Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry Lever Actions

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Henry Lever Actions

Post by JEBar » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:23 am

given I've only fire two Henry rifles lever action rifles .... that being the case, my hands-on experience is very limited .... what I have found the action of our H012 Big Boy Steel 44 Mag operates much more smoothly than the action on our H010CC Color Case Hardened .45-70 .... I can't help but wonder if the heavier duty nature of the components is responsible .... this raises the question, for those who have experience with different Henry models, have you found some operate more smoothly than others
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Henry Lever Actions

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:22 am

Good question. I don't have centerfire Henrys so I can't answer but I'm interested in the answer.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:24 am

Sir Henry wrote:Good question. I don't have centerfire Henrys so I can't answer but I'm interested in the answer.
have you found any significant difference in the actions of your various models of Henry rim fires ?
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:26 am

JEBar wrote:
Sir Henry wrote:Good question. I don't have centerfire Henrys so I can't answer but I'm interested in the answer.
have you found any significant difference in the actions of your various models of Henry rim fires ?
Not really. But I've found that with the Small Game Carbine the lockup seems better which is crazy because they all have the same action.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:42 am

Sir Henry wrote:
JEBar wrote:
Not really. But I've found that with the Small Game Carbine the lockup seems better which is crazy because they all have the same action.
10-4 .... its interesting how the same parts and be assembled every day in producing a product and some come out working better/worse than the others
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:00 pm

I have an H009 .30-30. I remember when I first got it, I compared it side by side with a Marlin 336 from the 1970's. The actions and triggers on both were smooth, but my Henry was better.
0 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:23 pm

Interesting stuff. JEbar I think you are right. The bigger the action the more clunky it is. My brass 45/70 functions well and is smooth. But it is a much larger action than my BB and it shows. More effort, more mechanical sound to the action as it cycles. And you can feel the distinct steps to the cycling process if that makes sense.

I have a few other opinions on this. I feel all the guns get smoother with use. I'm also thinking the brass may smooth out just a bit quicker. Even though the receivers are hardened, brass is softer than steel. I think the slight rough edges may even out faster because of that.

I have 3 Henry's.

Both the Golden Boy and Big Boy were taken apart and cleaned after the 1st year or so and large loop levers installed. I watched the Henry videos. They pointed out the grease. Which I found when I disassembled them. Some folks just oil their guns or don't even do that or use too much. I used a very small amount of a good Lubriplate white Lithium to replace what Henry used and in the same places of the action. An old friend used to be a Marine Corp Armorer. He said that's what they used as it doesn't get stiff in cold weather. Things not greased were "lightly" oiled then wiped off.

Both of these rifles are now well broken in. Both are smooth as silk. The were good new but much better now. Everyone that shoots or cycles them comments on the buttery feel. Especially the GB. It almost cycles the lever itself. The BB is also super smooth but the bigger action requires a tad more effort. Whatever notchyness (highly technical term) that I might have felt when new is long gone. I suspect the brass 45/70 will do similar as times goes on and I fire more rounds through it. It will get cleaned and lubed the same way after enough rounds have gone through it. I suspect it will take me a bit longer to break that one in!

The 1st cleaning both the above guns were pretty dirty inside. Over this winter I pulled the levers and bolts out of each and saw clean white grease in both and put them back together as is. This is at least a year and many rounds since the 1st cleaning. That is one of the things I like about lever action VS semi auto. The actions require much less cleaning.

I have NOT done any sanding, polishing or trigger work on any of these other than cleaning and lubing.

My BIL has a couple of Marlin and Winchester 30/30's. They are nice and function well. He takes care of them. But none come close to my Henry's for smoothness.
2 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:42 pm

I only use grease on a semi-auto where the bolt gets slapped around. For my Henrys I stuck with plain old Rem Oil and only put enough on to keep it from rusting. The only exception to that is I'll put a tad more on the firing pin so it slips through easily.
0 x

Firearmfanatic
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Firearmfanatic » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:20 pm

Sir Henry wrote:I only use grease on a semi-auto where the bolt gets slapped around. For my Henrys I stuck with plain old Rem Oil and only put enough on to keep it from rusting. The only exception to that is I'll put a tad more on the firing pin so it slips through easily.
Thank you. Im going to try your advice with my henry BBB 44mag.
1 x