Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Could Lever Action Qualify on a Law Enforcement Course

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Cattle Driver
Australia

Re: Could Lever Action Qualify on a Law Enforcement Course

Post by 220 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:44 pm

daytime dave wrote:I think that was a good video. For 20 rounds fired, it covered a lot of basic uses of a rifle in the law enforcement application. Neither the Marlin or the Henry is reloaded quickly. I like the "combat" reload directly into the chamber. He didn't look like he had done it very often.
Certainly wasted some time on his reload, he may have been better loading the mag given the time he took.
In the real world I do much prefer a loading gate or a top loading magazine in bolt guns as they allow you to quickly top off the magazine in between shots as time allows.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:06 pm

On the kneeling part, I can hear the buzzer at 08:12 and the shot goes off at 08:13, so I would say that he only got 2 shots off while kneeling.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:52 pm

Henry88 wrote:On the kneeling part, I can hear the buzzer at 08:12 and the shot goes off at 08:13, so I would say that he only got 2 shots off while kneeling.
I thought the same thing.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:16 pm

Yup, most people who watched this would have noticed that mis-count. The ROs who could have been evaluators must have had the day off. But still this fellow qualified the 1894 lever action w/greater than an 80% aggregate score under the State of Ohio requirements, even if that shot had not counted. I'd say he came through with flying colors as he ran the course. One final comment. He also said that he never practiced for this test, and had not done any of these shooting components before. Usually when LEOs qualify, there is a lot of practice done before hand. It was fun to watch him do this. If it were me with my Henry .357 Carbine, I would have gladly welcomed his end results.
0 x

~Пока~

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:00 am

PT7 wrote:Yup, most people who watched this would have noticed that mis-count. The ROs who could have been evaluators must have had the day off. But still this fellow qualified the 1894 lever action w/greater than an 80% aggregate score under the State of Ohio requirements, even if that shot had not counted. I'd say he came through with flying colors as he ran the course. One final comment. He also said that he never practiced for this test, and had not done any of these shooting components before. Usually when LEOs qualify, there is a lot of practice done before hand. It was fun to watch him do this. If it were me with my Henry .357 Carbine, I would have gladly welcomed his end results.
This is true. And, please do not miss understand me. I think he did a fine job with the lever action. To me, he demonstrate that a 100+ years design is still a viable option. The miss count I took as a close call or author's discretion. Either way, he passed. To avoid any doubt, I may would not have called it. But, it was his video.

The thing that caught my attention the most was the time took to acquire target, fire and hit a vital area. That's the most that can be done with any firearm. I think this supports the point that was being made in the other thread you posted (less time for aiming may be a good thing). It also supports how a firearm may actually be used (which lends to your off hand shooting approach as well). But as someone pointed out, it may be a different story when someone is shooting back. Yet, it still shows that a lever action should not to be discounted. If required, it is capable of getting the job done.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Firearmfanatic
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Firearmfanatic » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:27 am

GFK wrote:
PT7 wrote:Any thots, GFK, on speed re-loading a Henry?

Would a .357 type of Spee-D-Loader dis-qualify for such a qual? I don't think it would even as revolver competitions allow speed loaders and/or speed strips. Interesting to think about.

I guess something could be created if one decides to used lever action as a primary long gun in the field. I suspect most law enforcement officers would be hesitant of using a lever action. I think the revolver is being phased out as well. But my uncle (who is a state trooper) tells me that he still carries a revolver while off duty. I think reliability is more of a concern than volume.
i completely agree. I love revolvers. Trying to have to speed load can be tricky but you never have to worry about the revolver jamming.
1 x