Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

H009g chronically shooting high

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Cleveraction
Wrangler
United States of America

H009g chronically shooting high

Post by Cleveraction » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:55 pm

Anyone else have issues with this? With Buckhorns at max adjust shooting ~8" high at 100. Henry said mail it in... I just went with the Leupold 2-8 instead; made it a 2"-3" gun and I killed a lot of hogs and deer. Had a trigger done to get it to 4 lbs. Decided to go back to iron sights; installed skinner express; with the factory blade in front at .50" around 6" high at 25 yards. Got the .75 blade from skinner and am now 3.5 inches high at 25 (grouping perfectly). I was hoping I would be low and shave the front, but the rear is at the lowest setting and this is the tallest blade they make. While not matching ballistically, it appears I am about 4" high at 100 which is a 200 yard zero.

Does anyone make a 1" blade for the front? I think I am going to have to cave and mail it in to Henry; but if I do that will they reverse my trigger job (and charge me parts and labor?!?).

Thanks much, tired of feeling frustrated with this gun and have probably spent more on ammo futzing with it than I spend on the gun itself. I can go back to the Leupold, but then bought the Skinner for nothing... feeling that maybe I should just sell it and by a JM stamped or try one of the new ones.
1 x
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land.
~Aldo Leopold

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: H009g chronically shooting high

Post by GFK » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:07 pm

When I was shooting high with my H009, I contacted Henry. I was advised of an adjustable insert, in the rear sight. After adjustment the insert, POI was much closer to POA at 50 yards. Since then, I have moved to a peep sight though, tighter grouping.
2 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:20 pm

A Skinner barrel mount peep will sit quite a bit lower than any of the Skinner receiver peeps, so you might keep that in mind as a possible solution. I prefer a receiver mounted peep, but have used the barrel mount on a lot of guns and have never had to change out the factory front sight to a taller one. Good chance it would work with that .75"
3 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:55 pm

Cleveraction wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:55 pm
Anyone else have issues with this? With Buckhorns at max adjust shooting ~8" high at 100. Henry said mail it in... I just went with the Leupold 2-8 instead; made it a 2"-3" gun and I killed a lot of hogs and deer. Had a trigger done to get it to 4 lbs. Decided to go back to iron sights; installed skinner express; with the factory blade in front at .50" around 6" high at 25 yards. Got the .75 blade from skinner and am now 3.5 inches high at 25 (grouping perfectly). I was hoping I would be low and shave the front, but the rear is at the lowest setting and this is the tallest blade they make. While not matching ballistically, it appears I am about 4" high at 100 which is a 200 yard zero.

Does anyone make a 1" blade for the front? I think I am going to have to cave and mail it in to Henry; but if I do that will they reverse my trigger job (and charge me parts and labor?!?).

Thanks much, tired of feeling frustrated with this gun and have probably spent more on ammo futzing with it than I spend on the gun itself. I can go back to the Leupold, but then bought the Skinner for nothing... feeling that maybe I should just sell it and by a JM stamped or try one of the new ones.
How is Henry going to know you had a trigger job unless you already told them. Like one mentioned that white diamond insert does move up and down. Did you adjust that at all?
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:34 pm

I went with a receiver type:

Henry+Peep+Blank-1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:49 pm

My H009G shot ridiculously high at all yardages. My H009BG (brass frame) also shot high as received, but a few inches closer to point of aim, and much more accurately.

While I knew the barrel mounted peep would shoot a tad lower than a receiver mounted peep, I still chose the receiver mount version, due to liking having the aperture closer to my eye. Just personal preference there. I have the Alaskan model receiver rear peep on each of my .30-30s. But that made me have to go on a bit of a "quest", for each rifle, to bring the point of impact down.

On the H009G, I had to resort to installing a barrel mounted ramp (a Williams ramp at around .375" tall) with a 3/8" dovetail, and THEN installed a fairly high brass Patridge front sight from Skinner to hit point of aim at 100 yds.. Both rifles are put away in the safe, and I'm lazy from moving my mother inlaw, so I'm gonna guess that sight is around .450" tall. This whole tall setup (ramp and sight) was needed to bring the POI down a lot for that steel framed rifle.

On the brass framed .30-30, I had to resort to an even taller brass Patridge front for that one (around .570"-.600" or so I'm guessing; it looks like a shark fin sticking up from the end of the barrel), but no ramp.

As a side note, the brass framed gun has always been much more accurate than the steel framed one. I have a Hornady headspace Comparator, which allows me to measure from the case head to a shoulder datum point. With that tool I can show fired factory cases have stretched much more than than what happens in the brass framed gun; typically around .015" more, with the H009G steel version varying a lot. This seems to be the biggest major difference I can find between the 2 rifles. Both have a Ranger Point Precision sear that nets a trigger pull right at 3 lbs. on each trigger, and essentially the same sight setup. I'm guessin' something was machined wonky with the steel framer's barrel (the chamber reaming).
1 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:36 pm

Cleveraction wrote:
Anyone else have issues with this? ...
I'm no help to you on this one. Sorry. The H009B I have doesn't do what yours does.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Cleveraction
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Cleveraction » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:28 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:55 pm
Cleveraction wrote:

How is Henry going to know you had a trigger job unless you already told them. Like one mentioned that white diamond insert does move up and down. Did you adjust that at all?
If they bother to put a trigger scale on it and notice the difference from the factory setting? I don't know if they do this as a matter of course, but would think think it's not necessary given the nature of the issue. Yes, I tried all possible adjustments with the diamond before moving to the Skinner (which feels superior all the way around).
0 x
~Aldo Leopold

Cleveraction
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Cleveraction » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:35 am

Mr. Neutron wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:49 pm
My H009G shot ridiculously high at all yardages. My H009BG (brass frame) also shot high as received, but a few inches closer to point of aim, and much more accurately.

While I knew the barrel mounted peep would shoot a tad lower than a receiver mounted peep, I still chose the receiver mount version, due to liking having the aperture closer to my eye. Just personal preference there. I have the Alaskan model receiver rear peep on each of my .30-30s. But that made me have to go on a bit of a "quest", for each rifle, to bring the point of impact down.

On the H009G, I had to resort to installing a barrel mounted ramp (a Williams ramp at around .375" tall) with a 3/8" dovetail, and THEN installed a fairly high brass Patridge front sight from Skinner to hit point of aim at 100 yds.. Both rifles are put away in the safe, and I'm lazy from moving my mother inlaw, so I'm gonna guess that sight is around .450" tall. This whole tall setup (ramp and sight) was needed to bring the POI down a lot for that steel framed rifle.

On the brass framed .30-30, I had to resort to an even taller brass Patridge front for that one (around .570"-.600" or so I'm guessing; it looks like a shark fin sticking up from the end of the barrel), but no ramp.

As a side note, the brass framed gun has always been much more accurate than the steel framed one. I have a Hornady headspace Comparator, which allows me to measure from the case head to a shoulder datum point. With that tool I can show fired factory cases have stretched much more than than what happens in the brass framed gun; typically around .015" more, with the H009G steel version varying a lot. This seems to be the biggest major difference I can find between the 2 rifles. Both have a Ranger Point Precision sear that nets a trigger pull right at 3 lbs. on each trigger, and essentially the same sight setup. I'm guessin' something was machined wonky with the steel framer's barrel (the chamber reaming).
Thank you for the detailed response, I appreciate it. I, too, chose the receiver mount version. I can consider the Williams, but that means I just bought the Skinner for nothing. The current "shark fin" I have is the full monty brass blade standing tall at .75 and at 3.5" high at 25 yards I just can't live with it. The rifle is grouping there (5 shots around a half dollar) but being so high at 100 there is a fair amount of eye guesswork involved and I use this gun to hunt.
0 x
~Aldo Leopold

Cleveraction
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Cleveraction » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:36 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:20 pm
A Skinner barrel mount peep will sit quite a bit lower than any of the Skinner receiver peeps, so you might keep that in mind as a possible solution. I prefer a receiver mounted peep, but have used the barrel mount on a lot of guns and have never had to change out the factory front sight to a taller one. Good chance it would work with that .75"
Thank you; with the .75" unfiled I am shooting tight groups at 25 yards... 3.5" high.
0 x
~Aldo Leopold