Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Disassembly and cleaning my new BBX

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
deerwdr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Disassembly and cleaning my new BBX

Post by deerwdr » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:51 am

I noticed that the owners manual seemed pretty limited and did not include disassembly instructions. Then I found a disassembly video on the Henry site. I took my Marlin 30 30 apart a few times to thoroughly clean it, and the instructions in the manual were fine to follow. Looking at the Henry disassembly video, my reaction was OMG. No wonder they do not try to show disassembly in the manual! I ordered those pull through cables from the Henry site, and I’ll use those breech to muzzle so I don’t need to take this thing apart often. Is there a reassembly video? Without that I’d never attempt this tear down. Might be worth paying a Henry-experienced gunsmith every few years to clean this thing. As long as I keep the cleaning fluids and crud from falling into the action I recon it’ll be fine for a few years. Do any of you use sprays to de foul the mechanism without tearing it down?
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Disassembly and cleaning my new BBX

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:34 am

There's a sequence of 6 or7 videos covering the stages of disassembly, cleaning, reassembly, etc. Link & Screen shot of the maint. page for your rifle. Henry has not produced separate videos for the SideGate/X models yet, but the differences in maint., etc. are minor, and shouldn't present a problem for you.

https://www.henryusa.com/own-a-henry/he ... -boy-h006/

Last edited by GunnyGene on Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:43 am

Hi Deerwdr, and welcome. Typically, I just take the lever out, and remove the bolt and ejector spring. Then, I clean barrel from the chamber. I do spray the chamber and trigger assembly with some type of all-n-one CLP. Next, I take a swab and wipe it out. I do the same thing for the bolt and ejector spring. On occasions, I remove the butt stock and spray some CLP in the trigger and hammer areas. I general follow the process that is outlined in my Marlin manual, which my Henry is very similar. Since you have followed the process for your Marlin, you should not have an issue.

The trigger assembly should not have to be removed, unless the rifle is dropped in some water or mud or something. Then, a more detail cleaning is probably required. As a note, use gunsmith screwdrivers. This will help from damaging the finish and screws.

Hope you enjoy your new Henry. Happy shooting!
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

deerwdr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by deerwdr » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:01 pm

Thanks Gunny and GFK

I'll re-watch the video and zero in on the lever and bolt process.

I ordered the cables to pull thru from the breech. In that process, for those of you who do this type barrel cleaning, what do you use that swaps out the barrel with a tight fit? I see that I could attach a brass or synthetic brush but what about some sort of jag that attaches to be pulled thru instead of on the end of a rod? I have that rope tool with a brush but after a few uses those get fouled up pretty bad, I typically use them at the range or for a first pull thru. Its not something Id pull through over and over thinking I'd clean the barrel thoroughly.

When low on solvent, I have used brake clean on my TC Encore trigger mechanism and followed up with a lubricant, probably doing that every two or three years. I shoot a Blackhorn 209 'powder' so I don't have the corrosion concerns as with black powder. My gunsmith screwdriver set must have 70 different heads. Worth every penny.

Thanks
2 x

deerwdr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by deerwdr » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:08 am

I'll call pro shot and see if they offer a jag for their cables too
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:29 am

deerwdr wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:01 pm
Thanks Gunny and GFK

I'll re-watch the video and zero in on the lever and bolt process.

Thanks
Not sure I was clear about the video menu. You have to click on the little > just to the right of the video menu to access the Reassembly and other two videos in the series.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:32 pm

Remington Squeeg-E's are great for pulling through the barrel, 1 pass gets almost all the crud out, I only have to run 1 or 2 dry patches after using it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bv8aZwfNwU
2 x