Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Puzzled

Henry's new single shots
X-Hunter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Puzzled

Post by X-Hunter » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:49 pm

It's impossible to put the base on backwards. I didn't pull the base back off to inspect it but did check the rings. They are the exact same height. I did make sure the rings were down tight onto the base. Flinch? well I guess everyone flinches to some degree. I handload and shoot anyone of my 30 or more rifles from 22lr to 30-06 at least 1,000 rds a season. I consistently shoot MOA groups with a few of my rifles that will do it. I don't think the height is the reason for the problem but will almost certainly affect how well the gun shoots as long as I own it. I bought it to hut with but don't carry anything that I don't shoot well. This one may end up in the classifieds.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:06 pm

Maybe some pics would help?
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:55 pm

How does it shoot at 25 yds without the scope, using the open sights that came on the rifle?
X-Hunter wrote:....
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

X-Hunter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by X-Hunter » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:49 pm

I should have added the fact that, I was so excited to shoot it after Santa Claus (me) gave it to me for Christmas I ran down to the range and took 6 shots with my old tired eyes and held a 2" group at 25 yrds. Shooting when it's 10 deg out saves ammo. After my cataract surgery in May I'll try to tighten that up.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:41 pm

I would think then not an issue with the rifle by itself ...
best wishes on your upcoming eye surgery!
X-Hunter wrote:I should have added the fact that, ... held a 2" group at 25 yrds. ...
mags wrote:How does it shoot at 25 yds without the scope, using the open sights that came on the rifle?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

X-Hunter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by X-Hunter » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:09 pm

I had a chance to get back to the range yesterday, and am happy to report that the Henry SS far exceeds my expectation as to it's accuracy. After being puzzled as I was, I pulled the scope rings off and mounted the red dot sight I took off my Buckmark. Took about three adjustments to zero in. I like the red dot but wanted the magnification of the rifle scope so I then mounted a Nikon Monarch 2x7 scope that I pulled off another rifle. After a few adjustments I had it shooting well enough to move out to 50 yrds and fine tune it. After 3-4 final adjustments the gun was zeroed in shooting a ragged hole. I didn't have time to put a fresh target out at 100 yrds but took a couple shots at some clay pigeons on the sand bank and as expected it was a couple inches high at 100 yrds. And am sure it will shoot MOA. The only disappointment was there is a little travel and a little grit in the trigger now. Might also be a bit light on the hammer. I had about 5-6 rounds that didn't fire. I shoot handloads so it may have been a batch of fickle primers. It shot a whole box of my pet loads and it shot them well.
I did not solve the puzzle, but a different scope fixed it. If the scope shoots well on another setup than I'll know it was the ring to base connection. I've never had this problem and couldn't see an issue. I like the holding power of the Warne rings but don't like assembling them. It's possible that the little aluminum bar wasn't seated and was holding the ring up a bit but it was hard to see it. It doesn't take much. I am 100% confident in the guns accuracy but have to shoot the same loads enough to be sure it will not misfire to feel good about hunting with it. Thank everyone for your help and suggestions. I will have to figure out how to post a picture of the target, but it will be a picture of one ragged hole anyway. Very pleased.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:06 pm

2thumbs.jpg
2thumbs.jpg (12.82 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:54 pm

Good news, for sure. Now to make sure about those primers ;) .
0 x

X-Hunter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by X-Hunter » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:51 pm

Yornoc3 wrote:Good news, for sure. Now to make sure about those primers ;) .
Well I did the trigger mod and I keep hearing the question about primer strikes from others. i wonder how many this has happened to. It's a different gun now but it needs to go bang!!
1 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:51 pm

I agree. I changed the trigger spring in my 30-30, but haven't fired it as yet, so I'm curious about it. I kept the small spring captured by the large spring in place (others may have removed it?), I'll accept a little more weight of trigger pull in return for reliability. And I also wonder if that small spring is the "rebounding hammer" function spring as well. I also have hammer spurs installed; the new Henry steel models are heavier than the aluminum were, and also heavier than the non-ambidextrous Uncle Mike's steel spurs I have. Might that slow the hammer fall enough to matter? I doubt it, but we'll soon find out. As you said, primer ignition must be reliable for a hunting rifle.
1 x