Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

SS .357 Mag- report, & advice request

Henry's new single shots
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: SS .357 Mag- report, & advice request

Post by markiver54 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:38 pm

Welcome Wolfman...beautiful rifle. Continue to enjoy a great forum!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

wolfman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wolfman » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:35 pm

Wow... thanks to you all for the friendly welcomes!

PT7 got me to thinking (uh-oh). This isn't the first time a small, "hole in the wall" type gun store has turned up an item that couldn't be found at the big places, or even online. Not much space at this one, but it was stuffed with walnut & blued steel- a rarity these days. The plastic fantastics have there place too (including my safe), just don't want to see the old school stuff disappear from the brick & mortar establishments.

Apparently this rifle had been there a while. Card in the box was dated August 2018. If Henry starts at zero for each new offering (don't know if they do or don't), the serial number would indicate it was the 10th single shot in .357 Magnum to come off the line.
3 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:43 pm

welcome indeed, delighted to have you join us .... as others have correctly noted, that is one fine looking Henry .... looking forward to your coming range and use reports as you come to know it better .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your beautiful 357 to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 729#p85729
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:07 pm

Welcome Wolfman. I have one of the 357 Single Shots also. The wood on yours is definitely nicer than mine is. Generous offer by Tad there and you will like the results. I have a Burris 2 x 7 x32 on mine so I cant help you with youre choice of sights. But I do like my 357 and I have shot about 300 rounds thru it so far.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

wolfman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wolfman » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:53 am

She's been added to the tally!
JEBar wrote:welcome indeed, delighted to have you join us .... as others have correctly noted, that is one fine looking Henry .... looking forward to your coming range and use reports as you come to know it better .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your beautiful 357 to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 729#p85729
1 x

wolfman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wolfman » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:09 pm

Replaced the factory springs with the Grainger spring tractortad was so kind to send. Went from a five pull average just under seven pounds to a five pull average just under four pounds, & feels worlds better. Still very crisp, with no creep or gritty feeling. Will get out to the range in the next couple days to check on the firing pin strikes.
4 x

d.l.h.
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by d.l.h. » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:06 pm

I have a 357 on its way. And Tad was super nice to offer a trigger spring so I should be good to go sometime next week. Any suggestions as to bullet weight preference in the rifle?
Thanks and good shooting,
Dave
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:14 pm

d.l.h. wrote:I have a 357 on its way. And Tad was super nice to offer a trigger spring so I should be good to go sometime next week. Any suggestions as to bullet weight preference in the rifle?
Dave
Welcome to the Forum, Dave! Two new members in the same thread! Definitely start with 158 gr in that 357. Are you reloading or buying off the shelf? You won't find it to be picky, but 158 gr and up seems to be the sweet spot.

Welcome again! Look forward to hearing your first impressions and seeing a range report! Bonus points for pics!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:28 pm

d.l.h. wrote:I have a 357 on its way. And Tad was super nice to offer a trigger spring so I should be good to go sometime next week. Any suggestions as to bullet weight preference in the rifle?
Dave
KCMO.jpg
KCMO.jpg (27.21 KiB) Viewed 2188 times
Welcome from the Show-Me-State, Dave.
Congrats on your Henry .357.

Although all of the Big Boys are cool, curious to know what model you chose?

I agree with ESquared on the 158gr and up ammo. I mostly shoot that, too. Although I've found there are some target rounds I've liked in either 130gr or 142gr. I don't reload, so it gets to be a tad spendy to shoot JHP deer hunting ammo all the time. Plan to use either Hornady or Black Hills when I get to the hunting woods in the fall at my son's-in-law 40 acres. For the outdoor range times, I mix target rounds with some of the hunting ammo. Nice pattern for me.

Enjoy that new Henry, and your wanderings through the HRF.
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

d.l.h.
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by d.l.h. » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:30 pm

I have a 357 on its way. And Tad was super nice to offer a trigger spring so I should be good to go sometime next week. Any suggestions as to bullet weight preference in the rifle?
Dave

Thanks for the great reception and info on the 357 SS. I will surely keep the board informed of my experience and send a pic or two.
Dave
0 x