Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Puzzled

Henry's new single shots
X-Hunter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Puzzled

Post by X-Hunter » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:26 pm

I have mounted and sighted in at least 50 scopes in my life but this one is making me feel really stupid. I purchased a scope base that was made by H&R to fit the Handi Rifle under the assumption that if the Weaver #82 base would work for the Handi Rifle or the Henry Single shot that the bases are interchangeable. I used Warne high scope rings to mount a Burris 2x7 Fullfield scope on my Henry Single shot rifle chambered in 308 win. I set my target at 25 yrds and the first shot was 2 feet high. Yes 2 Feet. I ran out of elevation adjustment and was still 1 foot high. I haven't measured center of the scope to the bore center but it's higher than I like to mount a scope. I did so to get better access to the hammer extension. I plan to use the rifle for hunting. I'm aware there is the parallax issue but please. The bullet is crossing the line of sight. What am I missing?
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Puzzled

Post by Mistered » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:42 pm

What am I missing?
Did you bore sight the scope before actually shooting it?
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:01 am

Set the rifle, broken open, on a rest and aim the bore at a clear distant object like a street light. Sight through the barrel, you should be able to see it. See if the scope can be brought to bear on that object. That is bore sighting without usiing any tools.

I bet there is a problem with the base, assuming your scope is not toast. Was the optic working on a different rifle or is it a new acquisiion? Maybe try a different scope on that base.

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

X-Hunter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by X-Hunter » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:55 am

That is typically how I bore sight. When I do, it's at 50 yrds with bolt rifle on the bench. I didn't feel like breaking the gun down to do it. It's still chilly here in NH and I've used the 25 yrd method enough times on levers to know it works. It took one shot to see what I needed to do. (not arguing) I also have a laser bore sighter but the batteries are dead. You may be on to something with the scope though. I had the the scope on a rifle previously but took it off and mounted it on a crossbow I bought for deer hunting. It worked very well. I took it off the crossbow to mount it on the Henry. I suppose something could have happened to the scope on the hunting trip. I made two real nice kill shots the second day of my tip and didn't shoot it the rest o the week. As careful as I am, it may have gotten banged around on the 4-wheeler or in the truck on the trip. I do have a couple other scopes I could try to prove that out. I can't see anything wrong with the base and I checked the rings to make sure they are the same height It's going to be a couple weeks before I can get back out to the range.
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:56 am

Your right on for 300 yrds or so.
Scope or rings are tweeked.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

X-Hunter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by X-Hunter » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:07 am

I have never seen anything like this before, but I guess I will try a different scope.
0 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:06 am

Scope base not seated, on backwards, rings reversed, rings fully seated in base?

Cheek weld not firm (not much weld that high), flinching?
0 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:37 am

I would strongly suspect a base problem with the gun shooting that high at 25 yards. The fact that the scope was able to adjust out one foot of that elevation indicates the scope is probably not the issue.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:47 am

also, mismatched ring height. even a 1/10 or less of an inch might go unnoticed.
wingnut wrote:Scope base not seated, on backwards, rings reversed, rings fully seated in base?

Cheek weld not firm (not much weld that high), flinching?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:56 am

It sure sounds like a ring or base problem to me, too. I also bought a base made for the Handi-rifles (Warne 981M), and it was fine, other than the mounting screw hole location on the early Henry single shots required a minor modification to clear the standing breech (which has been corrected on the new H 15 models). Once the scope was mounted, though, everything lined up just fine; I was on the paper. I wouldn't expect Warne rings to be off, either, but you never know.
0 x