Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry Big Boy - Dumb Question

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Henry Big Boy - Dumb Question

Post by Steve51 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:54 am

I have never pinched my finger or drew blood using Henry's loading tube feature or loading a single round in the breech. I have drew blood more than once & pinched my finger many times using a loading gate. I only have one Henry rifle with the loading gate. I use it occasionally but most of the time, I still prefer loading through the tube.
1 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H001TLB, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:45 am

I've been shooting leverguns since I was a young teenager, I can only remember a few times that I've actually had my finger pinched with the loading gate. Hell until henry came along the only way to load them were through the loading gate.
Guess most here never owned a Marlin or a Winchester, you know a"real" traditional Lever gun.
To each his own.
Hey Mark, I lied to you yesterday :o I forgot about the old 1892 Marlin 32 colt made back in 1899.
It is a tube loader. :lol:

RP
2 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:08 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:54 pm
The side gate or loading gate, has been around since 1873. That's 150+ yrs.
Must be something to it. :D
I prefer the loading gate to the tube feed myself.
Out of the 2 dozen lever guns that I own, only the 3 Henry's have that pain in the A$$ tube feed.
If Henry had of added the loading gate 10 years earlier I wouldn't have but the one tube fed lever gun, the H001.

RP
I agree. Actually the only Tube Feed I have is the H001.
Last edited by Cowboy Gun Fan on Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
NRA Member

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:16 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:02 pm
If you're going to do that, be very very careful lowering the hammer with one in the chamber. You don't want to put a hole in something accidentally.
I just had to do that the other day. Had one ready to shoot and decided not to. But I wanted to keep the rifle loaded for now. I carefully pulled a little on the trigger while carefully releasing the hammer back down. BUT, I made sure I did it with the gun facing at a safe place just to be absolutely sure.
1 x
NRA Member

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:42 pm

Cowboy Gun Fan wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:16 pm
GunnyGene wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:02 pm
If you're going to do that, be very very careful lowering the hammer with one in the chamber. You don't want to put a hole in something accidentally.
I just had to do that the other day. Had one ready to shoot and decided not to. But I wanted to keep the rifle loaded for now. I carefully pulled a little on the trigger while carefully releasing the hammer back down. BUT, I made sure I did it with the gun facing at a safe place just to be absolutely sure.
I've done that fairly often. Usually I'll put a piece of thin leather or something in the way of the hammer to keep it from striking the firing pin if my thumb slips.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:42 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:54 pm

WHY??

The side gate or loading gate, has been around since 1873. That's 150+ yrs.
Must be something to it. :D
I prefer the loading gate to the tube feed myself.
Out of the 2 dozen lever guns that I own, only the 3 Henry's have that pain in the A$$ tube feed.
If Henry had of added the loading gate 10 years earlier I wouldn't have but the one tube fed lever gun, the H001.

RP
I suppose one could reply that the tube loading lever rifle has been around since 1860. That's 163+ years.

There must be something to it.
4 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Bill.68
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bill.68 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:47 am

For the life of me I just dont get this rabid averdion to loading a levergun through the tube. So many people say its "such a pain in the a$$", really? How? The only situation where I see the side loading gate having any real advantage is if you were having to reload multiple times, under pressure, on the mo e or behind cover. Doing alot of fighting with our lever guns are we?
Personally I dont have any issue at all loading my henry through that horrible tybe. Turn it, slide it out, load and replace. Id say I can load through it faster than I can my other through the side gate, and its easier. Sure topping off your payload is much easier but again, I dont see very many people at all needing to shoot, move and reload with a levergun.
Im not against the loading gate at all, I have some too but the hyperbole surrounding the difficulty and inconvenience of the tube guns is just that, hyperbole.
1 x
Please always remember to never forget, No matter where you go, there you are.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:33 pm

Not difficult, but tube loading can be inconvenient. Most of my range shooting is done at undeveloped ranges. There are no benches, rests or props of any kind. Tube loading is done balancing the rifle with one hand, at just the right angle, while feeding the tube with the other hand. This is where sidegate loading has the convenience advantage over tube loading.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:19 pm

Bill.68 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:47 am
For the life of me I just dont get this rabid averdion to loading a levergun through the tube. So many people say its "such a pain in the a$$", really? How? The only situation where I see the side loading gate having any real advantage is if you were having to reload multiple times, under pressure, on the mo e or behind cover. Doing alot of fighting with our lever guns are we?
Personally I dont have any issue at all loading my henry through that horrible tybe. Turn it, slide it out, load and replace. Id say I can load through it faster than I can my other through the side gate, and its easier. Sure topping off your payload is much easier but again, I dont see very many people at all needing to shoot, move and reload with a levergun.
Im not against the loading gate at all, I have some too but the hyperbole surrounding the difficulty and inconvenience of the tube guns is just that, hyperbole.
Could not agree with you more.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:30 pm

Bill.68 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:47 am
The loading part is used as an excuse. What they are really having issues with is authenticity. Leverguns need a sidegate to be a real authentic levergun. What they dont realize is the tube feed has been around for a long time. I might be mistaken but Im not remembering a 22LR levergun with a sidegate.
3 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55