Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Firearm partners

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Firearm partners

Post by PT7 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:21 am

RetiredSeabee made a comment in CT_Shooter's 9/16 Range Report, "SmokeWagon and Heritage Roughrider," which is prompting the subject for this thread. This is his "big brother" comment:
RetiredSeabee wrote:Glad you got in some gunpowder therapy. I still need a big brother for my .22 single action.
And in some other threads, Henry folk have briefly shared pictures and comments about their "guns that go well together."

My basic question is, What is your thinking behind a pairing of firearms?

I've read different factors, which have been stated in other threads; e.g. same caliber, action type, maybe use of firearm, history behind the guns, plain 'ole reason that "it looks great," and so on. I'm curious as to what Henry folk "plan" when they, as RSb said, "need to or get a big brother for my .22 single action." TIA for any comments.
1 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Firearm partners

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:02 am

PT7 wrote: What is your thinking behind a pairing of firearms?
Good question. I paired both of my Henrys with a single-action revolver of the same caliber (.22LR and .357 magnum). I wanted to use the same ammo in each of my rifles and revolvers to keep things simple, so I never considered owning another caliber. I also selected single-action revolvers in order to maintain the spirit of the old west that Henry lever-action rifles have. I never bought holsters or gun belts for them and I don't ever intend to participate in Cowboy Action Shooting, but I do enjoy alternating between my same caliber rifles and revolvers while shooting at the range.
4 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:09 am

in the mid '60's I was a member of a bear hunting club in Western NC .... our hunting land was located in the thick forest on the northern slope of Mt Mitchell .... shooting distances were universally short, most of the time 30 yards or less .... most of the members carried 30-30 Winchesters, 35 Marlins, 12 ga shotguns, with a few '06's thrown in .... liking the concept of having a pistol and rifle that could shoot the same ammo, for a time, I carried a Ruger Blackhawk 44 Mag (did take both bear and boar with it) and a companion Ruger 44 Mag Carbine ..... the more I used the Blackhawk, the less I like it .... with a one hand hold, its western style grip allowed it to roll in my hand and caused me to have to reposition my hand between shots .... for me, selling it was a good move but letting the Carbine go was my worst mistake in selling a gun .... moving to a Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag has worked well for decades but, until purchasing a Henry BBS 44 Mag, I never found another 44 Mag rife that I like .... the reality is, at my age, the Henry will never spend anywhere close to the hours in the woods working for a living ;) that my Carbine registered .... I still like the one ammo concept and am delighted with my Redhawk/Henry combo
3 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:08 pm

I'm a bit of a stickler for things historically accurate and period correct. That being said, people may ask why I'm not shooting a Uberti 1866 or 1873 rifle replica. However, even though my Henry Big Boy in 45 Colt is not a copy of an old west rifle, and it's not period correct to the 1800's; it FEELS and LOOKS like it is and if cowboys of the day had the option, I think it would have been a popular choice. It handles great, and more importantly shoots great. I went with a period correct revolver when I ordered it, the Cimarron/Uberti Colt copy of the 1860 Army cartridge transition with the barrel stamped 1871. So I'm pretty darn happy with that match up, and like the old west days, I can carry 1 cartridge size.
5 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:01 pm

The idea of pairing firearms is very interesting to me as well in order to keep some consistency in my ammo supply. Right now, I only own firearms that shoot .22lr, .38/.357, 9mm, and .223. This makes stocking up on ammo more affordable as bulk purchases are possible for each caliber. I even sold off a 10mm and a 45acp for this reason. Just didn't make sense to have so many calibers.

This doesn't mean I won't add another caliber at some point (I've been drooling over the Henry 45-70 lineup for months).

In the tactical world it takes on a different meaning as some rifles and handguns can share not just calibers but magazines (especially with 9/40/45).

As an example, here is a youtube video I watched a while ago showing some options: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO1H9oKgjL4
1 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:50 pm

If HRA ever offered the H011 1860 original in other calibers I'm sure there'd be a few owners on here. I'd have one in 45 Colt in a heartbeat. But 44-40 ammo is not easy to find around here and right now I just don't have time to get into reloading.
I'll keep hoping but one day I might just have to own a Cimarron 1860.

C'mon Henry...vary the calibers!!
1 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

seak89
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by seak89 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:30 pm

Where I live the 44mag is always on my hip no matter what rifle I'm carrying.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:15 pm

JCN wrote:This doesn't mean I won't add another caliber at some point (I've been drooling over the Henry 45-70 lineup for months).
well understood .... back in the '60's we settled on 30 caliber for our centerfire rifles rifles .... a major factor in that decision involved reloading components .... collectively we have 3 - 308's, 3 - 30-06's, 1 - 30-30, 1 - 300 WBY .... a while back one of our sons bought a 223, I bought a 44 Mag and a 45-70 .... the 45-70 has quickly become one of my favorites ... when you get one, I'd bet you will be delighted with it
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:28 pm

seak89 wrote:Where I live the 44mag is always on my hip no matter what rifle I'm carrying.

I wish we could carry a sidearm here....but nope.
1 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:08 am

All interesting and useful comments given --- thanks, Henry Folk.

As I re-read them tonight, it appears that caliber match weaves in/out of most answers. Makes a lot of sense. What caught me by surprise was JCN's noting that a rifle and a handgun can not only share the same calibers, but the same magazine. That was cool to learn.

I'd like to add my own brief thoughts. Caliber match is a primary focus for me, too. I have my Henry .22LR Small Game Carbine, and a Ruger SP101 in .357 Magnum/.38 Special. This last week, I ordered a handgun from my LGS, which will match both of these. It's the Bond Arms Snake Slayer IV (model BASSIV), a 2-shot derringer in an over/under configuration.

This stainless steel derringer comes with a 4.25” barrel, and will be in .357 Magnum/.38 Special calibers to match my SP101.
Since BA also makes a large variety of interchangeable barrels, which fit all their derringers, I ordered a 3.5" barrel in .22LR caliber. This will match my Henry SGC caliber. I guess I could "stretch the match" a shade by noting that I'll have a SA handgun to shoot when I take it out with my SGC. ;) Granted, it’s not the typical/traditional cowboy-action handgun, but it is very much fun to shoot!

Two and one-half years ago I sold my first BA derringer, the smaller Snake Slayer model with a 3.5" barrel. It was also in .357 Magnum caliber. I've been wanting to replace that derringer with another, and finally was able to get this new one. Right now I'm getting a small taste of the waiting for it to get in, just like RR looking over yonder hills for the arrival of his revolver! :lol:

Anyway, appreciate your good comments...thanks again.
Have a great day!
2 x

~Пока~