Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Another visit to the LGS, another Henry Single

Henry's new single shots
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Another visit to the LGS, another Henry Single

Post by PT7 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:40 pm

tractortad wrote: It wouldn't surprise me though if they were to offer single barrels for sale in the future, because whether they knew or it or not, the single platform is already designed to swap different caliber barrels on the same receiver. I think they would sell a lot more singles if people new they could add a different caliber just by buying a barrel which would probably be less than half the price of a new gun...
Tend to agree that more Henry singles might be sold, and then of course the number of barrels sold would also probably escalate.

On this Forum and elsewhere I've read about different manufacturers, which provide barrel swaps for rifles and/or revolvers; e.g. Contenders, DWs, Wildey, others. The only one I'm familiar with is the Bond Arms Derringer. The model I had was the Snake Slayer IV, and currently carries an MSRP of $648. I ended up with 4 additional barrels/calibers after getting the derringer. I've watched factory tours at their TX facility, and the number of barrels on the shelves is huge!! Almost looks like an ammo production line.

Anyway, the derringers are pricey, neither are the barrels cheap (stainless steel). They market the current offerings:
~~17 derringer models
~~2-1/2" to 6" barrel lengths
~~37 calibers
~~There are other variances in the barrels also: ported, matte bead-blasted, special edition designs, etc.
~~Barrel prices run between $130 to $375 depending on above choices, particularly the length factor mostly impacts higher cost. I couldn't find the cost of the new Texan 6" barrel. Certain that it tops $375.

I think those Granbury Texans are sittin' on a gold mine. If nothing else, there may be some HRA people looking at such possibilities. The single shots sure lend themselves to similar offerings.

PT7
0 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:19 pm

Trust me when I say that NOT offering interchangeable barrels on the Henry single shots is probably a good thing if you're on any kind of a budget. I won't even tell you how large a collection I have of Encore and Contender barrels, not to mention all the scopes or red dots each one wears. A money saver it is not. :)
3 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:55 pm

North Country Gal wrote: A money saver it is not. :)
Yup. No doubt about that :!:
0 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:40 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
ESquared wrote:Had a feeling that was coming! Congrats and please let us know how it shoots, what you do for sights, etc.

I keep flip-flopping between the SS 20 ga. and maybe a SS 44 Mag. Who knows?
Just get both Evan you’re gonna wear yourself out flip flopping
See, this is the reason I take my time and ponder these things. Or maybe I just have A.D.D., I don't know.

BUT, today, my brain says, 'You have a heavy bullet brush gun (the 45 Colt).' and 'You have a SS shotgun (the "Topper" 16 ga in CCH),' so why not consider the 223 SS?

Why not? Fun target/range gun, good for reloading (although I never have, obviously), but even factory ammo is plentiful and cheap-ish. What are the downsides?
2 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:04 pm

In youre case the only downside is you wont find one of those Uberti pistolas to go with it. Other than that help us out with that running total.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:06 pm

BigAl52 wrote:In youre case the only downside is you wont find one of those Uberti pistolas to go with it. Other than that help us out with that running total.
No more Ubertis! Clearly I don't know what to do, and the 223 is kind of intriguing.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:12 pm

223 is cheap to shoot and the over the counter ammo is so cheap it aint worth reloading it. Matter of fact the only advantage I can think of would be tailoring a load for that gun. But I bet you could find an over the counter load that would shoot pretty darn good. 44 mag would give you another hunting choice but at the same time target shooting would be possible. Reloading for it would be the way to go as store bought ammo is pricey. Ive thought about both along with a 308. Just haven't decided yet.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:18 pm

BigAl52 wrote:223 is cheap to shoot and the over the counter ammo is so cheap it aint worth reloading it. Matter of fact the only advantage I can think of would be tailoring a load for that gun. But I bet you could find an over the counter load that would shoot pretty darn good. 44 mag would give you another hunting choice but at the same time target shooting would be possible. Reloading for it would be the way to go as store bought ammo is pricey. Ive thought about both along with a 308. Just haven't decided yet.
Interesting that you note that, Al. I've been trying to figure out a reloading scenario for 223, and new brass is almost as expensive as over the counter ammo. Any reason not to use steel cases in a single shot Henry, if all you're going to do is throw it away? Have never used steel cases in my life on anything, but it seems to be everywhere in 223. I've found some once-fired brass on Etsy but then there are dies and boolits, so I'm not done researching it yet.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:50 pm

Steel case ammo is almost always the import stuff. Some ranges wont let you shoot it because the bullets have some steel in the bullet itself. There not pure lead with a copper jacket. There is in fact some steel in it. Take a magnet and you will see for yourself. Now there is a lot of guys who shoot it. I've read where the steel content is not supposed to be enough to hurt the bore. Im no authority on it all I know is what I read. Are the people who post or write that authority's on it. I don't know. Ive shot some in my AR's and I have some at home. Mostly Brown and Silver Bear. It shoots pretty darn good. Especially the Silver bear. I also have some in 9mm. I haven't been afraid to shoot it in mine as it does have a copper jacket. I however have not bought much more of it because some of the American ammo makes have now come down in price quite a bit.
1 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:06 pm

The National Forest here bans the use of steel jacketed ammo. Mostly Tula ammo here .though not all steel case ammo is steel jacketed.
I pulled the bullets of a few bellied the case mouth and reloaded some lead free varmint bullets. They really zip out there and are accurate.
The Henry 5.66 NATO chambering and 9 twist allowes for a wide choice of bullet weights to choose from.
0 x
Pax at Justitia