Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Hunting with a Single Shot

Henry's new single shots
Coote
Tenderfoot
New Zealand

Re: Hunting with a Single Shot

Post by Coote » Wed May 29, 2019 3:54 pm

I'd normally leave undersized ones alone, but this one charged me without provocation. Self defence.
2 x

Coote
Tenderfoot
New Zealand

Post by Coote » Wed May 29, 2019 3:59 pm

Mistered wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:04 pm
Just wondering what are the brightly colored 'bands' on the barrels of the single shot and the lever action shown in the pictures?
The bands are electrician's tape. The foremost bit of tape covers the muzzle to stop leaves, twigs and rain getting into the barrel. And the other band is a few wraps of spare tape so I can replace the muzzle cover when I've shot a hole through it. The tape doesn't seem to have any effect on accuracy.
2 x

Coote
Tenderfoot
New Zealand

Post by Coote » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:44 am

I eagerly awaited the arrival of my Henry .357 single shot. After the predicted five week delivery time passed, I regularly made contact with the gun shop to see if there was any news. At the end of eight weeks there was still no sign of it.... so I cancelled the order and bought a single shot Bergara instead. It has optic fiber sights which aren't really 'me'... I would have far preferred the traditional steel sights on the Henry. But apart from that it is a very useful little rifle.... it comes with a threaded barrel to take a moderator... and a Picatinny rail, so I have fitted a scope while I test my handloads.

I think there was possibly some miscommunication between my gun store and the importer which meant that an order was not officially made. Dunno... I don't want to upset the helpful, nice folks at the gun store so I won't make an issue of it. I'd still like a Henry though. Maybe a 45-70. Lever or single.

Best wishes....
1 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:49 pm

I was looking forward to your take on the Henry. Stay in contact with us, we'll convince you to try for one again ;) .
0 x

Coote
Tenderfoot
New Zealand

Post by Coote » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:50 pm

Thanks Yornoc. I will certainly keep that in mind.
0 x

BigBlue
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by BigBlue » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:56 pm

Henry88 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:59 pm
Aren't there size limits on deer down there ? :D
I wasn't sure if that was a big hare or a small whitetail deer. A lot of eating from one hare!.
0 x
“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

Coote
Tenderfoot
New Zealand

Post by Coote » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:56 pm

There is indeed quite a bit of meat on a big hare. It is a bit like venison, but every hare I can remember was extremely lean. Best wishes....
0 x