker won't sell to simply because of living in Oregon......... :cry:
0 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Thu May 18, 2023 11:07 pm

Add one more to the total. I stumbled into my local gun shop and there it was....a Henry Homesteader. The wood sold the gun! Trigger seems tolerable. Plus with accumulated points and a store coupon the price was $734 which was hard to pass up. I didn't need this gun....wifey told me so! :lol:

Pics and range report hopefully tomorrow.

NEW TOTAL 1756
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri May 19, 2023 12:29 am

5shot wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 11:07 pm
Add one more to the total. I stumbled into my local gun shop and there it was....a Henry Homesteader. The wood sold the gun! Trigger seems tolerable. Plus with accumulated points and a store coupon the price was $734 which was hard to pass up. I didn't need this gun....wifey told me so! :lol:

Pics and range report hopefully tomorrow.
It was easier asking for forgiveness though wasn’t it
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Fri May 19, 2023 10:17 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 12:29 am
Very true. The lady mistakenly thought all bases were already covered in the gun safe. :lol:
2 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Fri May 19, 2023 10:30 pm

5shot wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:17 pm
BigAl52 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 12:29 am
Very true. The lady mistakenly thought all bases were already covered in the gun safe. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Congrats there 5shot.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012