Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Single Shot 357

Henry's new single shots
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Single Shot 357 "Brasslite"

Post by JEBar » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:41 am

what a great surprise .... really looking forward to seeing it next week .... just curious, any comments on the trigger pull :?:
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:02 am

JEBar wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:41 am
what a great surprise .... really looking forward to seeing it next week .... just curious, any comments on the trigger pull :?:
All I've done so far is a couple of dry fires and it seems a bit heavy, but not as heavy as the hammer pull, which is really stiff. I may break down and swap out the spring since it's so easy and I have nine of them!

Matter of fact, I'm gonna go do that RIGHT NOW!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:56 am

Hmmm. When you break it open to load it what do you see? Brass or Zamak (pot metal in color)?

The quote you provided came from the shotgun review
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... nd-rifles/
"The example of the high-polish brass receiver models requested for this review was the 28" barrel 12-ga. (H015B-12) shotgun. The receiver is not actually made of brass (which is soft, heavy and tends to stretch out of spec eventually) but a much more durable proprietary brass-plated alloy called Brasslite, which is treated with a clear coating to preserve its mirror finish. A steel insert houses the firing pin and supports the base of each shotgun shell when fired."

Also from American Rifleman for the center fire rifles...
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... on-models/
"Moving away from Henry’s well-known lever-actions, the company is adding a .30-30 Win. and a .357 Mag. to its line of break-action single shots. The .357 will come with either a hardened brass or a blued-steel receiver, while the .30-.30 Win. will be available only in the blued steel."

You have very nice SS with beautiful wood grain. Hope you keep the brass shiny. But personal preference there.
ESquared wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:35 am
Mags wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:09 pm
Henry center fires are a solid brass alloy. Only the rimfires are brasslite. You got it shined up real pretty anyway. Enjoy shooting it next week as well as the fellowship of the get together!
ESquared wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:30 pm
Nope. From an "American Rifleman" review, which is typical of many written about the single shot lineup. HRA doesn't really own up to it, and it's obvious to see them side-by-side.

"The receiver is not actually made of brass (which is soft, heavy and tends to stretch out of spec eventually) but a much more durable proprietary brass-plated alloy called Brasslite, which is treated with a clear coating to preserve its mirror finish."
Last edited by Mags on Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:14 pm

ESquared wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:02 am
All I've done so far is a couple of dry fires and it seems a bit heavy, but not as heavy as the hammer pull, which is really stiff. I may break down and swap out the spring since it's so easy and I have nine of them!

Matter of fact, I'm gonna go do that RIGHT NOW!
what choke tubes do you have :?:
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:17 pm

Mags wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:56 am
Hmmm. When you break it open to load it what do you see? Brass or Zamak (pot metal in color)?

The quote you provided came from the shotgun review
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... nd-rifles/
"The example of the high-polish brass receiver models requested for this review was the 28" barrel 12-ga. (H015B-12) shotgun. The receiver is not actually made of brass (which is soft, heavy and tends to stretch out of spec eventually) but a much more durable proprietary brass-plated alloy called Brasslite, which is treated with a clear coating to preserve its mirror finish. A steel insert houses the firing pin and supports the base of each shotgun shell when fired."

Also from American Rifleman for the center fire rifles...
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... on-models/
"Moving away from Henry’s well-known lever-actions, the company is adding a .30-30 Win. and a .357 Mag. to its line of break-action single shots. The .357 will come with either a hardened brass or a blued-steel receiver, while the .30-.30 Win. will be available only in the blued steel."
ESquared wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:35 am
Mags wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:09 pm
Henry center fires are a solid brass alloy. Only the rimfires are brasslite. You got it shined up real pretty anyway. Enjoy shooting it next week as well as the fellowship of the get together!

Nope. From an "American Rifleman" review, which is typical of many written about the single shot lineup. HRA doesn't really own up to it, and it's obvious to see them side-by-side.

I'm not going to debate this or research it further. I know the difference, I know what I have, I own both. Find some other nit to pick, as this one is done.

"The receiver is not actually made of brass (which is soft, heavy and tends to stretch out of spec eventually) but a much more durable proprietary brass-plated alloy called Brasslite, which is treated with a clear coating to preserve its mirror finish."
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:11 pm

Catching mis-information is hardly nit picking. My apologies for it coming across that way. Enjoy shooting them and again have a good time with fellow forum members this week.
ESquared wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:17 pm
...Nope. From an "American Rifleman" review, which is typical of many written about the single shot lineup. HRA doesn't really own up to it, and it's obvious to see them side-by-side.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:15 pm

tractortad,
That's good to know. I have one single shot rifle that takes down with a forearm latch (Brno Effect), so I assumed - incorrectly - that I'd at least need a nylon punch and something to tap it with; a #2 pencil with eraser sounds pretty good :) .
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Single Shot 357

Post by ESquared » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:54 pm

File this under "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet."

Apparently it's a coated finish, doesn't produce the "black residue" like Big Boys, but the receivers are indeed brass.

Crow is best served at room temperature, just FYI.
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:29 pm

Id need more than KC BBQ sauce to eat crow with and I bet it don't taste like chicken either
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:52 pm

I usually have mine with a dash of salt and a shot of Anejo Tequila followed by a wedge of lemon! Then, to be sure, I repeat that several times. ;)
ESquared wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:54 pm
Crow is best served at room temperature, just FYI.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"