Oxpho-Blue

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Cleveraction
Wrangler
United States of America

Oxpho-Blue

Post by Cleveraction » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:43 pm

Hey all!

After thoroughly inspecting my new H009g I noticed that there are two places (small) missing bluing. There is a line on the edge of the piece the lever screws to and a small spot on the rear dovetail where the rear sight lives.

Henry's top flight customer service line said no problem we will fix it, just send it back. These are small blemishes and while I want a new thing to look new, I am not sure if it is worth mailing it off. Communicating this to them they said the method to fix it on my own is from brownells.com item number 082 024 004: oxpho-blue, or I can just make sure to keep the gun oiled and I will be fine.

Anyone have experience with oxpho-blue?

Thanks!
0 x
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land.
~Aldo Leopold

brianpa
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: Oxpho-Blue

Post by brianpa » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:11 pm

I use it on black powder guns work good just make sure the spots are de-greased good. dump some oxy blue into a small container and use a Q-Tip to apply. and read the directions. Good luck
1 x
H015-44,H009G

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:29 pm

should you decide to fix the problem yourself, please take pictures and post comments .... I'd really like to know more about the process
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:02 am

I have used it before to touch up screws and such. I would stay away from large flat areas.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Cleveraction
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Cleveraction » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:20 pm

JEBar wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:29 pm
should you decide to fix the problem yourself, please take pictures and post comments .... I'd really like to know more about the process
I ordered the Oxhpo Blue and did a trial run. I've had a P229DAK for over a decade and there is wear on the barrel so decided it made sense to see how the product does.

For me, the cold bluing does work but it is very difficult to get a uniform finish, as Sir Henry mentions flat spots may be best, and small areas may have the best results. For any section that will "show" I would probably use it on areas the size of a dime or less. Here is a video what I did with the results: https://youtu.be/-dIRd15D7-w hope this helps a bit. One thing to consider is that you need to wipe off any excess. If you use this near the fore and it drips or runs between the fore and the metal making wipe down impossible your gun may rust where you can't easily see it.

So, bottom line, mixed results though my technique may be at least partly to blame. I would probably use it on super small areas or maybe try another experiment using "Black Magic."
2 x
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land.
~Aldo Leopold

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:25 pm

Dipping is the best way to go. Applying with a Q-tip or cotton swab works better if you keep replenishing the chemicals that actually blue the metal. Your q-t was wet however the chemicals were already consumed. That is way it was not uniform.

Dipping will also make it bluer and not just darker.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:09 pm

Small areas should be fairly easy and straightforward. I have used it for small things like screws and touch ups. The complete 336 lever I did required heat and multiple applications but came out looking better than the Remlin finish on the receiver.
1 x