here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Henry Big Boy - Dumb Question

Post by Mags » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:59 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:30 pm
The loading part is used as an excuse. What they are really having issues with is authenticity. Leverguns need a sidegate to be a real authentic levergun. What they dont realize is the tube feed has been around for a long time. I might be mistaken but Im not remembering a 22LR levergun with a sidegate.
It's a lot easier to tube load a 5lb 22LR rifle, user free standing than tube loading a 12lb 30-30 with scope.
Annie Oakley used an Lewis L. Hepburn-designed Marlin 1891 .22LR sidegate.

Pictures of a 22LR sidegate.
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =100966678
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:21 pm

Mags wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:59 pm
BigAl52 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:30 pm
The loading part is used as an excuse. What they are really having issues with is authenticity. Leverguns need a sidegate to be a real authentic levergun. What they dont realize is the tube feed has been around for a long time. I might be mistaken but Im not remembering a 22LR levergun with a sidegate.
It's a lot easier to tube load a 5lb 22LR rifle, user free standing than tube loading a 12lb 30-30 with scope.
Annie Oakley used an Lewis L. Hepburn-designed Marlin 1891 .22LR sidegate.

Pictures of a 22LR sidegate.
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =100966678
Ease of loading though isnt what I was getting at. I agree loading a 22 tube is alot easier thats a given. I used the 22 as an example for the tube feed being around for a while.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Bill.68
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bill.68 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:21 pm

I never fully remove the tube. I pull it far enough to clear the cartridge window, pull rounds from my coat pocket or belt pouch, drop them in and close the tube and go to work.
Dont get me wrong, I fault no man for his preferences or choices, I just tire of hearing how much better a side loader is, iys just different. I can load 10 rounds in mine pretty quick. Like everything else it just takes practice and muscle memory.
Again, I own both and in probably 80% of the time I find the tube just as practical as the gate. To reiterate, I van see a few situations where the gate would be the only way to go but I definitely have other platforms much better suited but if I were caught unawares with only my tube fed Henry my tactics would shift to making maximum use of cover and picking my shots carefully and selectively. At those times it sure would be nice to have a loading gate to top up with, otherwise....
1 x
Please always remember to never forget, No matter where you go, there you are.

JVogler
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JVogler » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:15 pm

Unless the side gate Big Boy steel in 357magnum that I've tried several times lightens up real quick by the next use my tube feed Big Boy Brass will still be a quicker reload than the side gate steel.
1 x