Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

SS .357 Mag- report, & advice request

Henry's new single shots
wolfman
Cowhand
United States of America

SS .357 Mag- report, & advice request

Post by wolfman » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:28 pm

Had been wanting one of these for a while, but all the local haunts that carry Henry were out of stock. Working out of town for a few days, and had some time to kill yesterday evening. Spied a small gun shop while driving, in & figured it'd be as good a place as any to hang out for a bit. Saw the rifle on the rack as soon as I walked in, immediately thought "please be a .357"... and it was! As you can see, it's a looker for sure.
Got to shoot it today, and there's a lot to like. Handles great, and I like how it balances shooting offhand. Stock is not only pretty, but comfortable & fits me well. Best I can tell it's all high quality materials, and they're put together very well. Showed some good accuracy potential, though the two things I don't like so much will be a hindrance until addressed.
Those two things are the sights & the trigger, & I'm sure neither is a big surprise to anyone here. Knew all about both of these things before buying, so not going to call them "complaints"... they were expected. That said, they'll have to be dealt with to really bring out the full potential of the rifle (in my hands, anyway).
The trigger is actually pretty crisp, just too heavy at almost 7 lbs. Sights are functional, just not my cup of tea. Tough to get real precise elevation adjustments, & I really do better with a rear sight closer to the eyes.
So that brings me to the request(s) for advice.

First, does anyone know a source other than Grainger for the spring that'll help reduce trigger pull weight? They're out of stock right now... not a huge deal to wait, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if there are alternatives.

Second, has anyone added the Skinner rear peep that fits the Henry SS/NEF/HR? Interested in knowing if/how you had to address the front sight after adding the Skinner rear sight.
IMG_20190225_190248 - Edited.jpg
IMG_20190225_190248 - Edited.jpg (240.82 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: SS .357 Mag- report, & advice request

Post by PT7 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:16 pm

That is one sharp-looking .357 SS! Glad you found it...sometimes those small gun shops come through. ;)

Only one thing. You said the stock was "pretty." Nope, it carries absolutely beautiful wood and grains on the stock and forearm. I'd say this Henry is a "keep-the-eyes-on-looker." After shooting it, I'd suggest that a special wall hanging would be a good place to keep it. :)

Hope the Skinner iron peep will work out okay. That is a quality sight, and will also look great on your rifle.
Looking forward to see how it all comes together.

Congrats again.
PT7
2 x

~Пока~

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:19 pm

Welcome to the forum, Wolfman - congrats on a nice looking 357Mag Single-shot - one of the nicest guns for the money that can be had, IMO.

We have Henry singles in 44Mag and 45-70 and added the Grainger springs to both - best mod on the planet for a Henry single - it dropped the trigger pull to around 3.5 lbs on both rifles and makes them much easier to cock.. The Grainger springs come in a pack of ten, so I have a few extras - send me a PM with your address and I'll send you one - no charge - it would just sit around and collect dust here.

We also have a Skinner peep on the way that we will try on one of our singles, but it isn't the same one you are looking at - it's the Skinner "Low-Pro II" which is actually designed for the Browning SA-22. It's a peep sight that can replace the original sight in the dovetail slot - we're curious to see if it works in a Henry single - if not, well, we have a Browning SA-22 that it will go in...
1 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:27 pm

wolfman wrote:Had been wanting one of these for a while...
Congratulations on your new Henry and welcome to the forum from CT. Glad you joined us.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

wolfman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wolfman » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:47 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Supposed I did undersell the looks just a bit :) , that stock really is a beauty. Henry must have a good source of walnut; haven't seen one of the single shots, either in person or in photos, that was fitted with a homely piece of wood.

That's a generous offer tractortad, will send you my address shortly. Hope that in the future I can return the favor in some fashion!

Just checked out the Low-Pro II... sure looks like it's about the same height range as the factory sight. If so, ought to be plug & play with the factory front. The Skinner rear sight looks pretty low too, but will of course sit in a higher plane being on the thick portion of the barrel. Imagine it'd just about have to be paired with a higher front. May give the Skinner folks a call tomorrow & see if they have a recommendation. Scoping isn't completely out of the question, but would really rather keep the weight, balance, and handling characteristics of the rifle as-is.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:49 pm

Welcome from the TV Oregon. You got one with really good looking grain in the wood!
wolfman wrote:...
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:56 pm

That truly is a beautiful piece of wood. Remarkable for a standard grade gun, in fact.

If you want to preserve the balance, weight and handling, give some consideration to a red dot. This is one of the advantages of a red dot on a single sot or lever gun.
1 x

wolfman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wolfman » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:57 pm

@tractortad - looks like I haven't yet graduated to PM access... if you're comfortable with the idea, email me at bluemoongreg@gmail.com & I'll send you my home address.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:22 pm

Dang, I wrote a warm welcome and posted it, only to have it go into a forum black hole! Anyway, WELCOME to the forum!

You've found a great place, as you've already learned. Free advice, free springs, profuse praise for your woodgrain, it doesn't get any better, does it?
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:34 pm

Welcome!
1 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856