Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

single shot 30-30

Henry's new single shots
dad
Tenderfoot
United States of America

single shot 30-30

Post by dad » Thu May 02, 2019 8:27 pm

I thinking about a Henry single shot in 30-30. For those that have one how have they been, accuracy, reliably.How are the open sights and scopes doing for accuracy ? How is the weight and balance with the scope on. Thinking of low power 1- 5 or 2-7. I'm finding at my age anything over that is to much. Thanks for your replies in advance.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: single shot 30-30

Post by BigAl52 » Thu May 02, 2019 11:04 pm

I dont have the 30-30 but I do have a 357. Ive had good accuracy with mine so far and I have used a Burris 2x7 scope on it. Ive since discovered some loads that I like and have gone back to a red dot. I dont use mine for hunting just for plinking. I dd not much care for the factory sights at all. The only other issue with the single shots is the trigger and hammer pull. Some have taken theres to gunsmiths and some have modified there own changing out the hammer spring which does make a difference. If you check out the range reports section I know you will find some single shot range reports. Also I think there is some in the single shot area.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

wolfman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wolfman » Fri May 03, 2019 10:22 am

Another .357 owner here, but some photos to show you how a compact scope looks on the Henry ss platform can be seen on this thread:

https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=6503

It's a Leupold 4x28, advertised for rimfire, but working fine with the low recoil produced by 357. Rings are Leupold aluminum in low, with the Henry scope base. Another picture in the last post shows the setup after I sawed off the extra, unused portion of railing in the front. That scope is ridiculously light (7.5 oz), & has virtually no effect on balance or handling. A heavier scope & steel base/rings may change the equation.

Used to love iron sights & with good ones, could shoot as well as with a scope at ranges under 100 yards or so. Those days are gone, & I even struggle some with aperture sights now. Much as I like this rifle & Henry in general, their particular iron sights aren't among the best out there in this man's humble opinion. That said, there are folks out there who use them & do quite well.

I'll echo BigAl52 on the hammer spring... it's an easy change, & combined with wear in from use, brought my trigger pull from just about 7 lbs to ~3.75 lbs. Was crisp all along, just to heavy for my tastes with the factory spring.

Was concerned about light strikes after replacing the spring, but it's still denting the primer plenty good. Four brands of factory ammunition, and hand loads using CCI & Winchester primers have had no issues.
1 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Fri May 03, 2019 1:48 pm

I have a single shot 30-30, and can report on everything but shooting it :oops: . That's partly due to weather interfering, so I'll get 'er done soon. I changed out the spring, reducing the trigger pull from at least 7 lbs down to about 3 1/2 lbs. It's really quite easy; there are a couple of good instructional postings on that process. I want the scope to be as low as possible, so I've used a Warne 981M base, with Weaver Grand Slam Medium (same height as Burris/Leupold low) rings, to mount a Burris Fulfield 2.75X scope I found (in as new condition) at a gun show. Mounting this low requires a hammer spur, I used the steel version of the Henry one made by Carlsons.

I, too, don't shoot iron sights that well anymore. If this 30-30 shoots as well as my 45-70 and .243 single shots do, it'll be right around a one inch 3 shot group at 100 yards. There's no reason to think it won't ;) .
0 x

ScottCard
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by ScottCard » Sat May 11, 2019 10:27 pm

dad wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:27 pm
I thinking about a Henry single shot in 30-30. For those that have one how have they been, accuracy, reliably.How are the open sights and scopes doing for accuracy ? How is the weight and balance with the scope on. Thinking of low power 1- 5 or 2-7. I'm finding at my age anything over that is to much. Thanks for your replies in advance.
I just updated my 30-30 post with a range report. Take a look. I mounted a 3-9 scope because that’s what I had lying around but will likely use it at 4-6x. I think it’s a 1MOA rifle in the right hands, right now it’s a 1.5 MOA rifle in my hands.
0 x
Henry Small Game Carbine 22 LR
Henry Single Shot 30-30