Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Picked up a 30-30 - Added Trigger Job Update

Henry's new single shots
ScottCard
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Picked up a 30-30 - Added Trigger Job Update

Post by ScottCard » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:31 am

I picked up the 30-30 single shot a little over a week ago. I installed the Talley single piece rail with rings using a Swift 3-9x40 I took off another rifle that I decided to revert back to open sights. I also installed a Grovetec hammer extension I found in my safe. I will also install some sort of cheek riser as the scope sits a little too high.

This is going to be my deer rifle for use in the woods. It really seems to be a nice rifle for the price. My only complaint is the heavy trigger pull at 7-8 lbs on my gauge. It breaks pretty nice though with no slop. If the weather permits I may be able to sight it in tomorrow. :mrgreen:

See 4/16/19 post for trigger job update.
Attachments
90D05B0E-D9A4-480D-BE09-C999DAE8FBBE.jpeg
90D05B0E-D9A4-480D-BE09-C999DAE8FBBE.jpeg (134.47 KiB) Viewed 3661 times
Last edited by ScottCard on Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Henry Small Game Carbine 22 LR
Henry Single Shot 30-30

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Picked up a 30-30

Post by Mags » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:13 am

Welcome back!

Let us know how it goes tomorrow with your sight in, ok? Can't help you with the trigger pull but someone(s) else here is likely to chip in on that.
ScottCard wrote:I picked up the 30-30 single shot a little over a week ago. I installed the Talley single piece rail with rings using a Swift 3-9x40 I took off another rifle that I decided to revert back to open sights. I also installed a Grovetec hammer extension I found in my safe. I will also install some sort of cheek riser as the scope sits a little too high.

This is going to be my deer rifle for use in the woods. It really seems to be a nice rifle for the price. My only complaint is the heavy trigger pull at 7-8 lbs on my gauge. It breaks pretty nice though with no slop. If the weather permits I may be able to sight it in tomorrow. :mrgreen:
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:04 am

If the weather permits I may be able to sight it in tomorrow.
Dang that weather! I would have to maybe 'push' if a bit for a new rifle sight in but of course we can't control it and being uncomfortable (and wet) is not conducive to a good shooting session.
Seems like the trigger pull on the SS's is the Achilles Heel but can be resolved fairly easily and I found a pretty good online tutorial about it yesterday. I suspect with the spring replacement and some basic polish work it can be improved dramatically. Pretty simple design that appears easy to work on.
I might have to try to find one locally to handle and look over as the more reviews I read the better I am liking it!
My only hope is if I do find one to look at it is NOT in .243 Winchester - my favorite caliber....
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:57 am

Tractortad and Brother_love along with myself have changed the springs in ours. It makes a difference. Maybe both of them will chime in here and give you there side of the story. I also went one step farther in a total experiment with mine because I have extra springs. I noticed in my gun the stock spring was shorter that the spring I put in the gun. So I took out the spring I put in and trimmed one coil off of that spring with a dremel cutoff wheel. Put the cut off end in the tube first using the factory end to mate up with the sleeve for the hammer. That even made more difference especially on the hammer pull back. I can reach up with my index finger and pull the hammer back now. Had to use the thumb before. After doing this I did take it to the range to make sure of positive ignition. Never had a failure to fire. Shot about 100 rounds. On a side note mine is a 357
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:05 pm

I'm still impatiently waiting on my 30-30 order, still "in process" :( . But I did receive the new steel hammer extenders Henry has replaced the Carlson's aluminum versions with, so I've got that going for me ;) . Mistered, I know where there are two .243's in the racks in Wisconsin, if you want to swing by, one an "old model" that will likely have a better trigger that the current production (based in my limited sample of two). Kind long drive from Oregon, though :) .

edit: Congrats on the new Henry single shot in a fine choice of cartridge! (I forgot the most important part :oops: .)
Last edited by Yornoc3 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:35 pm

ScottCard wrote:I picked up the 30-30 single shot a little over a week ago.

congrats on your latest Henry ....do you load your own ammo .... if so, you will be able to lode aerodynamic spitzer bullets which should elevate a 30-30's performance to a much higher level .... looking forward to your range and use reports as you have time to become much better acquainted with you latest Henry .... hope you are enjoying your 22 carbine .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry rifles to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 111#p82111
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:55 pm

Congrats on the new Henry! That's some great looking woodstock you ended up with, nicely done!

Look forward to hearing how it shoots for you once you get the optics dialed in!

Congrats again!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

ScottCard
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by ScottCard » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:06 am

Thanks for the warm welcome back!

I did manage to do a little shooting today. It was a bit of a struggle since the scope was a bit too high and my bore sight tool had dead batteries. Oh well, that just meant more shooting!

I shot Winchester soft point 150 Gr soft points until I was reasonably sighted in at 25 yards, then went to LeveRevolution 140 Gr and 160 Gr. I ended up shooting about 20 rounds total. My last four shots are circled in white on the attached target, and were shot at 50 yards with the LeveRevolution 160 Gr cartridges. About a 1.5” group. The first two shots were the ones touching and the last two I pulled to the left a bit. Shots were fired off shooting bags.

The rifle is nice and the potential for nice groups is there. The trigger is heavier than I would like but with practice I expect I can improve my marksmanship with it. I think I can definitely get to 2 moa with it, probably better, and that will certainly work for my intended use of it as a woods rifle for deer hunting out to 75-80 yards.

For now, I’m gonna leave the trigger alone. I am no gunsmith but I have gained some experience working on DA revolver triggers by changing hammer and/or trigger return springs. And, I have learned with revolvers to be careful using too light a hammer spring because of increased lock time and reduced (even though reliable) ignition that can potentially rob velocity.

I also fired my first shots from my recently acquired Uberti 1873 Cattleman Birdshead 357 4.75”. It’s a pretty nice SA for the money. The finish isn’t A+ but the workmanship seems pretty doggone good.

All in all it was a nice day of shooting.
Attachments
6E3825B6-7E63-4493-A9B5-778F51237C01.jpeg
6E3825B6-7E63-4493-A9B5-778F51237C01.jpeg (316.36 KiB) Viewed 3597 times
7CD52BB1-357D-4DD6-9BBB-E610D7CB3773.jpeg
7CD52BB1-357D-4DD6-9BBB-E610D7CB3773.jpeg (181.37 KiB) Viewed 3597 times
3 x
Henry Single Shot 30-30

ScottCard
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by ScottCard » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:12 am

JEBar wrote: congrats on your latest Henry ....do you load your own ammo ....
No, I do not load my own ammo. I would like to but have not taken the plunge yet. I need to because I have a 7mm-08 rifle that begs for it. It would be nice to load for 357/38, 44 mag/spec and 30-30 as well. It’s the time commitment that holds me back at this point.
1 x
Henry Single Shot 30-30

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:03 am

Congrats on your .30-30! Lots of years of history in harvesting white-tail deer with that caliber. You've joined a great hunting tradition, Scott. As a woods rifle with planned use of 75-80 yards, it's an excellent choice.

On your revolver. I had the exact same Uberti SA model you have, only in .45LC. Totally agree with your eval of workmanship: ..."the workmanship seems pretty doggone good." And the Birdshead is very comfortable to shoot also.

Good to hear your shooting day turned out nice. That's the best part of it.
PT7
ScottCard wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome back!

...I did manage to do a little shooting today.

...The rifle is nice and the potential for nice groups is there. The trigger is heavier than I would like but with practice I expect I can improve my marksmanship with it. I think I can definitely get to 2 moa with it, probably better, and that will certainly work for my intended use of it as a woods rifle for deer hunting out to 75-80 yards.

...I also fired my first shots from my recently acquired Uberti 1873 Cattleman Birdshead 357 4.75”. It’s a pretty nice SA for the money. The finish isn’t A+ but the workmanship seems pretty doggone good.

...All in all it was a nice day of shooting.
1 x

~Пока~